Ammy in a pro gym

MMAFanboy99

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm 18 and have been training since I was 12 and I'm getting ready for my first fight this summer. I've been training recently at a gym that is primarily professional fighters and get kind of tooled on. There are a couple of guys that are close to my level but all the established pros beat me up pretty good. Are there any advantages to training at a gym where I'm kind of just starting my career and getting to work with these guys that really beat me up when I spar? (beating up is like just out scoring me, not them actually trying to rip my head off).

I mean, if they're beating you up as in outscoring you and not trying to KO or hurt you, then you'll gain a lot from working with them. Training with legit pros that are helping you out will force you to improve more. Subsequently it's a good thing to have some guys that are at your level, or even a little below, that you can dictating the pace on and build some confidence from training with. The confidence to impose your will is important.

When you've had your first ammy fight it'll probably be more clear for you what you need to be doing. You're a kid, you have plenty of time. As long as you're not taking unnecessary in training you should be fine. Good luck with your fight!

Stay there... you will learn a more lot when sparring with experienced guys, than just people your own level. It may seems overwhelming, and that you don't progress, but it's not like that. You just have to be patient. Don't expect to see progress against them, but that doesn't mean you are not learning...

I'm 18 and have been training since I was 12 and I'm getting ready for my first fight this summer. I've been training recently at a gym that is primarily professional fighters and get kind of tooled on. There are a couple of guys that are close to my level but all the established pros beat me up pretty good. Are there any advantages to training at a gym where I'm kind of just starting my career and getting to work with these guys that really beat me up when I spar? (beating up is like just out scoring me, not them actually trying to rip my head off).

Like everyone has said, keep at it, your not going to learn anything near as much training with people at the same level as you will with ones way above.

It must be a reasonable gym if they have a good sparring etiquette.

Sounds like you're at a good gym, you'll progress and improve with them, and eventually you'll finally be able to help them out on their training. Sometimes people complain about a lack in quality partners, but even those guys have holes that should be addressed sparring/drilling against green folks.

When I started out it was the same way, I felt I couldn't help out (or even hang with) with the pros / high level ammys, but now I'm able to having fights and more years under my belt. It just takes time. I remember feeling like I'd get obliterated at any moment, and the guy I was training with just worked on 1,kick and its variants (while outstriking me). The pros / high-level ammys you train with, will make the best of the situation and it'll be okay. Then you'll progress and things will be okay.

It is like in every sport or anything you do competitively. It may seem hard, but that is the only way to learn by training with better partners. You may seem confused and confidence to be low, but an year or two later you will be doing better. You will see that you need to push yourself more, a paradigm shift will happen. Do not quit the competition! Good luck, mate.

If you pick up 10% of something that is completely above your level, it's still going to come to a greater amount than picking up 50% of something of a lower level.

You're probably improving at an extremely high rate, but you're still getting out scored because they're so far ahead.

I had the same thing. Started boxing at 19 and got tooled for the first 6 months inside the gym, but as soon as I was competing I was walking over my opposition with ease and challenging very decorated amateurs in when we travelled to other gyms for sparring sessions.

As long as you aren't getting hurt. If they're sinply outclassing you technically without going hard, you're to learn a lot from them. Defense will skyrocket, and you'll develop offensive tools which will work on good opponents. Of course, there MUST be someone who is very close to your level around to spar harder.
This is probably the best case scenario. Surrounded by better fighters who don't go too hard on you.

You got beat up in a combat sports gym where nearly everyone is better than you?

GTFOH

Stick with it, I got fed to the wolves at a competitive school when I was 16 with 3 years pee wee under my belt. I was literally the dojo crash test dummy in a good natured way. One, because I was fearless and to stupid to be afraid, two because I was flexible as a rubber band and could take almost any punishment and three because I was athletic and tough as nails already 1st string on the varsity teams.

It'll teach you things that will stay with you all your life at that age and I can tell you from being 40...(cough...cough)...something.

Def sweat the fundamentals they're pointing out, try to get someone to drill stuff thrown at you during sparring so you can review tactics and technique.

Super great opportunity you got going dude!

As everyone else has pretty much stated, sounds like you are in a good gym. Soak it up. I also was fortunate to have a (my first) gym that had a couple of pros who went out of their way to not beat me to death while sparring. I still got totally destroyed by them for the first 4-6 months I was there, but I learned stuff that would likely have taken me years to figure out otherwise. Seems like you are making no progress, but it is absolutely the best way to learn imo. Good luck, stick with it!

Back