Amir Khan states he will box & move against Canelo, talks rehydration clause

He busted up Garcia because Danny knew that he could land his KO shot if he planted his feet and threw with Khan. He was landing the left hook regularly and getting closer to the KO, he was never going to abondon that because of a cut over his eye. It was a very good strategy because Khan is always going to bounce back in and try to land combinations, he doesn't have the power to hurt a Garcia. He was walking through his shots because Khan's offense wasn't stopping him land his own, he was moving in, taking Khan's shots and looking to land his own on the way out. That sounds like someone walking through punches to me.

Pacquaio knocked down Algieri six times, Khan couldn't hurt him, he's not a guy who is going to worry welterweights with a strong chin, never mind a middlewight with a very strong chin. Canelo has taken everyones best shots including a powerful Kirkland, Angulo and Cotto who was knocking other middleweights silly.

If Khan could land consistently he would have a chance of cutting Canelo up, but whenever he fight someone who throws in volume from the outside, he drops his hands and uses his head movement. Canelo's upper body and head movement is very hard to land consistently on, everyone who has tried that strategy has struggled to land and ship counters. Canelo will drop the high guard, not worry about Khan's power and look to slip and rip.

Khan definitely has the power to hurt Garcia. Garcia knows that. Khan has dropped or stopped tough guys before. Garcia did what He did because it was the only chance he had. He was not going to outbox Khan. He did what he does best and he landed his big shot. That was a great shot from Garcia. But Khan clearly had the power to damage Garcia or anybody else.

Pac knocked Algieri down 3-times, and he slipped 3 more times that a shitty ref ruled knock-downs. Algieri is one of the toughest guys in his division. He has proven that.

Whether or not Canelo will "walk through" Khan's punches really just depends on your definition of those words, so I will leave that statement alone and just say that Khan has enough power to hurt people if he lands his shots.

By the way, I do not think Khan will beat Canelo. But Khan is being underrated in some ways.

Last edited:
Khan definitely has the power to hurt Garcia. Garcia knows that. Khan has dropped or stopped tough guys before. Garcia did what He did because it was the only chance he had. He was not going to outbox Khan. He did what he does best and he landed his big shot. That was a great shot from Garcia. But Khan clearly had the power to damage Garcia or anybody else.

Pac knocked Algieri down 3-times, and he slipped 3 more times that a shitty ref ruled knock-downs. Algieri is one of the toughest guys in his division. He has proven that.

Whether or not Canelo will "walk through" Khan's punches really just depends on your definition of those words, so I will leave that statement alone and just say that Khan has enough power to hurt people if he lands his shots.

By the way, I do not think Khan will beat Canelo. But Khan is being underrated in some ways.

Khan has the power to hurt Garcia? Based on what exactly? Garcia went toe to toe with Lucas Mattyhse, got his gum shield punched out and literally traded punch for punch at times without looking the least bit hurt. I'm struggling to see the evidence of Khan's power here, especially above light welterweight. Garcia has a very solid chin, Khan has never hurt anyone who has got a very good chin, he's got a few early flash knockdowns against guys like Peterson who start slow, but he's never put anyone out or hurt anyone who is considered to have good chin.

Looked more than three knockdowns to me, and even taking your count it's three more than Khan could manage.

Anyone has the power to hurt anyone if they land their best shot, but there's simply no evidence behind any of your claims. Khan hasn't showed any kind of knockout power in recent times. His last 'KO' was a low blow/body shot against Zab Judah. Since moving up to Welterweight he has had 4 decisions against guys custom made for him, if he was a puncher, it would have shown by now, he hits people enough.

Khan is a good boxer if he's given space. The one thing about Khan is he's horrible inside. He's really going to have to be on his bike to keep Canelo from getting inside and tearing him up there. I got Canelo by KO in this fight.

Khan has the power to hurt Garcia? Based on what exactly? Garcia went toe to toe with Lucas Mattyhse, got his gum shield punched out and literally traded punch for punch at times without looking the least bit hurt. I'm struggling to see the evidence of Khan's power here, especially above light welterweight. Garcia has a very solid chin, Khan has never hurt anyone who has got a very good chin, he's got a few early flash knockdowns against guys like Peterson who start slow, but he's never put anyone out or hurt anyone who is considered to have good chin.

