And that's how you ruin a career

Pico was rushed too soon. Pico has a weaker chin than you’d like.

well, I’m sure the option of less resistance was available but he had the vouchers. When Bob Cook and Javier Mendes publicly jizz themselves over the kid(guys Coker holds in the highest regard as they’ve served him his greatest prospects like DC and Luke) top fighters from all over talk about how ridiculous of a beast he is and Pico himself wants to jump right in...you let him.

Borics was more of a level matchup in part than Corrales was. Henry had fought more of the top FWs in Bellator. Borics had more fights but Pico had fought and beat better comp like Higo to this point. I don’t think it was getting thrown to the wolves. He just lost for pretty much the same reason he lost the other fights. His defense is shit and he doesn’t have the threshold to make up for it. This fight also showed that while his pure wrestling is excellent. It’s really basic for MMA and Borics weathered with no damage because Pico isn’t a GNP or Sub threat.

I don't understand Coker's rush with him though. Sure, he was competitive with both Corrales & Borics but he still wasn't ready for them IMO. He should have been learning his trade & building his confidence vs journeyman opponents until he'd had about ten-twelve fights & then begun to face to face contenders & fellow top-level prospects.
Now, his chin may be exposed & his confidence might be shot.
It's pretty much that Coker and Bellator desperately want a young up and comer that's basically developed in Bellator alone to be this next hypejob talent. They know they can't keep just keep trying to pay off ex-UFC guys forever. They have to say that they have more than ex-UFC guys, but their own guys who decided to stay strictly in Bellator to prove they're legit competition to the UFC.

Exactly, I can't believe the idiots here that say he isn't good. He showcased VERY good wrestling, and hes got that rare KO power. And like you said, hes only 22 lol.
Just a bunch of fair weather fans with elementary MMA knowledge here on sherdopes.
Dude literally went from the hottest prospect in mma to getting flatlined repeatedly.

I am a Pico fan. I want to eat crow, but his defense is pathetic, and his chin appears to be even worse.

he 4-3 at 22. I do think he could rebuild himself and his reputation if he goes on an absolute rampage. The problem is that he simply hasn't shown a chin. He is a glass cannon. He won't make it far in MMA like that. it would be one thing if he were chinny but with good defense, but his defense is shaky at best. you can train defense, but can't train chin. he is able to take shots by 35ers, but gets dropped by every 45er he fights.

I am just being real. He is still young, so he needs to take some SERIOUS time off and reflect, retool, and work on his damned striking defense.

It goes both ways though.. if they just let him fight cans you'd be saying "oh he's never beat anyone good, he's just a can crusher".. by coming back against a rising prospect, if he wins then it vaults him right back into the mix. Every fight is a risk too btw, Pico lost his first fight against a jobber/journeyman in 24 seconds, so there's not even safe can-crushing fights in MMA.

well, I’m sure the option of less resistance was available but he had the vouchers. When Bob Cook and Javier Mendes publicly jizz themselves over the kid(guys Coker holds in the highest regard as they’ve served him his greatest prospects like DC and Luke) top fighters from all over talk about how ridiculous of a beast he is and Pico himself wants to jump right in...you let him.

Borics was more of a level matchup in part than Corrales was. Henry had fought more of the top FWs in Bellator. Borics had more fights but Pico had fought and beat better comp like Higo to this point. I don’t think it was getting thrown to the wolves. He just lost for pretty much the same reason he lost the other fights. His defense is shit and he doesn’t have the threshold to make up for it. This fight also showed that while his pure wrestling is excellent. It’s really basic for MMA and Borics weathered with no damage because Pico isn’t a GNP or Sub threat.

His wrestling was all takedowns, no control, so as you noted he never damaged or threatened with subs.

Really shows you how impressive guys like Khabib, Usman, Gillespie are, the Control is at another level and let’s them beat up and sub hunt opponents with no fear of a scramble they will lose.

His coaches get to pick his fights! This is baby steps and they are not wolves,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Kid has gotten more chances than Sage Northcut and CM Punk together!

He has all the skills in the world but no chin. He won't be able to stack up enough wins to reach the top of the division without his chin failing him.

Pico is skilled but some people just dont have it. He has now lost 3 times to people i have never heard of on large stages. You can have elite skills but it doesnt make up for not being a natural fighter. Chris Leben/Mark Hunt come to mind, very limited skill set but natural born warriors who will just win based off toughness, heart, and power

Mark Hunt? He’s about as good a striker as any HW.

I mean it’s just stupid fighter development, he’s so talented but so far behind the mma curb with these matchups.

You know if he’s fighting the guys Danis fights he’s putting them all out cold, he’d probably kill Dildo too.

But credit the kid for taking tough ass fights, wish he had a agent/coaches that would look out for his career better

No one comes back from two brutal KO's back to back...(The Chris Widmann special)

Pico's Career is OVER. No one comes back from Two Brutal KO's and goes on to become champ, especially not so early in your career lol

Put a fork in him Coker, He's FOOKING DONE
Arlovski started with a terrible chin that got worse before it got better, but yeah it’s a bad way to a bring a prospect through.

No one comes back from two brutal KO's back to back...(The Chris Widmann special)

Pico's Career is OVER. No one comes back from Two Brutal KO's and goes on to become champ, especially not so early in your career lol

Put a fork in him Coker, He's FOOKING DONE

That's wrong, it just depends on his strength of character
Some guys who have been brutally KOd and gone on to be champs include, off the top of my head...

Bisping
Woodley
Poirier
Arlovski
Dos Anjos
Liddell
Lawler
Garbrant
Ortiz

thats just the UFC...if we extend to other prestigious championships:

MacDonald
Bader
Wanderlei
Coleman
Crocop
Aoki
Folayang
Overeem
Moraes
Babalu

It can be done

I didn't watch him before mma, did he do something amazing? He appears to be 100% hype.
I think he was either on dancing with the Stars or ran a Lazer Tag place where kids have birthday parties and whatnot. I'm not sure which. Could have been both. Much like you, I was too lazy to google.

Your laziness aside, Pico's prior accomplishments are undeniable. He's been world class at every sport he's touched. And if he'd just calm his tits in the cage, he'd be world class at mma as well. Dudes got the most vicious body shots in the game. But he also might have the worst chin.

That's wrong, it just depends on his strength of character
Some guys who have been brutally KOd and gone on to be champs include, off the top of my head...

Bisping
Woodley
Poirier
Arlovski
Dos Anjos
Liddell
Lawler
Garbrant
Ortiz

thats just the UFC...if we extend to other prestigious championships:

MacDonald
Bader
Wanderlei
Coleman
Crocop
Aoki
Folayang
Overeem
Moraes
Babalu

It can be done

You have a great Memory, checking Arlovski we see that he was indeed KO'd twice before becoming champ, I guess I was wrong, I once tried to find out if anyone had ever come back from 3 straight and went on to ever win anything but failed but it looks like 2 straight ain't so bad

He asked for it

Literally

What he asked for

He did. But it's everyone around him that is most at fault, for him it's probably very hard not to believe his own hype, older more experienced people around him should have had a more sober set of eyes. I never got why they rushed him.

I knew when they announced the fight with Borics it was a bad idea. 12-0 pro record, undefeated as an amateur, undefeated in muay thai. They should have just kept feeding him bums for a couple more years and let him get more cage time before a step up in competition.

Didnt Freddie Roach say he could be a champion boxer? Mayhe he should switch to that. Hes young enough

Back