Amnesty: Nigerian military knew about Schoolgirl kidnappings, did nothing to stop it

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by DhakaMMA, May 10, 2014.

1. DhakaMMA

DhakaMMA Purple Belt

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/09/world/africa/nigeria-abducted-girls/

http://news.antiwar.com/2014/05/09/amnesty-nigeria-had-advance-warning-of-boko-haram-kidnappings/

2. DhakaMMA

DhakaMMA Purple Belt

This comes just days after Abbey Martin did a splendid interview with an activist who described exactly how certain African governments use militancy (Kony, in her case) and perpetuate conflict as a means for getting economic and military aid. Most of which doesn't even help the poor. Even aid destined for refugees are diverted elsewhere. Must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2juh9B9F4g

This fits in perfectly with what's been going on in Nigeria (too), and this isn't the first case either. I've been reading sporadic reports for years now, hinting at Nigerian authorities allowing or perpetuating terror in the country.

1. Nigeria frees Boko Haram members from prison
    2. Nigeria negotiates with one group of "Boko Haram" militants, while another/main group of "Boko Haram" rejects it.
    I'd also like to point out that Boko Haram isn't even a conventional jihadist/Islamist group, its more of a cult. Similar to how Kony's LRA forces aren't even remotely Christian, since they blatantly go around pillaging villages and raping women.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. James Keith

James Keith Silver Belt

are you suggesting that the nigerians may be trying to scam people?

4. 5H3RD0G

5H3RD0G Silver Belt

Time for new leadership. Obviously not capable of anything useful.

5. Captain Davis

Captain Davis Senior Flatulator

3rd world problems.

6. Byron Carter

Byron Carter Purveyor of Wisdom Banned

Anyone seen Lord of War?

Africa is fucked.

7. emax

emax Black Belt

Considering that the military and other sections of the gov't are largely populated by Northern Nigerians, chiefly the Hausa and Fulani, this is not news at all to those who truly understand the dynamics of this place called Nigeria.

8. Oldmansavage

Oldmansavage Purple Belt

Cut off aid and let AIDS sort out this nonsense in Africa.

9. Its Me Austin

Its Me Austin Banned Banned

Well it's suspected that they kidnapped them and went somewhere into the Evil Forest (seriously, that's what it's called). Who wants to go there?

10. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

third world gonna third world

11. WARserra

WARserra GMEN > Everyone else

England left too soon.

12. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Silver Belt

I have yet to seen any competent African armed forces. No surprised about the Nigerian army.

13. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

What you did there, I see it.:icon_twis

Africa nations are so corrupt they would make Silvio Berlusconi blush. Their military forces are invariably poorly trained and equipped. The only world class military forces to come from Africa were the Rhodesians and the SADF.

I feel sorry for the girls and their families. They deserve to be rescued, and every member Boko Haram deserves to be shot and dumped in a mass grave. But Nigeria lacks the ability and the stomach to win this fight. And the West, once the outrage has died down and the masses are distracted by the next Big Story, will quickly lose interest.

14. DhakaMMA

DhakaMMA Purple Belt

You are not getting the full picture. Its not that Boko Haram are doing whatever they want because the African forces suck. Rather, the Nigerian forces have enabled Boko Haram activities. They want to perpetuate this conflict, because there's money to be made and power to be asserted. Did you see the second post in the thread, click the youtube link, the interviewee explains things perfectly.

There have been numerous authors and economists who have been saying that foreign-aid is a huge part of what's keeping Africa behind. But now there's a new twist, certain African nations will do whatever to ensure further foreign-aid, and the whole terror/kony/refugee angle is perfect. Foreign-aid strengthens regimes, and disconnects them from the people, since the people aren't paying the leader's checks.

Look at Somalia, and most other countries in Central Africa. They're all in disarray, whether its conflict, or whether its famine. But then you have Somaliland, which is a bastion of relative calm/peace within Somalia. Many say, because the West does not recognize Somaliland as an independent country (since they're trying to prop up the Somalian regime instead), they get no foreign aid, hence, Somaliland actually has incentives for political stability, unlike the others who profit off of Western "benevolence" (i.e., stupidity + elitism) in the form of humanitarian/economic/military aid.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  15. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Fair points, but in my defense, I did state that Nigeria, like virtually every other African nation, is breathtakingly corrupt. The idea that the Nigerian government is enabling Boko Haram is hardly shocking to me. I also stand by my comments about African military forces. Most of them are of extremely limited ability, even when there is the political will to deploy them.

As for Western Aid to Africa, I've long been of the belief that it should be stopped, since it rewards the corrupt and does nothing to help those who need it.

16. DhakaMMA

DhakaMMA Purple Belt

Some greats articles on the self-declared independent state of Somaliland oft-ignored in the media.

- In Somaliland, less money has brought more democracy
    "Unable to access foreign aid, Somaliland's government has had to negotiate with citizens and business leaders for financial support – and provide stability and democracy in return."

- In the self-declared state of Somaliland, ‘aid’ is a dirty word
    "The lack of aid is an advantage in many ways. It has helped bring economic resilience and peaceful elections to resolve disputes. And its institutions are forced to be democratic and inclusive, because otherwise the government would have no hope of coaxing taxes from citizens and the business community."

- Somaliland says “thanks, but no thanks” to foreign aid
    "Without a seat at the UN, Somaliland is ineligible for foreign aid. “That is a blessing in disguise. Aid never developed anything,” Hussein Abdi Dualeh, Somaliland’s minister of energy and minerals, told Reuters."

- Somaliland among fastest growing economies in Africa, although no foreign investment

But of course, you can't really celebrate peace and prosperity without the slimy E.U. technocracy coming in to take some of the credit as well. From their website:

In Somaliland, EU money brought more stability and development

They claim to send an "additional" 175 million Euros to Somalia, with 70% of it to be spent in Somaliland. How does that work exactly? If they give the money to the Somalian regime, then that creates discord with the Somaliland administration actually in charge of the territory. But if they give the money to the Somaliland administration, then that creats discord with the Somalians who the West are actually working with on Somalia and the "War on Terror/Piracy/Bogeyman". The E.U. is already sowing the seeds of instability.

17. ABACA

ABACA Brown Belt

Egypt

18. emax

emax Black Belt

If the Southern half of Nigeria could be independent, they would be at the very least a second world nation a la India. Alas, they can't, at least not at the moment.