Looked more than three knockdowns to me, and even taking your count it's three more than Khan could manage.

Anyone has the power to hurt anyone if they land their best shot, but there's simply no evidence behind any of your claims. Khan hasn't showed any kind of knockout power in recent times. His last 'KO' was a low blow/body shot against Zab Judah. Since moving up to Welterweight he has had 4 decisions against guys custom made for him, if he was a puncher, it would have shown by now, he hits people enough.

You start off by saying that Khan cannot hurt Garcia, but you ended by saying that anybody can hurt anybody.

I think it is interesting who fans choose to label as a good puncher. Besides Khan, who is notoriously chinny, Danny Garcia does not have an impressive knock out on his resume. He has a very pedestrian knock out percentage even at 140. But I see fans claim he is quite the puncher.

Khan does not need one shot power, because he throws enough shots to accumulate damage. He stopped a version of Paulie that went 12 rounds with Cotto.

It only took him two rounds to open up Danny Garcia's eye. I consider that hurting a guy since it is damage that can end a fight. A few more rounds like the first two, and you may have seen a corner or Dr. stoppage there.

Khan also dropped Maidana, and he was hurt pretty bad. He knocked Collazo down 3 times at 147.

There is more than enough evidence to make the general statement that Khan can hurt people. Claiming otherwise is actually a bit silly.

You start off by saying that Khan cannot hurt Garcia, but you ended by saying that anybody can hurt anybody.

I think it is interesting who fans choose to label as a good puncher. Besides Khan, who is notoriously chinny, Danny Garcia does not have an impressive knock out on his resume. He has a very pedestrian knock out percentage even at 140. But I see fans claim he is quite the puncher.

Khan does not need one shot power, because he throws enough shots to accumulate damage. He stopped a version of Paulie that went 12 rounds with Cotto.

It only took him two rounds to open up Danny Garcia's eye. I consider that hurting a guy since it is damage that can end a fight. A few more rounds like the first two, and you may have seen a corner or Dr. stoppage there.

Khan also dropped Maidana, and he was hurt pretty bad. He knocked Collazo down 3 times at 147.

There is more than enough evidence to make the general statement that Khan can hurt people. Claiming otherwise is actually a bit silly.

If all you're theory of Khan's power is based on 'anyone can hurt anyone at any time' then yeah I'll give you that one. You know exactly what I meant, a perfect punch is possible by anyone but Khan has routinely proved that he isn't a big puncher his entire career. He has no achievements above LWW that suggests he is someone who should be labelled as a puncher.

Garcia hurt and knocked down Lucas, KO'd Morales, KO'd Khan, KO'd Salka and fucked up Paulie somewhat too. They are all way more impressive indictments of power than opening a cut over Garcia's eye. Rod Salka may be shit, but Khan wouldn't lay him out like that. Danny has proven he is a puncher, he's hurt plenty of people, durable fighters too and got legit one punch KO's on his record, which is a very true sign of power.

Khan dropped Maidana with a perfect live shot, he didn't hurt with any headshots. I'm not saying isn't a show of power, but he has put someone down with that shot once in his career, it was the perfect punch that isn't going to be repeated often. If he hits Garcia with that same shot then he goes down to, but the chances of doing that again are slim and neglible to a debate about power.

Khan hit Garcia with a lot of hard shots and never come close to hurting him. Getting a cut over your eye is not the same as being hurt, ask any fighter after the contest if they would consider themselves hurt from the cut, they would all say no. You can cut someone from a jab and it's usually guys with less power and more of a loose punching style that cause cuts. An actual show of power would of been one of the many hard shots Khan landed on Garcia's jaw hurting him but none did.

But you never said 'Khan can hurt people', you said 'Khan can definitely hurt Garcia'. You haven't provided a single piece of evidence that backs that idea up, the fact is, Khan has already hit Garcia with his best shots and he didn't hurt him at all, and he hasn't hurt any body as durable as Garcia. Khan and Garcia could fight 10 times and I doubt Garcia would get hurt in any of them, he might get outboxed in a few, but his chin is very good and Khan doesn't punch hard enough to crack it.

