An attempt to establish an objective criteria for determining GOAT

Id say finishing ability is better than 5 round domination.
If we're ranking only ability, Id' say 5 round domination is best. A finish means you won one moment of a fight. The latter means you won almost every moment and eliminates the fluke or luck argument.
I think a finish should always be the goal so I value it more, lucky finishes shouldn’t matter over the course of a career if the person isn’t a good finisher.
I love a finish as much as the next guy but a win is a win at a certain point. I would really only start splitting hairs in a tie during GOAT arguments. For example, I think Aldo's decision wins are way more impressive than Silva matrixing Griffin.

+1 point for a win (+0.5 if split decision)
+1 point for a win over a top 15
+0.5 point for a win over a top 10
+0.5 point for a win over a top 5

This part makes your post invalid. Not all wins are equal, and you see that too by giving some extra point. But Horcher and Gaetjhe should not just be 2 point apart, thats ridiculous.

And not all weightclasses are equal as well. Top 10 LW is much superior than top 10 LHW.

You should rather look at individual opponents and see how good they really were at the time and if they were in their prime.

Also the way of winning is flawed. Just 1 point difference between a close decision and a finish is not just.

First thing, I'm going to exclude Pride fighters from this (Fedor) not because I don't think they are deserving of GOAT discussion, but the inclusion of multiple organizations would make this even harder to develop a set criteria.

I think if we wanted to have an objective way of determining GOAT, we'd need a point system in place for things done (of course I understand the assigning of the points is subjective).

So for example;

+1 point for a win (+0.5 if split decision)
+1 point for a win over a top 15
+0.5 point for a win over a top 10
+0.5 point for a win over a top 5
+2 point for a finish
+1 point for a decision win where the fighter wins 3 rounds in a 3 round fight (must be unanimous)
+1 point for a decision win where the fighter wins at least 4 rounds in a 5 round fight (must be unanimous)
+3 point for a win in a title match

So for example; Khabib's win over Gaethje would net him:

+1 for win
+1 for top 15
+1 for top 10+ top 5
+2 for a finish
+3 for a title match

Total +8 points towards GOAT

Jones win over Reyes

+0.5 for split win
+2 top 15, 10, 5
+3 for a title

Total +5.5 points towards GOAT

I also think losses should hurt you on the claim towards GOAT; I'd say minus 2 points for any losses.
Minus 20 points for cheating with peds. Disqualification for cheating your whole career. In every other sport except mma cheating gets you removed from the discussion

+2 winning against a high quality guy in their prime by 10-8 or finish

-6 losing in your prime

-0.5 losing outside your prime

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY! So who's GOAT?

Last edited:
Pride fighters can’t be goat? Sounds like a great way to figure out second place…..

Agreement on criteria for GoaT will be just as elusive as agreement on GoaT. Different people value different things. Personally, I view title defenses as the first criteria. As champion, every contender in your division is game planning for you long before they face you, studying everything you do. By definition, everyone you fight is among the best in the division (there are occasional exceptions). Racking up defenses, in my opinion, is the hardest thing in MMA, and thus should be weighted accordingly. Winning a championship in two weight classes, while impressive, isn't the same. For one thing, most two-division champions did not have to beat any, much less multiple contenders in the second division to get their title shots. Second, some were simply not afforded the opportunity. Aldo, for instance, was told he would have to vacate his featherweight championship before he could challenge for the lightweight title. Now, it sometimes seems like nearly every champion gets the chance to try for a second belt.

Back