Analysis: Nick Diaz stand up deficiencies

I like Nick, but he breaks mentally when his gradeschool taunting doesn't trick his opponents into a brawl. Any top tier striker who can stick and move and who isn't dumb enough to stand swinging with his back against the cage can beat Nick.

He could have adjusted his gameplan at any point during the Condit fight but he just kept doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Breaks mentally? No... just no. I don't consider that fight a loss for Nick first off, but I do blame Nate for being delusional as fuck and telling Nick stupid shit in his corner to the point that he was going against what Richard Perez was saying and talking over him. I mean Nate even was trying to say he won the 4th round and Nick was telling him, "don't lie to me" I think it was. He needs someone in his corner who can give him an objective analysis of what's going on, it's hard to adjust your gameplan when your brother's in your ear every 5 minutes telling you you're a god and dominating.

Not that you deserve a fucking answer or anything, bitch, but where I'm coming is that Diaz moves with his punches in a way no one else does; if you look at his striking style, and pay attention to his stance when he throws a punch, his footwork is fucking genius; it's not flashy, but it's fucking genius.

Nick-Diaz-8_zpsac8169b1.gif

nicksmith_zps1569b7b5.gif

diaz-cyborg_zpsdf09d4df.gif

diaz-lawler1_zps956feb0f.gif

2djqxyf_jpg.gif
OH look its a bunch of people who walk in a streight line against nick or let him back them up against the cage. Besides KJ who was just throwing bombs without looking.

OH look its a bunch of people who walk in a streight line against nick or let him back them up against the cage. Besides KJ who was just throwing bombs without looking.

You've obviously never trained boxing or MMA in any way, shape or form. Also, do you realize that those "people" are professional fighters with years of experience on their belts? Idiot.

I like Nick, but he breaks mentally when his gradeschool taunting doesn't trick his opponents into a brawl. Any top tier striker who can stick and move and who isn't dumb enough to stand swinging with his back against the cage can beat Nick.

He could have adjusted his gameplan at any point during the Condit fight but he just kept doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

how do you adjust a gameplan against someone not willing to engage? it's fucking hard.

I not going to sit here and say Condit ran (which at one point he did literally run away) but when you have someone who does not engage and is only interested in scoring points it is really fucking hard to beat that person. Whether standing up or on the ground.

Straight up Diaz won 1,2,5. If they fought again I think Condit would take his lack of engaging even further and win a legitimate decision.

That's why I wasn't even bummed with Henderson beat Nate. Henderson beat Nate while engaging and fighting him.

Breaks mentally? No... just no. I don't consider that fight a loss for Nick first off, but I do blame Nate for being delusional as fuck and telling Nick stupid shit in his corner to the point that he was going against what Richard Perez was saying and talking over him. I mean Nate even was trying to say he won the 4th round and Nick was telling him, "don't lie to me" I think it was. He needs someone in his corner who can give him an objective analysis of what's going on, it's hard to adjust your gameplan when your brother's in your ear every 5 minutes telling you you're a god and dominating.

Then what else is there to say?

Condit executed his gameplan perfectly. You're going to tell me Nick wasn't visibly frustrated when Condit had zero reaction to his taunting? c'mon now...

how do you adjust a gameplan against someone not willing to engage? it's fucking hard.

I not going to sit here and say Condit ran (which at one point he did literally run away) but when you have someone who does not engage and is only interested in scoring points it is really fucking hard to beat that person. Whether standing up or on the ground.

Straight up Diaz won 1,2,5. If they fought again I think Condit would take his lack of engaging even further and win a legitimate decision.

That's why I wasn't even bummed with Henderson beat Nate. Henderson beat Nate while engaging and fighting him.

He clearly got outstruck, and "Engaged" by condit who was landing combos all day. And kicked him in the facea couple times. Nicks face was fucked up after the fight. And hes standing there saying condit didnt do shit. Look at your face brah

Obviously Nick Diaz isn't a flawless boxer, but nobody in the UFC is, he's still has top five best boxing in MMA and imo the best at WW.

Nick wins wars of attrition when he can force or bait his opponent to stand right in front of him.

his movement is terrible and he gets dropped badly in way too many fights because of it. the counter is his chin and recovery time are awesome so he still wins.