If all you're theory of Khan's power is based on 'anyone can hurt anyone at any time' then yeah I'll give you that one. You know exactly what I meant, a perfect punch is possible by anyone but Khan has routinely proved that he isn't a big puncher his entire career. He has no achievements above LWW that suggests he is someone who should be labelled as a puncher.

Garcia hurt and knocked down Lucas, KO'd Morales, KO'd Khan, KO'd Salka and fucked up Paulie somewhat too. They are all way more impressive indictments of power than opening a cut over Garcia's eye. Rod Salka may be shit, but Khan wouldn't lay him out like that. Danny has proven he is a puncher, he's hurt plenty of people, durable fighters too and got legit one punch KO's on his record, which is a very true sign of power.

Khan dropped Maidana with a perfect live shot, he didn't hurt with any headshots. I'm not saying isn't a show of power, but he has put someone down with that shot once in his career, it was the perfect punch that isn't going to be repeated often. If he hits Garcia with that same shot then he goes down to, but the chances of doing that again are slim and neglible to a debate about power.

Khan hit Garcia with a lot of hard shots and never come close to hurting him. Getting a cut over your eye is not the same as being hurt, ask any fighter after the contest if they would consider themselves hurt from the cut, they would all say no. You can cut someone from a jab and it's usually guys with less power and more of a loose punching style that cause cuts. An actual show of power would of been one of the many hard shots Khan landed on Garcia's jaw hurting him but none did.

But you never said 'Khan can hurt people', you said 'Khan can definitely hurt Garcia'. You haven't provided a single piece of evidence that backs that idea up, the fact is, Khan has already hit Garcia with his best shots and he didn't hurt him at all, and he hasn't hurt any body as durable as Garcia. Khan and Garcia could fight 10 times and I doubt Garcia would get hurt in any of them, he might get outboxed in a few, but his chin is very good and Khan doesn't punch hard enough to crack it.

My statement is that Khan can hurt Garcia. That is absolutely accurate, he can.

A fighter can say whatever they want. Ask Vitali if Lewis hurt him, and I wouldn't care what his response is because he got stopped.

Being damaged is being hurt. No level of toughness can keep the blood inside your body when a guy cuts you up like that. Khan did hurt Garcia, and it only took 2 rounds.

My statement is that Khan can hurt Garcia. That is absolutely accurate, he can.

A fighter can say whatever they want. Ask Vitali if Lewis hurt him, and I wouldn't care what his response is because he got stopped.

Being damaged is being hurt. No level of toughness can keep the blood inside your body when a guy cuts you up like that. Khan did hurt Garcia, and it only took 2 rounds.

That's a completely pointless statement and you know it, I could also hurt Garica if given enough chances could I not? A better bechmark of someones power is to talk about likelihood, what's the likelihood of Khan hurting Garcia? Based on the evidence the chances of it happening are low, if they fought again the odds of a Khan KO would reflect this.

Picking one of the worst cuts in memory isn't really a fair reference is it. Khan opened up a cut above Garcia's eye that didn't bother him at all, when someone is hurt in the ring they display behaviour that supports this. Garcia carried on taking Khan's shots and knocked him out, he wasn't hurt.

You can choose whatever definition of the word you want, but I'm sticking with boxing, and in boxing a cut over your eye isn't a sign that someone has been hurt from a punch, most cuts actually come from headbutts, are they hurt then as well?

Either way it's a pointless discussion because Khan proved he couldn't hurt Garcia when his shots to the head had very little effect, scoring a cut doesn't reverse all of that. If Khan had hurt anyone with a chin like Garcia I could relate to the point a little, but he's never shown that he can hurt a strong WW with a very good chin.

That's a completely pointless statement and you know it, I could also hurt Garica if given enough chances could I not? A better bechmark of someones power is to talk about likelihood, what's the likelihood of Khan hurting Garcia? Based on the evidence the chances of it happening are low, if they fought again the odds of a Khan KO would reflect this.

Picking one of the worst cuts in memory isn't really a fair reference is it. Khan opened up a cut above Garcia's eye that didn't bother him at all, when someone is hurt in the ring they display behaviour that supports this. Garcia carried on taking Khan's shots and knocked him out, he wasn't hurt.

