An unforgivable misstep by the UFC making Holm/Pennington the Co-Main for this card

When Conor is headlining a card, it represents a massive opportunity for the UFC. Rarely do they ever get as many casual eyes tuning in as they do when McGregor is on the marquee- Every single one of these casuals deciding to check out the fights represents an opportunity to create a new fan of the UFC.

You would think the UFC would use this extraordinary opportunity to showcase two of the promotion's extremely talented and entertaining fighters (of which there are no shortage) in the co-main event spot. Sure, I understand not wanting to make a title fight as the co-main- It's disrespectful to the champ to be second billing to a non-title Conor fight. But there is still an extensive list of phenomenal fighters that the UFC could have put in that spot to showcase the beauty of this sport- Ngannou? Jairzinho? Gaethje? Poirier? Felder? Hooker? Gastelum? Yair? Korean Zombie? Aldo? Cody? JDS? Cannonier? Shabahzyan? Geoff Neal? Fighter Kevin Lee? Derrick fucking Lewis?

How on god's green dick did they settle on Holly Holm and Raquel Pennington? You could literally throw a dart at the UFC rankings board and come up with a more compelling matchup than that. The fact that it was (predictably) a complete snoozefest only accentuates the complete and utter failure by the UFC. It is genuinely hard to fathom the level of incompetence required to botch an opportunity of this magnitude.

Uh.... Maybe Connor isn't as big as everyone think he is?

I'm sure the UFC has professional's orchestrating all of these things, they would be expert, so if they are not doing this than obviously it's something else. I think it's because Connor isn't that big of deal... Actually I know he's not.

Obviously men do have boring fights as well. But the point is that both Holly and Pennington regularly deliver snoozefests, and it was hard to imagine this fight going any differently. The co-main spot was the perfect opportunity to introduce one or two high level fighters with championship potential to the casual fan base, there are so many fighters that fit that bill that could have been fighting in that spot. In the past the UFC has typically done a good job with the co-main events of the Conor cards, so this was just weird to see.

It's not weird to see if you could just stop thinking about Connor McGregor's nutz for 10 minutes, you will be able to think clearly. You will understand the truth and why the UFC didn't take up on such good oppurtunity.

You will see that Connor McGregor nutz isn't is as big as you thought he was. This make sense or else they would have done it already they have professionals orchestrating all of this so why aren't they? ;) it's because Connor is small potatoe...

No doubt about it. My Dad even watched the show and he hasnt watched a UFC show since the mid 90s.

He was not impressed and most likely will not be watching again

Massive opportunity down the toilet by the UFC having such a shit card overall with so many eyes on the product.

Definitely agree having that fight as co-main was ridiculous. Pettis/Ferreira would have been better, or hell throw Blaydes / JDS or JDS/Chiesa in a week earlier...

No doubt they should have combined the best fights from both cards and made it 1 good card

Holly Holm in short shorts..that the only reason I can see making it the Co-main...HISH, HISH..

Think the card had more to do with financial reasoning. The event is only going to make x amount & if 95% of the portion of x that goes towards fighter pay goes to the main. Doesn't leave much for the rest of the card.

Agreed, I have no fucking clue what they were thinking.

Nobody cares about Pennington and Holm is the most tentative fighter for their skill set as I’ve ever seen. She should be easily outstriking all her opponents.

Your not wrong.. but this card likely sold more than any other since Conors last fight. Mma fans love to shit on boxing, but why waste good fights on a card that's going to do well no matter what?
Jokes on you bud. You KNEW this card would suck and you still watched every fight and wasted your Saturday evening.

Dont watch shit cards, it's that easy

Why spend your big fights on a card that sold already cause Conors on it, the year is long

This.

They're selling PPVs out the ass bc of McGregor. Might as well save the big fights for another time and make more money.

<seedat>

UFC should use Conor cards that will sell without any notable undercard as an opportunity to promote promising prospects. The closest they came to that on this card was with Carlos Diego Ferreira.

That’s exactly what the UFC should do..

I watched 246 with a casual friend of mine. We were reminiscing about 205: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_205

My casual friend literally found out who Khabib & Romero were because of that card. It seems like thats exactly what the UFC would want.. casual fans seeing great fighters that weren’t really marketable on their own up until that point. Also other great names & fights on that card.

It feels like Dana is trying to follow the boxing model.. I don’t see it working out well though. You can debate the popularity between the two sports all day but when it comes to individuals no one outside of Conor has the name alone to carry a card like Floyd, Canelo, Manny, Joshua, Wilder, Fury. UFC 247 looks like trash, no casual fan is going to give a fuck about that card.. and that’s with one of the GOATs headlining it too

Your not wrong.. but this card likely sold more than any other since Conors last fight. Mma fans love to shit on boxing, but why waste good fights on a card that's going to do well no matter what?
Jokes on you bud. You KNEW this card would suck and you still watched every fight and wasted your Saturday evening.

Dont watch shit cards, it's that easy
No no no. I'm not talking about me, or any other hardcore fans. I watched the card and enjoyed it, no regrets at all.

I'm referring to the casual eyes who wouldn't normally be watching . There was an opportunity to promote high level lesser known fighters, and they failed. Saying "why waste good fights on a card that's going to do well no matter what" is incredibly short sighted, when the goal is to grow the sport to increase longterm revenue.

No no no. I'm not talking about me, or any other hardcore fans. I watched the card and enjoyed it, no regrets at all.

I'm referring to the casual eyes who wouldn't normally be watching . There was an opportunity to promote high level lesser known fighters, and they failed. Saying "why waste good fights on a card that's going to do well no matter what" is incredibly short sighted, when the goal is to grow the sport to increase longterm revenue.
The last Conor card was incredible stacked with big fights. I think sometimes everything doesn't just work out. I also think in the ufc's mind Holly Holm attracts casuals because of her Ronda win.

The biggest mistake of this card was putting Cerrone in there. Hes just not that interesting anymore and he didnt show up to fight. He turtles up and quit. But was it really a mistake? The cash cow now has a win and it was important to get that for him to sell the next fight. The next card with a main event that doesnt get the casuals excited will have much bigger names underneath it. They know what they're doing. I fucking hate the ufc and the Ppv model but they are not stupid

Pettis should had been the co-main event, they made it part of the Countdown for a reason, WMMA not always sucks but this one was pretty bad.

They both need cutting after that disaster

Back