An end to the "Ronda fought cans" argument

No, Bethe was a grudge match that was built up for over a year and it was hella entertaining from start to finish.

Bethe, in Brazilian, telling Ronda she's going to make her cry after she knocks her out.

ronda-rousey-bethe-carreia-weigh-in.gif

Bethe getting face planted

rousey%20bethe%20ko.gif

Don't cry Bethe

dont%20cry%20bethe.gif

Legendary.

Zingano voluntarily made it easy for Ronda. She gave her a gift and Ronda took it.

Like when Overeem volunteered his chin to Big Foot and Big Foot happily obliged by KHTFO.
Opening the fight with a flying knee is typical Zingano.
It wasn't anything special.
Ronda is the only one who could capitalize on that because she is that special.
But that's not what haters want to hear.

Ronda = Royce Gracie, Mark Coleman, or Chuck Liddell

Got really dominant at one aspect of mma and road it to the top. The worst thing to happen to Ronda was knocking Bethe clean out. She thought she was a world class striker as well as a world class grappler.

Opening the fight with a flying knee is typical Zingano.
It wasn't anything special.
Ronda is the only one who could capitalize on that because she is that special.
But that's not what haters want to hear.

You don't open with a running knee against a ground savage like Ronda.

And I'm far from a Ronda hater, on the ground she still smokes the entire division.

No, Bethe was a grudge match that was built up for over a year and it was hella entertaining from start to finish.

Bethe, in Brazilian, telling Ronda she's going to make her cry after she knocks her out.

ronda-rousey-bethe-carreia-weigh-in.gif

Bethe getting face planted

rousey%20bethe%20ko.gif

Don't cry Bethe

dont%20cry%20bethe.gif
That's some great drama, but you kinda proved that Bethe is just a can who got crushed.

Dont see why this thread is needed.

Rousey beat Tate and Zingano.

Therefore, she obviously didnt only beat cans.

There isnt an argument to be had here.

I would argue that the division never was that good and still isn't. The division is still new and the girls haven't evolved to be well rounded similar to the mid 90s of mma.

I will give Ronda credit she is leaps and bounds ahead of her time and her judo, and transitions are phenomenal, with great jitz. The only thing she's not great at is her striking/footwork...She was a dominant champion and could very possibly come back and win the title
Can't stand this mid-90s idiocy any more.
WMMA has been around at least since 1995.
The current roster has been around for more than a decade (e.g. Shevchenko debuted in 2003), the girls train at the same gyms as the men and they train the same stuff.
Sure, the talent pool isn't as deep as most men's division except HW but that doesn't mean they aren't as 'evolved' (whatever that's supposed to mean anyways, sounds like they are some kind of prehistoric walking fish or something)

That's some great drama, but you kinda proved that Bethe is just a can who got crushed.

Ronda earned the opportunity to have that fight. I don't think anyone cares if Bethe was a can or not. The entertainment value made it more than worth it. Ronda still beat 7 of the top 10 ranked before she lost the title in 1 round and some within 1 minute.

The use of the term "can crusher" doesn't apply to Ronda when you factor in who she beat in the division and how easily she did it.

My thoughts on improvement are now we have multiple great strikers in the division. Also, BW was under a cloud of 1st round armbar loss to Ronda no matter who she fought. Now there is a much greater parity and I feel top 5 are all capable of beating each other.

That doesnt mean all of them are now good, but the other way around..... There isnt a dominant champion anymore and the belt will be switching hands at probably every title fight for some time, Holly just lost twice in a row, Tate lost to Nunes, who has a lost less than 2 years ago to Cat, who already beat Tate before, one possible next title challenger Valentina just lost to Nunes only a few months back, the other is Pena.....who is on a 4 fight winning streak yes, but 2 of those i think are not even in the UFC anymore, her most recent win is Cat....who Ronda beat in 16 seconds.

No, those women were never cans Honda beat. Just did not have the fight IQ to expose her sorry striking until Holm came along.

Not sure of the purpose of the thread.

She only fought two of the women ahead of her in the rankings. Beat Miesha twice. Was retired by Holly. Could very well lose to the other two ladies.

It's still a bit of a thin division. Considering there are 3 women higher in the rankings than everybody she beat not including Miesha. I'm just not sure of the point of the thread.

I'm not even sure if any of the first 4 women she beat even fight anymore. So there are cans there for sure... relatively speaking.
There may be three women higher in the ranking but these three women all struggled with or where beaten by girls who Ronda smashed easily.

I don't think she fought cans. I just think she's been slightly ahead of everyone she's fought. Her judo and grappling background gave her a huge edge on everyone. Of course until she met someone who would not player her grappling/clinch game (Holm). I still think she's running from Cyborg though.

Can't stand this mid-90s idiocy any more.
WMMA has been around at least since 1995.
The current roster has been around for more than a decade (e.g. Shevchenko debuted in 2003), the girls train at the same gyms as the men and they train the same stuff.
Sure, the talent pool isn't as deep as most men's division except HW but that doesn't mean they aren't as 'evolved' (whatever that's supposed to mean anyways, sounds like they are some kind of prehistoric walking fish or something)

That's a fair point. I really cracked up at the last sentence!

I guess a better way to say it is they're not as well rounded yet. The most well rounded fighter I would have to say is Pena. Ronda and meisha both lack striking. Holly lacks the ground game. More than half of the top ten lack wrestling. There isn't really a truly elite well rounded fighter at 135 yet

That's a fair point. I really cracked up at the last sentence!

I guess a better way to say it is they're not as well rounded yet. The most well rounded fighter I would have to say is Pena. Ronda and meisha both lack striking. Holly lacks the ground game. More than half of the top ten lack wrestling. There isn't really a truly elite well rounded fighter at 135 yet
They are lacking this huge pool of ex collegiate wrestlers that has made men's mma mostly an American affair and gave men's MMA a certain wrestling flavor.

Also, what about Nunes? She's pretty well rounded.
I mean her stand up grappling is Judo not wrestling but that's true of most Brazilians.

Back