An Illegal Knee to the Head should be an auto DQ/NC

Apollo33

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I don't think a fighter should ever be pressured to have a say in whether or not they are fit to continue.

I believe once an Illegal strike to the head happens, the match is compromised. Theres no outcome that's fair because it's impossible to know if the fighter is concussed or not.

With this rule in place, fighters don't need to put an oscar to try to get a DQ. There won't be controversy if you schedule an immediate rematch.

Has a fighter ever won after being illegally kneed in the head?

Bisping kneed Jorge Rivera and Jorge chose time continue and lost.

Jones kneed Lionheart, Smith chose to continue and lost.

Eddie kneed Dustin in the head, fight was NC, right? (The only case I can think of where the guy who threw the knee wasn’t on the way to winning already at the time of the foul)

Nate Marquardt kneed (Thiago?) what’s his name, and did a pile driver, and would have gone on to win but the multiple fouls flipped the results and Nate lost on points

Last edited:
Agreed, that was easily the hardest shot Aljo took all night and that damage doesn't just go away in the fight simply b/c a fighter says he can continue. There were two people that fucked up in this situation, and Aljo wasn't one of them, just Yan and the ref. 135-155 are the toughest divisions right now and opportunities to be at the top are rare, and easily lost only to never return

. Did he lose an opportunity to have a moment where people could look back and say "man, that guy was tough for continuing?". Sure he did, but 1) people would probably forget in time anyways, the controversy is what made it memorable and 2) people's admiration doesn't pay the bills. The dude fights absolute killers, he's tough, let's not kid ourselves.

I don't think a fighter should ever be pressured to have a say in whether or not they are fit to continue.

I believe once an Illegal strike to the head happens, the match is compromised. Theres no outcome that's fair because it's impossible to know if the fighter is concussed or not.

With this rule in place, fighters don't need to put an oscar to try to get a DQ. There won't be controversy if you schedule an immediate rematch.
I completely agree.

Depends on the circumstance, otherwise if a losing fighter wants out of a fight he potentially gets a pass.

Right but wouldn't the losing fighter just get DQ'd and get the L.

Maybe in certain circumstances you would just deny the rematch if the knee was blatant to get out of a situation

If a guy is stalling, taking advantage of the rules then he should be fair game and knees should be legal (ref's discretion). Aljo deserves an Acacemy Award. He made Laurence Olivier proud.
overview-of-the-oscar-statue-at-meet-the-oscars-at-the-time-news-photo-1588178852.jpg

Or take Andrew Cuomo's emmy and give it to Aljo.....
emmy-awards.jpg

They need to change the rules. The 3 points stance is stupid. You have to watch the hands and body

Not sure the OP really thought that idea through. If that ridiculous idea was actually a rule. Champions who were in close fights/losing would just deliberately knee their opponent in the head and retain the belt. For once, we can learn something from pro-rasslin' on this one. Dumb idea. Move along. Learn from your mistakes. Look forward to the rematch.

Jarl

I think if the fight is within 3 rounds it should be a NC

I think over 3 rounds it should be 2 pts deduction and go to decision

UNLESS: a DQ if flagrant//repeated/ or if it appears to be a deliberate foul with the goal of prematurely stopping the fight on a foul.

Which, interestingly, would mean Aljo would win this fight via technical decision BTW

Eye poke should be automatic DQ.
Strike to the groin should result in a win being taken off the fighter’s record.

Not sure the OP really thought that idea through. If that ridiculous idea was actually a rule. Champions who were in close fights/losing would just deliberately knee their opponent in the head and retain the belt. For once, we can learn something from pro-rasslin' on this one. Dumb idea. Move along. Learn from your mistakes. Look forward to the rematch.

Jarl

Not if they're DQed.

Jarl

I don't think what you said makes any sense. Why would champions who are losing deliberately knee their opponent and retain the belt. They would get DQ'd and lose the belt like Yan did.

Back