Anderson Getting the Respect He Deserves(Long Read)

This fight was super interesting because it makes you think about the rules and what MMA/UFC, the arena filling shows should be about. I thought Anderson was the better fighter. It's like he's a victim of his own style. He seems more confident countering, knowing not to give his opponents too much to counter. Bisping took that space and time Anderson gave him and took the decision away from him.

It would have been interesting to see if Anderson took a loss like this earlier in his career, assuming he became a more aggressive fighter. But why? Shouldn't a counter fighter of with that defensive ability and landing percentage be rewarded? No, because it could be very boring? Why is aggression rewarded at all when arguably the GOAT has proven not to really need it. It should be interesting the next few days reading the forums and sites until the UFC hype turns up again.
No question Anderson is definitely heralded as the more skilled of the two. Bisping proved to have higher fight intelligence however.

The only thing worst than Silva fans are Silva haters. GOAT UFC champion

What I find most interesting about A Silva, is how far he's fallen.

I know every fighter gets shit on and forgotten when they fall off, but it still surprises me when it happens. He was Jesus for a minute, and yesterday before the fight, almost nobody on these boards gave a shit. There were 25 McG threads and one Andy thread.

The banned substance scandal really hurt him.

I know every fighter gets shit on and forgotten when they fall off, but it still surprises me when it happens. He was Jesus for a minute, and yesterday before the fight, almost nobody on these boards gave a shit. There were 25 McG threads and one Andy thread.

That was weird. But the UFC didn't really hype this fight as much as they should have. And it was on fucking fightpass... one of the GOATs, an absolute legend (not like every other veteran who has fought before 2005 is a legend, but an actual legend) is fighting on an online stream that crashes every 30 mins. Disrespectful.

I bet if AS was co headlining a stacked PPV, there would have been more hype and more talk about it.

Don't mistake Sherdog for the real world. I think thats part of the TS point. There's been a very vocal minority that constantly spews the hate. But they are just the minority. Most fans understand Silva's greatness and appreciate the countless high-lite reel finishes and WTF moments of pure entertainment the man has given us.

The secret to Anderson' success...

steroids.jpg

Don't mistake Sherdog for the real world. I think thats part of the TS point. There's been a very vocal minority that constantly spews the hate. But they are just the minority. Most fans understand Silva's greatness and appreciate the countless high-lite reel finishes and WTF moments of pure entertainment the man has given us.
Yeah, Lance Armstrong's fans appreciate the breathtaking victories too.

people don't think they're biased against Silva but compare him to Lance Armstrong.

Silva fights in a very disrespectful manner to his opponents and his fans, believes in his own delusional aura, and you want us to respect him?

It's a new low, kid.
If you don't respect a guy who notched 10 title defenses then you simply don't know enough about the sport. You don't have to like him, you can think he's a c*nt, but if you don't respect him it's only because of your ignorance.

No doubt Silva has one of the goat collections of incredible, brutal finishes. He definitely entertains.

But mma fans are ruthless. You go from Jesus to a washed-up hype job within 6 months. But the banned substance scandal definitely magnified it all.

I think the main issue is the how far the PED scandal was taken with him (by fans/non-fans). He got busted, and used a completely WTF-esque defense. No one's denying or praising that; his fanbase as well as his detractors had a massive shaking of heads at that one.

But the problems arise when people use that to smear his entire legacy. Look, I get it - it raises the question, to be sure. But in no way is it solid proof that the man spent his whole career on the sauce. You can call me delusional or naïve, but the truth is that we'll never know for certain, and I will continue to be a fan.

I don't know maybe its the 3 year Anderson bash fest this site has put us through but it was really nice to see Bisping give Anderson the praise he deserves. Made me gain more respect for Bisping and I found myself being really happy for him. But it wasn't only Bisping but also the commentators, media outlets, and fans both hardcore and casual who were showing much hespect, heverence, and appreciation to one of the sports true greats.

