Anderson Getting the Respect He Deserves(Long Read)

If you don't respect a guy who notched 10 title defenses then you simply don't know enough about the sport. You don't have to like him, you can think he's a c*nt, but if you don't respect him it's only because of your ignorance.
I don't take away from Silva's legacy, he was a monster and an all time great. He's still a dick in the cage, and still a PED cheat.

All the scandal did was give people who allready didnt like him ammo. I dont think his fans got grand visions of asterisks

way too often a fighter begins to decline and just like that he is given no respect

tough business

Haha no he is not. I Never thought he would lose to Bisping. That was embarassing.

long read??

holy shit dude, are you in kindergarten?

I don't respect people who bash others for steroid usage then get popped themselves.

Silva is a steroid cheat. One-dimensional king of the weakest division in MMA.

His greatest nemesis was a one-dimensional pillow-fisted wrestler with no sub defence.

/thread

Says the Conor fans.
You should probably check my post history, I enjoy watching Conor fight but I'm highly critical of his massive weight cut, preferential treatment, and retarded nuthuggers.

Dudes a cheater no respect from me.

You can't be the goat if you were caught on steroids. It's true for every other sport, and it's true here. Don't know who else is using, and it doesn't really excuse him. Bottom line if you're cheating and get caught it tarnishes your legacy. Look at Barry Bonds, Mcguire, Lance Armstrong, etc etc. Fans in those sports put an asterisk next to their achievements because they cheated.

In no particular order.

th

th

th

th

Anyone trying to remove Anderson from the above photos should have their MMA fan license revoked. Yes, Anderson made a mistake in the twilight of his career and that is exactly what it was, a mistake...in the twilight of his career. I cannot convict him as a career long cheat and remove him from the above based on a move he made after losing his title and breaking his leg. I'm not saying Anderson is #1 but the above 4 guys beat any 4 you want to put against them in a GOAT tourny. I'll take the 4 above and enjoy going undefeated in that tournament.

In no particular order.

th

th

th

th

Anyone trying to remove Anderson from the above photos should have their MMA fan license revoked. Yes, Anderson made a mistake in the twilight of his career and that is exactly what it was, a mistake...in the twilight of his career. I cannot convict him as a career long cheat and remove him from the above based on a move he made after losing his title and breaking his leg. I'm not saying Anderson is #1 but the above 4 guys beat any 4 you want to put against them in a GOAT tourny. I'll take the 4 above and enjoy going undefeated in that tournament.

Being caught even once puts your entire career into question. You only see this kind of benefit of the doubt with Silva. you don't see it with other fighters or in other sports. Nobody thought Armstrong cheated only in that one race where he was caught, late in his career. Nobody thought Bonds only cheated in the gmes around the period he was caught. We don't know how long he cheated, but no there is not a rational reason to think it was for one fight in his career. Also for the millionth time he didn't take steroids to rehab his leg, and coming off an injury doesn't make cheating ok.

Was never a fan. Felt he was arrogant, disrespectful and unsportsmanlike from the start. I'm glad that time has proved me to be correct.

Hopefully that was his last fight in the UFC.

Being caught even once puts your entire career into question. You only see this kind of benefit of the doubt with Silva. you don't see it with other fighters or in other sports. Nobody thought Armstrong cheated only in that one race where he was caught, late in his career. Nobody thought Bonds only cheated in the gmes around the period he was caught. We don't know how long he cheated, but no there is not a rational reason to think it was for one fight in his career. Also for the millionth time he didn't take steroids to rehab his leg, and coming off an injury doesn't make cheating ok.

I'm not saying cheating is "o.k." I'm saying that I am hesitant to pull Anderson from the GOAT talks based off that one test when over the last 2-3 years everyone around the sport has come out and stated that PED use in the UFC is chronic and just about everyone is on something. PED use is a blight on the modern sport landscape, across the spectrum. The UFC is still young and whereas in some other sports PED use might be less, in MMA, apparently PED use is rampant.

You know, there was a time on Sherdog when even insinuating a fighter was on the gear would get you banned. Then we had all these PED accusations start flying and GSP even decided to step away after he repeatedly asked the UFC to step up testing and clean up its act. So you know what happened? We got a thousand PED threads on Sherdog and even ones specifically calling out GSP as a cheat who never got caught. Same thing with Fedor. Go back to 2006 on this message board and if you so much as whispered Fedor was juicing you would be banned on the spot. Now its pretty well known that Pride didn't give a shit who juiced.

Anderson cheated but are you certain for his entire career? Should his legacy be removed from the records? See that is another problem. Should we disregard Anderson's 16 consecutive UFC wins record? How about his 12 consecutive title defenses?

way too often a fighter begins to decline and just like that he is given no respect

tough business
so true and so different from other sports. Anderson will always be one of the greats and my best moments watching MMA was when he was fighting. If people can't appreciate him for the excellent fighter he is, that's on them.

I'm not saying cheating is "o.k." I'm saying that I am hesitant to pull Anderson from the GOAT talks based off that one test when over the last 2-3 years everyone around the sport has come out and stated that PED use in the UFC is chronic and just about everyone is on something. PED use is a blight on the modern sport landscape, across the spectrum. The UFC is still young and whereas in some other sports PED use might be less, in MMA, apparently PED use is rampant.

You know, there was a time on Sherdog when even insinuating a fighter was on the gear would get you banned. Then we had all these PED accusations start flying and GSP even decided to step away after he repeatedly asked the UFC to step up testing and clean up its act. So you know what happened? We got a thousand PED threads on Sherdog and even ones specifically calling out GSP as a cheat who never got caught. Same thing with Fedor. Go back to 2006 on this message board and if you so much as whispered Fedor was juicing you would be banned on the spot. Now its pretty well known that Pride didn't give a shit who juiced.

Anderson cheated but are you certain for his entire career? Should his legacy be removed from the records? See that is another problem. Should we disregard Anderson's 16 consecutive UFC wins record? How about his 12 consecutive title defenses?
I hve no idea if it ws for one fight or his entire career. The fact that he failed his first random test under USADA doesn't look good though. That's the point, when someone is busted it does cast doubt on his entire career, we have no way of knowing when he started using. It's that way in every other sport as well. Disgraced after the first failed test and an asterisk on your legacy.

As far as banning for accusations some people do go too far and should be banned. However mods have come out and said Crave isn't as worried about steroid speculation as they are immature insults towards fighters. EVERY sport has rampant cheating pretty much, but known cheaters are still disgraced without exception. I still think he was a great fighter, but he can't be on the goat list as a KNOWN cheater.

Did roids, lied about it, denies it and fights like simple jack and loses to Michael Bisping. You wanna label a steroid cheat the greatest of all time? He is an all time great (with an asterisk) but he really has shamed himself these last few years. His fight IQ is gone too. And the cheating and clowning is lame

Last edited:
Back