Amongst other Puerto Rican greats, where do you rank Cotto?

Still close to call. But Cotto is right up there after this performance against Martinez. If he gets another shot at Floyd, and somehow beats him, you can unquestionably call him the greatest PR fighter ever.

Right now only Tito is ahead of him but Cotto has closed the gap. Cotto's career is remarkable in that he's a 5'7" guy who has fought his whole career north of 140. Men of his stature normally start out at featherweight or lower (PAC,JMM) and pad there record fighting other midgets. Cotto has been fighting bigger dudes his whole career and his record speaks for itself.

tough to call

I'm going to say that Carlos Ortiz is the best for now

after that it becomes hazy, but I think that Cotto could very well have a solid case for #2. I'd have Benitez ahead of him, but not Gomez

so something like this:
1. Carlos Ortiz
2. Wilfred Benitez
3. Miguel Cotto
4. Wilfredo Gomez
5. Tito Trinidad
6. Rosario or Camacho maybe?

Last edited:
Best fighter from PR ever.

He's done as much or more than Ortiz, Benitez and Gomez- who are the guys who come to mind as being the greatest PR fighters.

Benitez is the best PR boxer of all time and Gomez, Cotto would come third or second to Benitez. Benitez is always recognized in PR as being one of the greatest boxers.

Trinidad beat DLH. You people need to get some sleep.

I'm pretty sure you saw that fight. Let's just say that none of the dozens of my PR family and friends that watch that fight believed Trinidad won that fight lol. I'm from PR and I love tito and was proud that he won but wasn't happy to see the wrong man get the decision.

Trinidad, Gomez, Benitez, etc. are better, IMO, but objectively, it's hard to say.

Right now only Tito is ahead of him but Cotto has closed the gap. Cotto's career is remarkable in that he's a 5'7" guy who has fought his whole career north of 140. Men of his stature normally start out at featherweight or lower (PAC,JMM) and pad there record fighting other midgets. Cotto has been fighting bigger dudes his whole career and his record speaks for itself.

Tito had some great wins and was one of the most popular fighters in the last decade; however, Cotto's latest resurge is something Trinidad wish he had in his career. That Hopkins fight put his career away. It wasn't a fight he was going to win. Hopkins was too big and strong for Tito. Tito at Welter was amazing. None of you remember him as a welterweight. Without a doubt one of the best welterweights.

Trinidad, Gomez, Benitez, etc. are better, IMO, but objectively, it's hard to say.

As I stated earlier Trinidad as a welterweight was where I loved him the most. Gomez and Benitez were much better fighters than Trinidad. Trinidad if he would have had the same success in middleweight that he had as welterweight he would have been the best fighter ever in PR.

Still close to call. But Cotto is right up there after this performance against Martinez. If he gets another shot at Floyd, and somehow beats him, you can unquestionably call him the greatest PR fighter ever.

Then I guess it is set then. Cotto will never be the greatest PR fighter ever unquestionably because PBF will unquestionably never allow that fight to happen.

Then I guess it is set then. Cotto will never be the greatest PR fighter ever unquestionably because PBF will unquestionably never allow that fight to happen.

Never say never, we always talk about Bob Arum and all these guys who are like the Knight Templars of boxing but we forget how the may weather camp choses their opponents. Cotto was chosen and that was actually a great fight for both of them. Just because Cotto outclassed Maravilla doesn't mean that the result will be any different. Canelo is about one of the few great fighters at the moment that would actually fight Cotto at 160 so no one is actually surprised that this can possibly be the next fight for Miguel Angel.

Benitez is the best PR boxer of all time and Gomez, Cotto would come third or second to Benitez. Benitez is always recognized in PR as being one of the greatest boxers.

hmm...

In what sense? In terms of popularity? Or resume? Because Cotto and Benitez are neck and neck IMO and Benitez was never the lineal champ of any division. Cotto has done that.

Benitez was a 3 division title holder, Cotto 4.

Cotto lost to Pac, Floyd, Tony and Trout and I think this is where Cotto potentially edges him out so far.Benitez lost to some greats as well. Hearns and Leonard. But he also lost to Mustafa Hamsho, who was b level and Davy Moore who was nothing more than a prospect when Benitez lost to him. Its debatable how much his later losses should be held against him, considering his health issues, but he did lose to some pretty mediocre guys.

hmm...

In what sense? In terms of popularity? Or resume? Because Cotto and Benitez are neck and neck IMO and Benitez was never the lineal champ of any division. Cotto has done that.

Benitez was a 3 division title holder, Cotto 4.

Cotto lost to Pac, Floyd, Tony and Trout and I think this is where Cotto potentially edges him out so far.Benitez lost to some greats as well. Hearns and Leonard. But he also lost to Mustafa Hamsho, who was b level and Davy Moore who was nothing more than a prospect when Benitez lost to him. Its debatable how much his later losses should be held against him, considering his health issues, but he did lose to some pretty mediocre guys.

Benitez beat Palomino and Cervantes, I think that made him lineal champ of 140 and 147

edit: also, Hamsho was no ATG, but he was by no means a bad fighter himself, that's a respectable loss

Last edited:
Also, I think that Carlos Ortiz is pretty clearly the PR GOAT

Duilio Loi, Laguna, Flash Elorde, Joe Brown, Sugar Ramos, Battling Torres, drew with Locche

that's a hard resume to beat, although he has quite a few losses too

Do you ever tire of making an absolute spectacle of yourself or are you genuinely unaware of how much of an absolute spastic you are?

its ok when he's right. and he is this time ;)

just sit back and admire the work ahaha

Cervantes and Palomino were both lineal champions, you dense twat.

The only exposure here is you revealing how much of an absolute newb you are with relation to this sport (a common theme with you.)

I honestly thought Cuevas was considered the lineal champ over Palomino. I stand corrected.

Back