For so long now trolls and haters have dominated any conversation that has to do with Anderson. They've tried to rob him of his legacy in everyway possible. They said his competition was weak and Weidman had already surpassed him as MW GOAT after 3 defenses. They said he was just a product of Zuffa hype. They accused him of being a life long steroid user. They tried to remove him from the GOAT discussion. They even tried to give his legacy to Lyoto Machida at one point claiming Lyoto was always better and would have reigned for 7 years had he been a MW. And on and on just non-stop.

Well, leading up to, during, and after the fight it was refreshing to see fans, commentators, other fighters, and media outlets giving Anderson the respect he deserves and in reality never lost. It was a nice reminder that the haters and trolls are just a vocal minority and that after years of bashing, smearing. losses, and scadal...when its all said and done...everyone still regards Anderson as arguably the best and most compelling mixed martial artist the world has ever known.

Great night and a great fight. Congrats Bisping! War Spider!!

Cliffs:

Anderson is GOAT.

161_Anderson_Silva_vs_Nick_Diaz.0.0.jpg

Don't worry, they're well aware of it. It's just that now that he's on decline, they finally feel the freedom to spew all the hate without much consequences.

people don't think they're biased against Silva but compare him to Lance Armstrong.
People don't think they are biased FOR Anderson, but continually act like he wasn't a convicted cheater.

Let's see, Long time champ. Check. Busted for roids. Check. That much is comparable. We know a lot about the lengths of Lance's cheating because he was exposed on a larger scale, that's the difference. We know that Anderson DID cheat though, and that will always (rightfully so) pop up in any "Anderson is the greatest" bullshit. The greatest don't need to cheat.

Trying to minimize cheating is foolhardy.

V
I don't know maybe its the 3 year Anderson bash fest this site has put us through but it was really nice to see Bisping give Anderson the praise he deserves. Made me gain more respect for Bisping and I found myself being really happy for him. But it wasn't only Bisping but also the commentators, media outlets, and fans both hardcore and casual who were showing much hespect, heverence, and appreciation to one of the sports true greats.

For so long now trolls and haters have dominated any conversation that has to do with Anderson. They've tried to rob him of his legacy in everyway possible. They said his competition was weak and Weidman had already surpassed him as MW GOAT after 3 defenses. They said he was just a product of Zuffa hype. They accused him of being a life long steroid user. They tried to remove him from the GOAT discussion. They even tried to give his legacy to Lyoto Machida at one point claiming Lyoto was always better and would have reigned for 7 years had he been a MW. And on and on just non-stop.

Well, leading up to, during, and after the fight it was refreshing to see fans, commentators, other fighters, and media outlets giving Anderson the respect he deserves and in reality never lost. It was a nice reminder that the haters and trolls are just a vocal minority and that after years of bashing, smearing. losses, and scadal...when its all said and done...everyone still regards Anderson as arguably the best and most compelling mixed martial artist the world has ever known.

Great night and a great fight. Congrats Bisping! War Spider!!

Cliffs:

Anderson is GOAT.

161_Anderson_Silva_vs_Nick_Diaz.0.0.jpg

Very well spoken! Respect for both, they gave a great fight.

People don't think they are biased FOR Anderson, but continually act like he wasn't a convicted cheater.

Let's see, Long time champ. Check. Busted for roids. Check. That much is comparable. We know a lot about the lengths of Lance's cheating because he was exposed on a larger scale, that's the difference. We know that Anderson DID cheat though, and that will always (rightfully so) pop up in any "Anderson is the greatest" bullshit. The greatest don't need to cheat.

Trying to minimize cheating is foolhardy.

But see at this point this all just comes off as petty. You look bitter and desperate to smear him for whatever reason. Maybe he's a life long ped user, maybe he used to heal his leg and get back in shape quickly, maybe he took some thai sex pills. Who knows. The silent majority doesn't care is the point.

I think you'll find most people are against drug use in sport.

True. But most people do not write off and discredit everything a fighter did if he fails a drug test. Only a few people do that. And most of them do it for fanboy purposes and don't genuinely believe the stuff that they spout.

Back