Amusing difference in opinion from last night

Glen S

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I for one am a fan of Cain and JDS and thought it was a great fight. Cain showed a superior attack plan and great cardiovascular and set a pace that JDS could deal with. Despite showing great heart, he was out worked and overmatched....last night. Sherdoggers are lauding Cain and his dominance which is well deserved....my thought that perplexed me is this....this is a carbon copy of a GSP dominant fight...yet he gets hate....and Cain gets love....is this due to longevity of these types of performances from GSP or simply a popularity issue here on Sherdog?

I too am a fan of both fighters, but I'm not impressed with either fighter's performance. Cain obviously had the better night, but neither guy looked as they normally do, and I don't think this fight was a proper indication of each guys' talents.

A third fight will likely be best and most defining of the trilogy.

I really don't like watching two tired guys fight...

Cain was trying to finish him, so there's one difference between him and any GSP fight in the last 4 years. Also, I think a few of those right hands Cain landed would have finished many fighters. This is why people are also praising JDS' heart.

GSP is the all-time leader in 5 round domination fights. If he mixed in a finish or two every year, his stock would go through the roof.

I really don't like watching two tired guys fight...

What's with all the tired posts? JDS was getting hit so much, he was rocked and having an adrenalin dump.

Cain was active throughout the fight pushing an unreal for the HW division pace.

What's with all the tired posts? JDS was getting hit so much, he was rocked and having an adrenalin dump.

Cain was active throughout the fight pushing an unreal for the HW division pace.

It's always the stupid whitEbelts who have never trained a day in their lives who make these posts.

Maybe some of it may be that GSP's opponents rarely can get up as much as JDS did with Cain last night. Even though Cain dominated, the fact JDS could get back up as much as he did made the fight seem more competitive and the "back-and-forth" scrambles make it more interesting of a fight since the outcome does not seem set in stone. I always had a glimmer of hope that whenever JDS would get back up, he might be able to comeback and land a KO shot putting Cain out.

Do you really think GSP vs Condit would be regarded as one of the best fights of 2012 if Condit had not landed that surprise headkick to GSP in round 3 turning the tides and making GSP have to work his way back from such a devastating strike?

Getting hit is part of being a fighter.
LOL Cain couldn't finish JDS because he got tired by the 2nd round.

Good observation TS. Well thought out point. I dislike Cain a ton but thought he looked impressive last night. Not nearly as impressive as GSP, but still a good fight for him.

JDS's counter-attack strategy was stupid.
Cain's telegraphed takedown attempts in r1 were pathetic.
JDS's bjj is nonexistent.
Cain's inability to finish a wobbly and confused JDS was disappointing.

Overall I didn't enjoy the fight. I didn't enjoy the first fight either. No rematch for a long time imo

Cain's finished all but 2 of his UFC fights.

This, for me, plus Cain took bold risks to finish the fight. A GSP UD doesn't bother me. It's that he's strung so many together by deliberately following Greg Jackson's strategy to do so. It's effective as hell, I'll give him that.

I suppose I still see it as a fight rather than a sporting event and thus place more emphasis on finishes. He's rich and I'm not so what the hell do I know? That's JMO.

I do not see anything wrong with not finishing but absolutely controlling the fight...Yea, not finishing is boring for the fans, but a win is a win...

This, for me, plus Cain took bold risks to finish the fight. A GSP UD doesn't bother me. It's that he's strung so many together by deliberately following Greg Jackson's strategy to do so. It's effective as hell, I'll give him that.

I suppose I still see it as a fight rather than a sporting event and thus place more emphasis on finishes. He's rich and I'm not so what the hell do I know? That's JMO.

Good point....I appreciate the fact that we have differing views, not laced with personal emotion

I don't know I think people in the know respect the crap out of both of these fighters, I think the casual fan who does not really know MMA is the one that does not respect GSP.

Good point....I appreciate the fact that we have differing views, not laced with personal emotion

God forbid we act civilized, right? LOL! BTW a friend of mine has spent a lot of time training with GSP. He's supposed to be a hella nice guy and I'm a fan.

God forbid we act civilized, right? LOL! BTW a friend of mine has spent a lot of time training with GSP. He's supposed to be a hella nice guy and I'm a fan.

True....I now the Joslin clan...Jeff fought in UFC....they say he is humble and kind....and would still kick your ass!

Back