Anderson had two strange fights against Weidman...

Really? MW isn't all that impressive outside of Weidman, Jacare, and Rockhold, and Romero if you want to include him. Machida looks old, Mousasi doesn't look interested, and Bisping and Silva are past it. I don't see Weidman anywhere outside the top 5 for a long time

If the USADA didn't have something to do with his last performance, I agree with you, but without accusing anyone, we had something like 6 new champs right after the new testings kicked in. A wrestler without cardio will rarely win a top 10 fight in 2016, even in a weak division. Interesting to see what happens in his next fights.

I honestly can't believe people think Weidman was UTTERLY DOMINATING haha.

Considered he wasn't fighting some scrub he was supposed to finish twice in less than two rounds each fight, scoring a ko and a knockdown, he was kinda, relatively utterly dominating.

Most agree that Anderson in his prime would beat Weidman. I doubt Anderson at 40 beats Bisping.
No.

Weidman isn't even close to the Lutter, Marquardt, Sonnen, Leites, Cote, Irvin, Okami level fighters Anderson feasted upon during his run

I would like to see another fight play out, the first fight he was clowning around and got punished for it. The 2nd fight was 1-0 Weidman and freak leg break happened. I don't care what anyone says about the 2nd fight and it wasn't a forgone conclusion that the fight was over anyone who thinks that is showing bias or just being stupid, just look at Silva vs Sonnen 1 for a prime example.
If Weidman doesn't finish and fades in the later rounds like he did against machida and Luke late then of course Silva could finish him!

That being said Silva has been out awhile and put some age on since those times, he may be to old to fight top 5 guys anymore but the Bisping fight will be a good marker on what he has left.

War spider

and those 2 strange (fluky?) fights are weidman's best accomplishements

it's the only time silva did it after getten beaten up though.

every other time he did it he was handily in control. i think the chris spooked him

That's why it was so exaggerated. He KNEW he was in deep trouble with Weidman from go. He was quickly rattled and that Weidman genuinely did not lose the fight before it even happened like it's said of various opponents Silva had beaten over his UFC/MW Champ run, and I think it dawned on him that he was not the superior fighter that night, and that his time was over. He overcompensated on the theatrics and got KTFO COLD.

Silva did what he always did in the first fight, he just was fighting a superior fighter. He was getting smashed and headed for another KO in fight 2.

Nothing strange.
Fight 2, couldn't agree more - Fight 1, don't agree to be honest. He took the taunting way overboard in that fight, he only had done it against fighters with zero threat in the past e.g. Maia, Bonnar. He did do it against Griffin, but even that was only after he'd lit him up and knew Forrest was broken mentally. His mistake was the excessive taunting - Weidman had gassed in that second round of fight 1. Silva would have won and who knows what would have happened to the future of the MW division... but yeah "superior fighter" - I disagree.

Silva looked old in both fights.

silva has done nothing since 2012 that proves he can win 15 seconds of a round against weidman, let alone a whole fight.

the leg break saved him from another concussion that was inevitably going to come. The guy was losing clinch battles against nick fkn diaz. His chin is toast, weidman would win and it would be easy.

I think one could argue Weidman took more damage to the head in his last fight than Anderson did in his whole career... Who knows how Weidman will come back from that type of beating.

Well these are the same people who still refuse to admit that Anderson is a proven steroid cheat.
True. I don't really understand the behavior I guess. Overeem is one of my faves. Did he fail a test? Yeah. Doesn't affect me at all though. Clearly if it's so easy to do what he did by taking steroids everyone can do it...

That's why it was so exaggerated. He KNEW he was in deep trouble with Weidman from go. He was quickly rattled and that Weidman genuinely did not lose the fight before it even happened like it's said of various opponents Silva had beaten over his UFC/MW Champ run, and I think it dawned on him that he was not the superior fighter that night, and that his time was over. He overcompensated on the theatrics and got KTFO COLD.
i completely agree. weidman took him down as soon as the fight started and landed some VICIOUS gnp. he knew he was in for a long night, and hoping to incite an emotional mistake was his best chance. everyone knew the blueprint to beating silva already. chael beat on him for 4.5 rounds already. weidman had the skills, strength, mental toughness, and better physical gifts than chael. i think anderson realized this very quickly as soon as he got taken down and hit.

Back