Analysis: Nick Diaz stand up deficiencies

Oh yea not worth commenting on? Please... , because you cant discredit it?
Just stop embarrassing yourself with your Diaz nut hugging.

If you wanna debate in this thread then lets do it, if not then please dont continue saying 1,2, 5, Diaz, bla bla bla Joe rogan said he won, bla bla bla. It is not related to the discussion of nick being one of the top strikers in MMA.

You are by far one of the biggest morons I have ever seen on Sherdog. Seriously, it's like you don't comprehend a) boxing, b) MMA boxing, and c) the English language. I bet your life is amazing. :icon_chee

damn seems this thread is getting trolled by diaz fanboys. Im a diaz fan to but seriously can we have a serious discussion?

haha True that, these Diaz fans are as mentally handicapped as the Diaz brothers themselves, particularly Mr. Alegacy. They're giving other Diaz fans a bad name. And I love the Diazs, they're exciting fighters and it's hilarious to listen to them try to talk. But to say that Nick is the Gods of Striking and can do no wrong is a laughable notion and should be dismissed as such.

Just stop please :rolleyes:

tumblr_m6426uEEFh1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

He's good at crowding guys and mixing in body shots. He also has great cardio and can take a punch so he can trade in the pocket. He doesn't punch particularly fast or hard and he definitely gets hit a lot. What he does is effective but I see GSP being able to land the jab effectively and mix in take downs to win.

Hmm, Kush KIlla has spoken. That appears to be that, no more needs to be said, the expert has shared his knowledge.

Wait...what's this?

"I really feel that Nick's the best boxer in mixed martial arts today and it shows in a bunch of his fights. I mean, he's got the highest punch volume. He's done all these great things standing up, he can stand up with anyone. A lot of people want to talk to me about my boxing and different things, but

haha True that, these Diaz fans are as mentally handicapped as the Diaz brothers themselves, particularly Mr. Alegacy. They're giving other Diaz fans a bad name. And I love the Diazs, they're exciting fighters and it's hilarious to listen to them try to talk. But to say that Nick is the Gods of Striking and can do no wrong is a laughable notion and should be dismissed as such.

I'll leave you alone for calling me "Mr. Alegacy." I like you.

You are by far one of the biggest morons I have ever seen on Sherdog. Seriously, it's like you don't comprehend a) boxing, b) MMA boxing, and c) the English language. I bet your life is amazing. :icon_chee

Lol all you do is talk shit and make personal insults.

How about you disprove the list if its so easy. Take off the fighters that you think nick is better than and we can compare their technique and stand up. How bout that.

oh wait wait, your a pos white belt troll...

Benson Henderson made Nate and me look like amateurs while grooming his hair and playing with a toothpick...... a F'ng toothpick FFS. Should have listened to Accolyte1022.QUOTE said:
Still haven't learned eh?

Any 209er should see that Nate over the last year proved he is every bit the striker Nick was....

Nate was neutralized on the feet completely by a Benson who had some really bad looking hands in his last Frankie fight.

Do you think Nick has improved his standup during his enforced year off/retirement?
Whatever Benson did to Nate... GSP will do more effectively against Nick... MMAth is usualy bullshit, but in the case of the 209er's it might be something to look at..

I know Cowboy is having second thoughts about fearing Nate on the ground...

Still haven't learned eh?

Any 209er should see that Nate over the last year proved he is every bit the striker Nick was....

Nate was neutralized on the feet completely by a Benson who had some really bad looking hands in his last Frankie fight.

Do you think Nick has improved his standup during his enforced year off/retirement?
Whatever Benson did to Nate... GSP will do more effectively against Nick... MMAth is usualy bullshit, but in the case of the 209er's it might be something to look at..

I know Cowboy is having second thoughts about fearing Nate on the ground...

I lost a sig bet.. is it bad that I'm always backing my favourite fighters no matter what?

And no, Nick is better than Nate on the feet. Nate uses the 1,2,3 most of the time, Nick utilizes more uppercuts and body shots and even more kicks. Nate is improving like crazy, but Nick is better than Nate at everything. Go look at their videos of them sparring together, Nick is better.

BJ Penn and Paul Daley were actually top 10 wins at the time, check the rankings. And no, Diaz outboxed Condit, but Condit outkicked him. Also, Nick outstruck Sherk and stuffed 17-19 TD's, stuffed 5-8 from Riggs and oustruck him too. Nick actually swept Sherk when he was taken down those 2 times and forced the fight back to the feet, Nick wasn't even a black belt yet and he had less muscle as well. Nick arguably beat Sherk, to make it more impressive, Sherk won the LW title in his next fight. Doesn't that say something?

Nick has given all the wrestlers he's faced some of their toughest fights, at the end of the fight with Sanchez, Nick wasn't gassed and Sanchez was. Nick also dropped Sanchez in that fight. When Nick fights GSP, even if he loses he'll probably get "he can't handle wrestlers!" but who the hell handles GSP when he's in top position? you're pretty much stapled to the mat when GSP gets on top of you, no matter who you are. Diaz has the tools to beat Georges, but will he win? probably not. The safe bet is to pick GSP to get a UD. But I'll still be cheering for Diaz even if I know he's going to lose. I have faith he will win, he's skilled enough to pull it off. Crazy things happen in this sport, so we'll see. Just want a good fight.

Hear, hear. Rational Diaz fans unite! :beer:

I lost a sig bet.[/B]. is it bad that I'm always backing my favourite fighters no matter what?

And no, Nick is better than Nate on the feet. Nate uses the 1,2,3 most of the time, Nick utilizes more uppercuts and body shots and even more kicks. Nate is improving like crazy, but Nick is better than Nate at everything. Go look at their videos of them sparring together, Nick is better.

