Anderson gets a shot at the MW belt with a win, why not Diaz?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Combat Wombatt, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Combat Wombatt

Combat Wombatt Brown Belt

So, Anderson who is coming off of a 2 losses gets an immediate shot at the MW belt with a win over Diaz who is a WW. Diaz is also coming off of 2 losses, however, his two losses weren't absolute annihilations like Anderson's were. Diaz's were decision losses.

I can understand Anderson getting an immediate rematch after his first loss and the loss of the title. He was a dominant champ who was a legend in the sport. However, he already got his immediate rematch and was decisively losing that fight also before the leg break. I don't think there needs to be a third fight when he lost the first 2 by destruction. It'd be different if he was 1-1, not 0-2. We are going to start getting into Cain vs. Bigfoot and Cain vs. JDS ridiculousness here.

So, what the hell, there aren't too many challengers for Weidman's belt. Why not Diaz vs. Weidman for the title if Diaz beats Anderson? After all, Anderson's a legend and GOAT in many people's minds.

2. Weidman

Weidman Still my booooy!

He wont get immediate shot at me, no way. I'm done with him.

3. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

Cuz Dana doesn't actually like Nick. By all accounts Diaz isn't the easiest to deal with from a business perspective (compared to most other fighters).

4. Gatts

Gatts Green Belt

Diaz gets a shot at WW title with a win.
    Dana said this month's ago.

5. roller

roller Black Belt

So I take it you actually believe Dana White?

It's that time of the month for Dana to hype the next fight that "could" earn somebody a title shot.

6. Drinii

Drinii Blue Belt

bc dana knows diaz is too much for weidman and doesnt wanna see a diaz be champ

7. Deleroux

Deleroux Purple Belt

Because Diaz isn't Anderson.

Don't be obtuse.

And there are a lot of challengers in MW division. It's a gd shark tank right now.

Diaz is being used as Anderson's test, to see if he's truly done, or if he's still got it. This fight isn't about Diaz. It's about Anderson.

8. Inuteu

Inuteu Yellow Belt

that kind of shit is nothing new

I think they should do a kind of grand prix bracket, to make things very clear about who gets the next title shot

but today, its just random shit

9. roller

roller Black Belt

bc dana knows diaz would be wrestlefucked by weidman 24/7 x 365 and doesn't wanna hear fans bitch about it

10. blackjackz

blackjackz Purple Belt

You want to know why Nick Diaz doesn't get a shot @ title if he beats Silva?? Not really hard to understand... Anderson has a fair amount of goodwill capital for holding the title for such an extended period of time... and he lost via a freak injury last time... not taking anything away from Chris... I think Wiedman was most likely going to win that bout regardless... but it was not the way anyone wanted to see that fight end... a third go round is a natural...

Nick on the other hand has done nothing to this point @ MW... nothing... lets see what he does against Silva... if he impresses... perhaps it would be in the cards.... but for all anyone knows, Silva is going to turn up lame coming back from the injury, and 39 years of age.. there is a lot of question marks... but guaranteeing Nick a shot, would be ridiculous... Silva on the other hand, has earned any special considerations being granted... there is only a select few fighters who would be given this type of treatment... and in most cases it is unwarranted... I for one have no problem with Anderson being given an exception... Diaz though is no where near that stature...

11. Donny White

Donny White Brown Belt

Because Dana is banking on Diaz losing...

12. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

If anderson gets another shot it's for the same reasons diaz got gsp and anderson. He's a draw. Jacare and rockhold are the next obvious contenders otherwise. I'm fine with this.

Diaz will probably get a ww shot off a win here as well as he'll be even more of a cult hero and big name.

13. roller

roller Black Belt

How does a win over Nick Diaz earn him a 3rd shot?

I understand he is a legend. But hell if that's the only reason they mind as well just give him the 3rd fight. Because a win over Nick Diaz does nothing to prove he is ready for Weidman.

Nick Diaz and Chris Weidman are worlds apart. Nick Diaz is a WW moving up for the fight. Chris Weidman is a guy that could arguably fight at 205. Nick Diaz has subpar wrestling. Chris Weidman has amazing wrestling.

14. ackileez

ackileez ANALINGUSing a PAWG

I know this ship has sailed a while ago, but it is getting worse and worse.

There was once a time when I really thought this was going to be a sport, then top guys like Okami and Fitch get cut, Brock is touted as No 1 P4P, and Chael talks his way into title shots...

Now we're here, eyepoke champ jones is suspected using PEDs, evidence says he for sure somthing is up, and Dana and NSAC seem to be working together at an attempt to hide this from the public.

what can i say though? a good fight is a good fight

15. Captain_Dammitt

Captain_Dammitt Brown Belt

Silva has a tad better record when it comes to title shots.

16. Tuaminator

Tuaminator Blue Belt

Cause diaz is going to fail the post fight drug test anyway.

17. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Why?? He's 11 time defending MW champ and the rematch would sell

18. AWilder

AWilder Brown Belt

for the love of sherdog, learn how to end a sentence. :rolleyes:

Silva gets a shot because it makes the UFC money. It's that simple. 99% of UFC match ups are all about making cents, not sense.

19. blackjackz

blackjackz Purple Belt

At no point did I suggest that a win over Diaz EARNS Anderson a 3rd shot... but I believe that Anderson has EARNED special consideration given what he has done in the sport, and specifically @ MW in the UFC.... I personally have no problem with the UFC giving Silva another crack at the MW title, if he can prove fitness against a Nick... that to me is the only real question... Silva is going to either prove that his leg has healed enough, that he can compete... I believe most fans were disappointed in the way the second fight ended (again, not taking anything away from Wiedman's win)... Anderson is 39 years old... this is the UFC making a concession to one of (if not THE) greatest fighters of all time... and while I can often be critical of some of the business decisions that Dana and the UFC have made in search of the all mighty $$$... this is one that I think makes sense... if there is any fighter on the roster who has earned special consideration, then I believe Anderson Silva is the one...

20. weezul

weezul Orange Belt

That's okay. He can check into rehab and all will be forgiven.