Anderson/GSP vs Ronda/Conner tradeoff

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is it worth it? Is the UFC really in a better place than it was a few years ago?

In terms of PPV draw: Ronda (post-190) + Conor (post-189) > peak GSP + peak Silva

In terms of mainstream fame: Ronda (post-190) >> Conor (post-189) + peak GSP + peak Silva

In terms of fighting prowess: GSP would LnP the shit out of Conor and beat the shit out of Ronda. Silva would beat shit out of Conor and Ronda simultaneously.

Pros and cons. Overall if you're a hardcore fan who cares about skill and fighting prowess, it's a bad trade. If you're talking about mainstream and financial success, it's a great trade. As far as the UFC's concerned, they've never been in a better place: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=UFC&cmpt=q&tz=Etc/GMT+7

Define better?

Their drawing power can't really be compared as the formers' careers are over (essentially) and the latters' is still upsurging.

Fan wise? GSP was a superb, grappling based champion that was hated on the daily by Shertards left and right. Anderson was a striking champion that proved to be a juicer who was hated and loved in equal parts.

Really as long as Connor gets the FW belt and tests positive sometime soon not a lot has changed.

Ronda is a bigger mainstream/casual fan star than Anderson+GSP combined

Conors hype will get wild when he beats Aldo

why do people think Anderson was a big draw? he was above average until chael came into the picture. GSP was probably the most consistent draw averaging slightly over 800k ppv buys. so besides not having brock, the ufc is in a better place right now.

why do people think Anderson was a big draw? he was above average until chael came into the picture. GSP was probably the most consistent draw averaging slightly over 800k ppv buys. so besides not having brock, the ufc is in a better place right now.

True. Hendo is in the same category - as well-known as we think he is, he was never a proven draw. Honorable mention goes to Rampage - he has been a draw despite a string of underwhelming performances.

I'd say it depends on McGregor. Part of what made GSP and Anderson draws is that they were in title fights non-stop and kept winning. The same will be true of Rousey considering how much better than her competition she is.

Will Conor be able to be a long reigning champ or will Aldo and/or Frankie Edgar prove to be too much? If he loses and has to go back to #1 contender and less type fights, his drawing power will take a big hit. People really only want to see title fights or rare draw vs. draw (Anderson vs. Diaz for example), so you have to be a champ to draw as the PPV numbers of guys like Rashad and Chael when they weren't in title fights would show.

If Conor is a long reigning champ, I'd say the UFC is in a better place. Rousey and McGregor are already flirting with 1M PPV buys, and I'm not sure Rousey in particular has even hit her ceiling yet. Anderson needed the absolute perfect matchups (Chael selling the fight like crazy, rematch vs. Weidman with Rousey-Tate coming off TUF in co-main) to hit those kind of numbers. I don't think I'd put Anderson's drawing power in with the other 3 because they have shown they can draw with far less than perfect foes opposite them, which he never really did.

Considering their youth (and the total lack of damage Rousey takes), Rousey and McGregor likely to be more active than the older GSP and Anderson were too, which is no small consideration. Might be an extra BIG PPV or two a year thrown in there just due to activity.

Makes me wonder.. What if GSP and Silva were as marketable as Rond and Connor / UFC put as much effort and finance into marketing them as they did with Ronda and Connor.

Honestly I realy dislike the schoolyard mentality Ronda and Conor bring to MMA, not even in regard to their own behaviour but rather the community it attracts. They are exciting fighters though, maybe it's a petty complaint.

GSP was the best at ensuring victory, but he's not nearly as exciting as Ronda or Connor.

I think that there is more potential with these two. I am thinking this considering that Conor was able to do near million and Ronda is doing big PPVs and they are relatively new stars. GSP and Anderson did get those numbers till after 5/6 years on top.

But then again, who knows how the future will turn out? Maybe they wont get the right match ups and their numbers will stay the same.

I love Conor to death but I'll take GSP over any of them.

Anderson and GSP because famous due to skill. Ronda has become famous due to hype. Conor shouldn't be lumped in the same category. The worst part about this whole hype job bullshit is that they are going to fuck up the Aldo v Conor card.

Instead of getting an awesome fight in Condit v Lawler we have to see Ronda Co-Main

In terms of fighting prowess: GSP would LnP the shit out of Conor and beat the shit out of Ronda. Silva would beat shit out of Conor and Ronda simultaneously.

Pros and cons. Overall if you're a hardcore fan who cares about skill and fighting prowess, it's a bad trade. If you're talking about mainstream and financial success, it's a great trade. As far as the UFC's concerned, they've never been in a better place: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=UFC&cmpt=q&tz=Etc/GMT+7

:icon_lol:
of course GSP and Silva are gonna beat Ronda and Conor. Silva has a 30 lbs over conor and 50 lbs over ronda. Serious?

For the UFC it's monumentally better, for MMA and long time fans it is a tragedy.

Meh. Anderson's my favorite fighter of all time so of course I miss him, but I don't care about GSP being gone.

But I also like how Ronda's really making the sport popular. It's pretty cool.

Back