Lol nice. But seriously i always back my fighters too even tho sometimes i know they going to lose. I still hope. I didint give up on shogun till round 3 against jones. Even after the first 2 round i was like he got this.

Then he got finish i was like nope he dont got this lol

Stop comparing Nicks boxing game to that of a boxer. He's in MMA not the WBC.

I agree with you on some points.

If Nick didn't have an amazing chin and an insane ability to recover, he likely wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as he has been. His reflexes are curiously slow for someone who likes to box. He has shown good head movement before, but he gets hit far more often than he should.

He can put some nice combos together though, and he mixes up his attacks to the body and head.

nicksmith_medium.gif

Here he is showing some nice movement:

eiuw3l.jpg

However, he gets hit far too often for me to say that he has overall good defense. It's always funny to me when people call Dos Santos a brawler and then say that Nick Diaz is one of the best boxers in mma.

Hmm, Kush KIlla has spoken. That appears to be that, no more needs to be said, the expert has shared his knowledge.

Wait...what's this?

"I really feel that Nick's the best boxer in mixed martial arts today and it shows in a bunch of his fights. I mean, he's got the highest punch volume. He's done all these great things standing up, he can stand up with anyone. A lot of people want to talk to me about my boxing and different things, but… I think Nick's the best boxer in MMA." - BJ Penn

Hmm.... who to believe? They're both such experts.

Well, that doesn't really settle the discussion either.

"People tell me he is a good boxer. I tell them no, he's not a good boxer, he's good with his hands though. Boxers use footwork and so forth. He has no footwork whatsoever. He just fights in straight lines. He's very accurate with his punches though, so we had a good game plan. We were working on it in the gym for about two weeks and then the fight got cancelled because Diaz didn't show up to the press conferences. Dana got mad and put somebody else in there so we went and shifted gears and went in a different direction."

-Freddie Roach

Personally, I agree with Freddie Roach. Nick Diaz has good hands but not much else, he keeps his chin stuck in the air, and has a habit of walking his opponents down instead of cutting them off.

Well, that doesn't really settle the discussion either.

"People tell me he is a good boxer. I tell them no, he's not a good boxer, he's good with his hands though. Boxers use footwork and so forth. He has no footwork whatsoever. He just fights in straight lines. He's very accurate with his punches though, so we had a good game plan. We were working on it in the gym for about two weeks and then the fight got cancelled because Diaz didn't show up to the press conferences. Dana got mad and put somebody else in there so we went and shifted gears and went in a different direction."

-Freddie Roach

Personally, I agree with Freddie Roach. Nick Diaz has good hands but not much else, he keeps his chin stuck in the air, and has a habit of walking his opponents down instead of cutting them off.

Freddie Roach has changed gears since that quote.

The following is Roach's top five list, in reverse order (with "1" being the best, in his opinion):

5) K.J. Noons -- "K.J. is always in my gym and he's very dedicated with his work ethic. I just love his tenacity in the ring. He comes to fight and he's all about action."

4) Nick Diaz -- "Nick Diaz is one of the most exciting fighters in the world, today. He's great with his hands. He gets sidetracked a little bit, like in his last fight, but I think he'll a great comeback. I'm looking forward to facing him with "GSP" someday, 'cause there's a lot of talk about that."

3) B.J. Penn -- "You know, B.J., he's one of the best strikers I've ever faced, and that I've ever been in the ring with. It's been quite a few years ago, and I think he's close to retiring right now, but I'd call him the "James Toney of MMA," because his weight would fluctuate quite a bit. He'll fight from low weights to heavyweights. He'll fight anyone in the world. He's a good guy to be around, and he's just a hard, hard worker and a great striker."

2) Georges St. Pierre -- "'GSP's' one of the greatest guys in the world. He's a real gentleman and one of the best students I've ever had. I asked him, 'How long did you go home and practice in front of the mirror last night?' Because if I show him a move, he comes back with it the next day, and you know he practiced all night in front of the mirror. So, I love the guy. He's a good guy and a hard worker, and that's what it's all about it hard work."

1) Anderson Silva -- "I had the honor of working with Anderson Silva, when he was in our gym for about five or six days in a row. He told me, 'I'm pretty good at MMA, but I'm not too good at boxing.' He's just a real humble guy and very talented. He is one of the best guys that really understands distance and timing. He fights off the ropes a little bit. I told him that can be a little bit dangerous sometimes and to be careful, but he'll suck you in, he'll set you up, he's one of the most intelligent fighters I've ever seen and have ever worked with."

Source: http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/26/2...-top-five-boxers-mma-anderson-silva-nick-diaz

Nick Diaz has probably the best MMA boxing in the WW division, and from a purely technical perspective, his footwork is pretty fucking flawless.

fail troll is fail.

good thing mma isn't boxing.He has good mma boxing and yes his footwork sucks but it's his style of not moving that baits guys into exchanges.Long story short he has very effective boxing for mma and that's all that matters.Who would stand and trade with him?

His style worked for sometime but people now are going to use Condits plan and take advantage of his horrible footwork. Gsp is going to destroy him anyways so it doesn't matter. :\

First of all, your original post is an illiterate rambling with barely any form of coherency, and, furthermore, you seem to be unaware of the difference between conventional boxing and MMA boxing. Now you're asking me what proof I offer? Are you fucking retarded? Watch a Nick Diaz fight. That's pretty much all you need.

Don't get mad over grammar over the internet. If you get on the internet expecting everything to make sense, I am sorry to disappoint you. :'(

Yeah, you're not comparing him to boxers; that's why you brought up the Marquez vs Pacquiao fight. :icon_neut

It's called using an example.

Nick Diaz has probably the best MMA boxing in the WW division, and from a purely technical perspective, his footwork is pretty fucking flawless.

......wut? Are you serious or trolling?

Back