And Jose Aldo is next. Mark my words.

Stopped caring after "mark my words" not that it's impossible, I just don't like people from the future.

The irony in that statement, is if you replaced "Mendes" with "Dillashaw" and "Aldo" with "Barao" these are literally all things people were saying before the Barao-Dillashaw fight.

I haven't seen anyone touting Barao's skills defensively. He's a hurricane of a fighter, but a fighter who moves well from side to side and has an effective jab has a legitimate chance to beat him. Admittedly, I was picking Barao to win this fight, but I've always maintained that Cruz can beat him should he come back as good as he was prior to his injuries.

The irony in that statement, is if you replaced "Mendes" with "Dillashaw" and "Aldo" with "Barao" these are literally all things people were saying before the Barao-Dillashaw fight.
Possibly. Except the fight positions are opposite this time.

Barao is a one dimensional, one shot striker with shit foot movement.
Dillashaw is great at combos, picking dominant angles and getting in and out.

Replace Barao with Mendes.
Replace Dillashaw with Aldo.

I picked Dillashaw to upset Barao.

I don't care what other people were saying about Barao vs Dillashaw. They were wrong. I've never been that high on Barao, and he's sloppy. Aldo is not.

Aldo wins.

Nope. I haven't seen Mendes show the same type of versatility Dillashaw showcased tonight. Also, Aldo is far better defensively than Barao is, and that's why he has been virtually unchallenged throughout his entire career.

Aldo had trouble with hominick and.the Edgar fight was close

I haven't seen anyone touting Barao's skills defensively.

I meant within that quote of his. It was:

Mendes is in love with his striking now, Aldo still has better foot movement, head movement, striking prowess - etc.

So it would have turned into:

Dillashaw is in love with his striking now, Barao still has better foot movement, head movement, striking prowess - etc.

I saw someone earlier this week post a comment that was almost ^ this quote word-for-word. I wish I could find it and bump it.

I don't care what other people were saying about Barao vs Dillashaw. They were wrong. I've never been that high on Barao, and he's sloppy. Aldo is not.

Aldo wins.

I think Mendes is going to surprise a lot of people.

And I don't want to sound like a Mendes nuthugger, but the first fight would have gone completely different had Aldo not grabbed the cage.

Aldo had trouble with hominick and.the Edgar fight was close

He had trouble in the very last round, yes, but that was one round and he was able to weather the storm. I consider the Edgar to be competitive, but not nearly as close as people on the forum make it out to be.

He had trouble in the very last round, yes, but that was one round and he was able to weather the storm. I consider the Edgar to be competitive, but not nearly as close as people on the forum make it out to be.
Edgar and Aldo was not close. Aldo clearly won that fight.

I meant within that quote of his. It was:

So it would have turned into:

I saw someone earlier this week post a comment that was almost ^ this quote word-for-word. I wish I could find it and bump it.

And I don't want to sound like a Mendes nuthugger, but the first fight would have gone completely different had Aldo not grabbed the cage.

Gotcha. Still picking Aldo to win that fight in a convincing fashion. If anything else, I expect him to perform better after Barao's loss.

As for your last point, it could have, but I've seen enough of Aldo in the guard, and Mendes on top to be convinced that Aldo would've been just fine. Prior to that cage grab, I didn't see anything from Mendes to suggest that he would've been able to stand there with Aldo as he was getting outstruck decisively. That said, I hope he did improve a lot as that would only make this fight even better.

Last edited:

Aldo did grab the cage, but was taken down soon after and jumped back up very quickly. Then Mendes tried to take him down again and took a knee.

Not saying this next fight will be different, but if Mendes decides to strike with Aldo he's going to get picked apart. Aldo has a great defensive game, timing, and speed; making him a terrifying counterpuncher.

As for your last point, it could have, but I've seen enough of Aldo in the guard, and Mendes on top to be convinced that Aldo would've been just fine.

The point is, the fight would have went to the 2nd round. That takedown was happening and I doubt Aldo would've gotten back up in the ~45 seconds that was left in the round.

The point is, the fight would have went to the 2nd round. That takedown was happening and I doubt Aldo would've gotten back up in the ~45 seconds that was left in the round.
..but.. he did get up when Mendes did take him down in the first. Then he kneed him in the face.

lol I wouldn't be surprised, with these UFC "P4P Kings" losing to guys with unimpressive records.

I think Aldo is legit though, he will lay him out again.

..but.. he did get up when Mendes did take him down in the first. Then he kneed him in the face.

The 2nd take down wasn't the same as the first.

Aldo would have been farther away from the cage...did you even see how far he had him in the air while he was grabbing the fence?

you can replace that with everytime a fighter is fighting another. This is literally every thread on sherdog ever.

The 2nd take down wasn't the same as the first.

Aldo would have been farther away from the cage...did you even see how far he had him in the air while he was grabbing the fence?
Aldo still stood up. What makes you think Aldo wouldn't have just wall walked up anyway?

Never seen anyone able to hold Aldo down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back