And another rapper shot dead

Haven't seen a young rapper trend on twitter for anything other than dying.

I dont really follow Twitter, so I'll concede j have no idea, but considering the phrase "get headlines" to mean "be famous" i think its pretty clear that lots of rappers are quite famous celebrities, with the likes of tmz and other low brow media outlets reporting on them, pretty regularly.

I'm trying to think of musicians from any other genre, of equal fame/commercial success that I've heard of and I can't. I think the whole concept of a rapper necessarily includes aspects of notoriety and murderousness in a way that other musical forms dont (you'll never hear a country singer crooning about how big his dick is, how he doesn't love hos and how he's capable and willing of murdering people - all in the same song)

Which leads me to my second point: how is this ironic? A person who become famous due to expressing themes of violence falling victim to violence is about as "ironic" as a fat guy dying of a heart attack. Am I missing something?

Everyone who knows anything about hip hop knows who King Von is. His crew O-Block are one of the most notorious Chicago gangs around. He was suspected in multiple homicides.

He's probably one of the most well known rappers to come out of the Chicago drill scene.

Honestly I was expecting him to get popped in Chicago, not down here in Atlanta. I'm actually friends with some of the security that was involved in the shooting. Pretty much stupid nonsense turned into a fight that turned into a shooting.
Sounds like typical of that lifestyle bullshit

This is what zoomers listen to nowadays huh? The next gen is fucked.

I'm trying to think of musicians from any other genre, of equal fame/commercial success that I've heard of and I can't. I think the whole concept of a rapper necessarily includes aspects of notoriety and murderousness in a way that other musical forms dont (you'll never hear a country singer crooning about how big his dick is, how he doesn't love hos and how he's capable and willing of murdering people - all in the same song)

In all fairness, there have been plenty of rappers who rhymed about all the things you stated and are still alive and well. Most are pretty much "studio gangsters" with the exception of a few. I think if you really are about that life, you usually end up in prison or young and dead like King Von or Duck another Chicago drill rapper shot and killed this year

I remember this rapper named Currensy who is from New Orleans said he used to rhyme about guns and violence when he first started out in the game. When he would do shows, there would always be fights or shootings because that is the type of crowd who really enjoyed those type of lyrics. He totally switched his style up and now he doesn't have that problem anymore. And he still makes a good living

You want to be about that life, you probably gonna be about that death too

In all fairness, there have been plenty of rappers who rhymed about all the things you stated and are still alive and well. Most are pretty much "studio gangsters" with the exception of a few. I think if you really are about that life, you usually end up in prison or young and dead like King Von or Duck another Chicago drill rapper shot and killed this year

I remember this rapper named Currensy who is from New Orleans said he used to rhyme about guns and violence when he first started out in the game. When he would do shows, there would always be fights or shootings because that is the type of crowd who really enjoyed those type of lyrics. He totally switched his style up and now he doesn't have that problem anymore. And he still makes a good living

You want to be about that life, you probably gonna be about that death too

Maybe this is hair splitting, or maybe I dont understand the terms , but I thought to be w rapper you had to be singing about those themes. If you don't, you're not a rapper, you're a "hip hop artist" - or, a "conscious hip hop artist"

Maybe this is hair splitting, or maybe I dont understand the terms , but I thought to be w rapper you had to be singing about those themes. If you don't, you're not a rapper, you're a "hip hop artist" - or, a "conscious hip hop artist"

Something like that. It's all just a matter of opinion

People see Drake as a "soft" rapper because he came from a privileged background but he has never rapped about being hard because that's not the culture he grew up in. Drake has never claimed to be anything other than himself for the most part. I doubt if he cares people thinks he soft with all those platinum albums and millions

Rapper Rick Ross is strange case though. This guy rapped about being a big time drug dealer in Miami when he has proven to be a former correctional officer. Basically making him a former cop and rap culture is not a fan of law enforcement. But yet, he was the hottest rapper in the game at one point and still reps that 'lifestyle.'

Most of the rappers who came up in the 80s came grew up in violent neighborhoods as well but seemed to denounce that lifestyle. That all started to change when groups like NWA and the Geto Boys began to gain popularity and go platinum. To me it was all just a reflection of a culture shift in hip hop. Rappers went from being pro black to 'gangsta' and glorifying the Italian mob and Scarface

Dime a Dozen

but...

R.I.P.

Nothing G about getting your brains blown in some goofy club beef shenanigans.

Why not just make your shitty rap music, remain on the downlow while bringing in the actual heavy weight...Not sticking around involving yourself in petty hood shit. You've got the money to do that instead, so do it if you must.

Ok back bored at work. Apparently Lil Reese is quite a dangerous individual as well.

Everyone who knows anything about hip hop knows who King Von is. His crew O-Block are one of the most notorious Chicago gangs around. He was suspected in multiple homicides.

He's probably one of the most well known rappers to come out of the Chicago drill scene.

Honestly I was expecting him to get popped in Chicago, not down here in Atlanta. I'm actually friends with some of the security that was involved in the shooting. Pretty much stupid nonsense turned into a fight that turned into a shooting.
Do you know who Kool Kieth, Aesop Rock, Tommy Wright III, or Gangsta Pat are? I've never heard of King Von, but I've listened to Ultra Magentic Mc's, Da Lench Mob, Deltron 3030, Brotha Lynch, Mac Mall, 8 Ball and Mjg , and I don't think this King Vom guy or anyone coming out in the last 5-10 years will be influential at all besides Hopsin and Token.

Do you know who Kool Kieth, Aesop Rock, Tommy Wright III, or Gangsta Pat are? I've never heard of King Von, but I've listened to Ultra Magentic Mc's, Da Lench Mob, Deltron 3030, Brotha Lynch, Mac Mall, 8 Ball and Mjg , and I don't think this King Vom guy or anyone coming out in the last 5-10 years will be influential at all besides Hopsin and Token.

I think he just meant drill artists. I mean Kanye is from Chicago, so I don't think he's suggesting he was the most famous Chicago rapper or anything.

So much trash ‘artists’ and ‘music’ in this thread. That drill shit these kids are listening to is fucking terrible. I remember dope artists and groups like Common, Twista, Crucial Conflict and Do or Die being from Chicago. Speaking of Do or Die think I’ll go listen to them to erase some of the drill trash ear cancer I got from accidentally clicking on in this thread.

Back