An Article I Think Many Of Us Can Learn From

How do you find that? It said to provide what people want, it never said what that may be.

Tell you the honest truth, I only read like 3 sentences.......But that sounds alright then.

Even if you already know all this stuff, cause you're a super experienced, streetwise badass, it hardly hurts to reiterate it all or take in a fresh perspective. I enjoyed the piece, it hasn't changed me as a person, I'm not gonna run out the door tomorrow morning and start my own business, but it may encourage me to take the initiative more in some situations. If not, well at least it was mildly entertaining.

Alright, I see you're point. Like I said in my response to the TS, I realize I came off as a dick in my first post. Didn't mean to offend everybody.

Are you sure it's the same guy? I googled his name and their are a ton of different people with that name.
Yes it's him. His sig says that he's the Editor of Cracked.

There's a sort-of first level thinking that we have as toddlers, where the world is perfect and everyone loves everyone, then when a lot of us become adolescents or teenagers, we realize that bad things happen in the world too, and often become nihilistic or negative. Most people move past this by the time they are adults and realize that life is a mix of good and bad, but some people seem stuck in that adolescent "stage 2" level, and even worse, seem self-impressed by it and believe that everyone else is still at the toddler level, which often leads to proclamations like in this article. (the world doesn't really care about you! Dummies!) "Wong" is stuck at that adolescent level of thought and thinks everyone else is even dummer.

This becomes more clear when you see how adolescent and naive his thought processes are on other topics too.

Cracked tends to go way down in quality when it becomes comedy writers trying to tell you how the world works. .

This. I still find many cracked articles to be great but any time they delve into philosophical matters it is complete ass. I didnt even find the speech video in the article to be particularly interesting and clicked off rather quickly.

Kinda sounds like a bitter drone, angrily trying to project his bitter droneyness onto other people, under the guise of it being some kind of unquestionable truth. You know you're in for some bullshit when someone keeps referring to what "the world" is, with some pretended authority.

You know what... It's time for me to fucking learn something.

Good fucking article.

While I think the article has a lot of truth to it, I hardly think this is the way things should be. I try to live my life according to my morals and aspirations regardless if they fit into current society or not. Developing relationships with people based on wants and needs, in my experience, leads to empty relationships, devoid of substance and love.

Developing relationships with people based on wants and needs, in my experience, leads to empty relationships, devoid of substance and love.

Can you expand on this? I agree but a part of me wants to criticize the statement. I put aside my wants and needs for my partner some times and it satisfies me but also causes resentment.

Every fresh college grad should have to read this before they come into work.

22 year old Dza76Wutang needed that advice, but he probably would have ignored it lol.

Can you expand on this? I agree but a part of me wants to criticize the statement. I put aside my wants and needs for my partner some times and it satisfies me but also causes resentment.

I've had professional relationships with people that hardly have any substance outside of a mutually beneficial one. When we're working on projects together, the relationship is strong but naturally when there is no work, there is no relationship. My argument is that if you spend a lifetime developing these kinds of relationships, what happens when your professional days are over?

While I think the article has a lot of truth to it, I hardly think this is the way things should be. I try to live my life according to my morals and aspirations regardless if they fit into current society or not. Developing relationships with people based on wants and needs, in my experience, leads to empty relationships, devoid of substance and love.

Pretty much my reaction. I get the whole "you need to quit being a pussy and change' thing but I hate the fact that the author and alec baldwin in that video act like total fucking assholes and then say "you're the one with the problem. don't shoot the messenger". You can make people change without being a self-indulged asshat

I've had professional relationships with people that hardly have any substance outside of a mutually beneficial one. When we're working on projects together, the relationship is strong but naturally when there is no work, there is no relationship. My argument is that if you spend a lifetime developing these kinds of relationships, what happens when your professional days are over?

Conversely how many do you care about the second they are no longer of use to you?

It's a blend.

So you don't feel like you wasted your click, here's a picture of Lenny Kravitz wearing a gigantic scarf.

157687_v1.jpg

lol this ^ alone made the article worth it

Yeah there's some truth to it, but honestly it sounds like a manifesto for people who want to be miserable and die of ball cancer.

Ok, just finished reading the article. Gotta say I agree with a lot of what he said. I actually bookmarked the page. Pretty movitating stuff.

I’ll do the same.
Man, I didn't even think we had threads that went this far back that weren't archived. Kind of interesting though to look back and see it. I'm not sure if I really had learned those lessons already or if I was in the process of learning them, either way they were things I struggled with heavily at the time.

This thread was at the tail end of years of frustration and isolation. My life drastically changed a year later. I don't know if I can say I followed the words of the article, but I certainly have kept them in my mind.

I couldn't have been more alone in that time, for years, then I found love more than once. I was afraid to be stuck in my tiny home town, then I travelled the country and lived on both coasts. I was afraid to have meant nothing to the world, and that may still be true but I saved a life since then and it meant something to him and his family.

There were a few posters who helped me with these lessons at the time and supported me. A few have moved on from Sherdog, some stuck around, and a couple are no longer with us. But I can't describe the love I have for them and the appreciation I will always have.

Back