Amir Khans Body Fat ?.

YAPUREHEAVYDAFT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im just starting watching the fight and Amir is beign interviewed and says his body fat has went from around 16% in his first pro fight too just 1.5% now.
I can see hes a totaly difrent physical speciemen from then and is as ripped as ive seen a fighter but is it possible to have such little BF without it effecting you in a fight?.
As far as i heard if your BF is that low your likely to die as you need some fat on your body just to live.
Ive heard fighters say there BF is around 5% which would seem about right but anything lower than 3% im sure would have a negitive effect on your body or am i totally wrong in thinking this?.

I doubt he'd be that percentage when hes actually fighting as he will of put waterweight back on overnight. 1.5% is roughly what bodybuilders bf% is at competitions.

Hes also put on alot of muscle on his frame, i think he said 12lbs in the interview.

looks impresive, just needs to sort out his clinching for the next fight

i'm not buying the 1.5% bf claim. i think that is over exaggerated or he was just told wrong.

to me he looked more lean than anything compared to his last fight.

Yeah I heard that and laughed. Pro bodybuilders don't even get down that low. At the lowest he was about 7%, at the weigh-in that is.

I'm pretty sure Ben Wallace had a body fat percentage that low. It's definitely possible.

I'm pretty sure Ben Wallace had a body fat percentage that low. It's definitely possible.

No he didn't and no it's not.

Gilbert Arenas also said he had like 3% body fat in an interview a few years ago.

A lot of these guys really have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to body fat numbers.

1.5% is bullshit even 3% is pushing it. I read that the human body retains 5% body fat.

John Berardi is pretty lean and he is at 8%

Yeah id heard anything lower than 3% could lead to your body shuting down.
Ive never heard of anyone with 1.5% body fat.
I rember watching a documentry on this body builder and they made a big point out of the fact his BF was about 3% which they said is pretty much unheard of even amongst body builders Olympic athletes etc.
I rember them saying that anything less could mean death as your body just needs that fat to live off.The body builder also said it left him so drained that he found it hard to just walk which if thats the case i doubt you could be ready for twelve rounds were anything can happen.

I doubt he'd be that percentage when hes actually fighting as he will of put waterweight back on overnight. 1.5% is roughly what bodybuilders bf% is at competitions.

Hes also put on alot of muscle on his frame, i think he said 12lbs in the interview.

looks impresive, just needs to sort out his clinching for the next fight

Body fat and water retention arent the same thing.You can sweat out a lot of weight in a few hours training and put it back on as fast as you can drink.
You cant burn a few pounds of fat in a few hours and again you cant put much on in a short time.
I guess he was either informed wrong or is trying to get some physcological edge either way from what i heard i just didnt think that 1.5% body fat would be possible or an advantage for a fighter.
Risking organ failure crippling fatigue etc doesnt sound right for someone trying to win what could be a twelve round fight IMO.

It is generally impossible to achieve a body-fat reading of below three-percent. Even under conditions of starvation, the body will maintain a degree of fat to support vital organs (essential fat). It is thought that about three-percent of a man's body-fat is essential.

Women need more essential fat for child bearing and other hormone related functions (the average woman's essential body-fat is around 12-percent). Essential fat is stored in the bone marrow, around the internal organs, and in the brain and spinal cord.

The average male (aged 20-30), according to statistical norms, will hold between 13-16 percent body-fat. Bodybuilders and other fitness adherents, on the other hand, tend to go much lower, but still generally do not go any lower than four-six-percent to achieve their best conditioning.

Bodybuilding.com - David Robson - Calipers: Are They Effective For Measuring Body-fat?

Even when pro body builders get to like 5% or so they don't sustain that level for very long. Basically long enough to compete and then they rehydrate etc.

amir is always coming out with how great he is physically.. maybe this is a sign of his insecurity..1.5% makes me laugh.. he's no way close to being below 6% ..

I could be wrong but i think i read that anything under 8% is not healthy and that having too low body fat will reduce the ammount of testosterone your body produces. Can anyone confirm this?

Back