So No Nick is not a great MMA boxer skill wise. He wins via wearing guys out in exchanges. If guys refuse to play his game or fall into his baiting trap he is completely lost and has no answer for them.

Nick is great but not a great boxer within MMA. More like a brawler who wins wars of attrition when he can get them.

He's not the best technical boxer, but he's one of the most effective. If you stand and bang with him you're going to have a bad night. I think his best assets are his cardio, timing and volume punching.

Diaz will maim a lot of really good strikers even though he may not be as technically good as they are. His strengths more than make up for his weaknesses.

You've obviously never trained boxing or MMA in any way, shape or form. Also, do you realize that those "people" are professional fighters with years of experience on their belts? Idiot.

Anyone can take a few frames of a fight and make any fighter seem like he has great standup. Thats besides the point. Cyborg gasses like crazy and was backing up against the cage in a straight line, scott smith walks in a straight line back to the cage with his back on it. Noons finished him once.

Anyway none of these guys are top fighters or strikers in the UFC. So what nick did to them is irrelevant.

He clearly got outstruck, and "Engaged" by condit who was landing combos all day. And kicked him in the facea couple times. Nicks face was fucked up after the fight. And hes standing there saying condit didnt do shit. Look at your face brah

Do you train or fight? I don't mean it as an insult; but the way you are responding to people makes me think that you have no idea what it's like fighting for sport.

Nick wins wars of attrition when he can force or bait his opponent to stand right in front of him.

his movement is terrible and he gets dropped badly in way too many fights because of it. the counter is his chin and recovery time are awesome so he still wins.

So No Nick is not a great MMA boxer skill wise. He wins via wearing guys out in exchanges. If guys refuse to play his game or fall into his baiting trap he is completely lost and has no answer for them.

Nick is great but not a great boxer within MMA. More like a brawler who wins wars of attrition when he can get them.

Freddie roach thinks he's right up there, and could be competitive in the lower end of the boxing world. One of Andre Ward's training partneres too.

Lol, Condit engaged him every time he got in and out of trouble. How are you going to compare Condit to a strong wrestler who's a significant takedown threat? They're completely different fighters with one thing in common, they both beat a Diaz brother.

Not brawling with Diaz like an idiot = not engaging

Anyone can take a few frames of a fight and make any fighter seem like he has great standup. Thats besides the point. Cyborg gasses like crazy and was backing up against the cage in a streight, scott smith walks in a straight line back to the cage with his back on it. Noons finished him once.

Anyway none of these guys are top fighters or strikers in the UFC. So what nick did to them is irrelevant.

What did I write in the post where I included those gifs? Look at the way he moves with his punches. That shit is fucking incredible. I don't care what anyone says.

Then what else is there to say?

Condit executed his gameplan perfectly. You're going to tell me Nick wasn't visibly frustrated when Condit had zero reaction to his taunting? c'mon now...

I almost didn't include that because I didn't want you to just read that and then dismiss everything that followed. I was trying to address your statement that Nick is unable to adjust his gameplan as fights progress, excluding the Condit fight that just isn't true and I think Nate's "cornering" played a large part in that. He obviously was frustrated but certainly not because Condit didn't react to his taunting.

Not trying to turn this thread into that but yeah... there's a reason aggression is supposed to be heavily factored into the scoring. People who haven't spent time training don't understand this, it's hard to land effectively on someone who's constantly backpedaling and content to land light shots without planting his feet to put any power into them. That's not footwork or a stick and move strategy and it's not supposed to be scored as such.

Oh so you disagree with only 1 of the 30 people i mentioned?

Also he would woop nick just like he did nate

Edit: Also OUTSTRUCK BJ PENN, but not by going punch for punch till BJ gasses, but by out striking him from the begining
I agree with much of your list but some of your list was just so goddamn funny, dude.

It made coffee shoot out of my nose.

Thanks!

No STRIKING GUY, no care.

His analyses are overrated as fuck and mostly consist of pointing out obvious flaws, it's bizarre how Sherdog seems to have unanimously declared him the ultimate authority on all things striking simply because he talks like he is and makes a lot of threads.

Back