An Idiot Abroad...

I love the show and Karl. The dude is just such a downer about everything, but still does it all. Best travel show I have ever seen.

I didn't enjoy An Idiot Abroad, but the best way to look at it is that it's a travel show. And it is probably the best travel show out there.

I enjoyed the Ricky Gervais Show on HBO.

[YT]M9G_16HSOWI[/YT]

[YT]y3RXxpdujJs[/YT]

My favourite parts were:

- He's near the Pyramids, its windy & there's all manner of trash flying in the air & all around his head, "They don't put this in the holiday brochure do they"

- Easter parade in Mexico & he's cowering in doorways as folk walking in the parade are wearing wooden corsets with exploding fireworks attached to the wooden framework, "Where's the health & safety guy ?" Cameraman points an old bloke waving at him with only two fingers & half a thumb on his hand. Karl legs it.

- At the Great Wall of China, "If I built that wall for my local council I'd get the sack. Dodgy grouting that!"

- At a public toilet in China, "There's not even a door in there. They built the Ipod FFS & they cant figure out how to install a bit of wood in a hole to give a little privacy whilst you're pinching one off"

It's only funny if you are gullible enough to think that Pilkington is not a character.

I looked the guy up. His birthday is 9/23.

Illuminati confirmed.

Idiot Abroad was great.

very amusing dude lol

also...that scene where he was in japan with that fermented fish was pretty damn funny

He is the funniest guy on telly. I've watched both series about 5 times, as its repeated a lot on satellite tv. I didn't enjoy those few shows when the dwarf actor[can't recall his name?] and karl went abroad.

There are two really funny bits that always crack me up to the point of crying. When he does that 'native bungee jump' in front of the tribe.
When he is on a bi-plane's wing. God he is swearing his head off in that one. I'm surprised he did that stunt.

Karl sometimes sounds just like a spoilt child at times, really funny. There seems to of been a lack of Karl on the tv since then. Actually he did star in Derek for a few episodes didn't he?
I believe Ricky should explore Karl's idea of 'Bullshit Man!' Animated.

It's only funny if you are gullible enough to think that Pilkington is not a character.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was, but he is completely plausible to me because I know people like him in person. I know a guy who spouts off absolutely ridiculous stuff and it is funny because how utterly lacking in self-awareness he is. Just like Pilkington when Gervais and Merchant make fun of him, he is hilariously oblivious when people are making fun of him or trolling him. A friend and I sometimes joke that he should have his own show.

You could go to the extreme and get the cm radio show where he was discovered. So much good material, it's what the cartoons are made from.

Karl Pilkington wasn't created as a character.
It's beyond ridiculous to think they scripted the XFM shows each week.
Although he does play to it a bit and over-do it a bit now he's found huge fame, he's still essentially the same person.

Karl Pilkington wasn't created as a character.
It's beyond ridiculous to think they scripted the XFM shows each week.
Although he does play to it a bit and over-do it a bit now he's found huge fame, he's still essentially the same person.

He wasn't created on paper perhaps, but he is a character. You don't have to script all characters. Ever heard of improv? As you even say, he over does it and plays up *ding ding* his character. The entire success of An Idiot Abroad and the radio shows is based on people believing he's really that much of a buffoon, so of course Gervais and his people won't admit it. If you think Pilkington is a 100% genuine person you're one of many who've been tricked. He's playing a character.

He wasn't created on paper perhaps, but he is a character. You don't have to script all characters. Ever heard of improv? As you even say, he over does it and plays up *ding ding* his character. The entire success of An Idiot Abroad and the radio shows is based on people believing he's really that much of a buffoon, so of course Gervais and his people won't admit it. If you think Pilkington is a 100% genuine person you're one of many who've been tricked. He's playing a character.

This.

It shouldn't be an issue. David Brent was a character, everybody still loves him despite knowing he's not a real person.

KP is his character, they're one and the same, but on camera/radio he simply ramps up the funnier aspects of his personality.

I'm not saying he doesn't play up to the buffoon side of things, but if you heard the XFM shows going back many years when he was simply a producer who said hardly anything for the first ten episodes, you'll see that they found him unintentionally and there wasn't any element of improv about it.
They realized what they could do with him and eventually thought it through a bit more.
I'm sure he has a lighter side where he laughs a lot etc, but nobody wants to see that so in that respect he certainly does play to a character even tho the character is essentially him anyway.

I've heard him repeat the same story to Gervais and Gervais acted like it was the first time he'd heard it, so I that way he is like a comedian re-doing stuff.

Back