You can choose whatever definition of the word you want, but I'm sticking with boxing, and in boxing a cut over your eye isn't a sign that someone has been hurt from a punch, most cuts actually come from headbutts, are they hurt then as well?

Either way it's a pointless discussion because Khan proved he couldn't hurt Garcia when his shots to the head had very little effect, scoring a cut doesn't reverse all of that. If Khan had hurt anyone with a chin like Garcia I could relate to the point a little, but he's never shown that he can hurt a strong WW with a very good chin.

Khan fought two rounds with Garcia, and opened a cut above his eye with punches. That is a pretty effective 2 rounds.

Small cuts become big cuts, and big cuts end fights. Especially when it is only the 2nd round when you start bleeding. Khan is a pretty effective puncher. Paulie had a hell of a chin in those days and Khan accumulated enough damage to stop the fight.

Khan fought two rounds with Garcia, and opened a cut above his eye with punches. That is a pretty effective 2 rounds.

Pretty effective in opening a cut? Yep. Aldo was also effective in opening up a cut on Conor Mcgregor.

Effective in hurting him? No obviously not, which is why Garcia didn't exhibit any behaviour of a hurt fighter and proceeded to KO him. Simple really.

Pretty effective in opening a cut? Yep. Aldo was also effective in opening up a cut on Conor Mcgregor.

Effective in hurting him? No obviously not, which is why Garcia didn't exhibit any behaviour of a hurt fighter and proceeded to KO him. Simple really.

That doesn't really make sense.

That doesn't really make sense.

Neither does this reply.

What part of Garcia not showing any signs of being hurt is confusing? That's simply how you judge if a fighter is hurt.

Neither does this reply.

What part of Garcia not showing any signs of being hurt is confusing? That's simply how you judge if a fighter is hurt.

We are talking about the ability to hurt people. I consider landed punches causing damage evidence of being able to hurt a guy. Damage ends fights, regardless of how tough you are. Khan showed he could hurt Garcia by those standards. You do not have to knock a guy out to hurt someone.

Ever seen Monty Python? Was it really a flesh wound just because the black knight was not in pain? No. He was hurt.

Your Jose Aldo line did not align well with our discussion.

tumblr_ng75k2LPvy1rfj2evo2_500.gif

We are talking about the ability to hurt people. I consider landed punches causing damage evidence of being able to hurt a guy. Damage ends fights, regardless of how tough you are. Khan showed he could hurt Garcia by those standards. You do not have to knock a guy out to hurt someone.

Ever seen Monty Python? Was it really a flesh wound just because the black knight was not in pain? No. He was hurt.

Your Jose Aldo line did not align well with our discussion.

A busted nose is also damage, it doesn't mean the guy is hurt does it? You wouldn't hear a single person say someone was hurt if their nose started bleeding, unless of course they exhibit the behaviour of someone who is hurt, like Khan did when Garcia hit him.

How far does it go, is a bust lip a hurt fighter as well? black eye? What about a headbut that opens a cut, is he hurt there too? I mean it doesn't matter what the intent was, blood is blood? This is nonsense and you know it, and that's why you're definition of a hurt fighter is not shared by the boxing world, fighters don't align someone getting a cut as a fighter being hurt unless they show that they are hurt in some way, neither do trainers, neither do referees, the commentators don't and I'm pretty sure most fans don't.

The only time a guy is hurt from a cut is if the cut effects his ability to fight at his best, if he's not showing any distress or sign of being hurt, he isn't hurt.

Khans a good boxer, it's just unfortunate that his chin doesn't quite match up with his heart and spirit in the ring.

A busted nose is also damage, it doesn't mean the guy is hurt does it? You wouldn't hear a single person say someone was hurt if their nose started bleeding, unless of course they exhibit the behaviour of someone who is hurt, like Khan did when Garcia hit him.

How far does it go, is a bust lip a hurt fighter as well? black eye? What about a headbut that opens a cut, is he hurt there too? I mean it doesn't matter what the intent was, blood is blood? This is nonsense and you know it, and that's why you're definition of a hurt fighter is not shared by the boxing world, fighters don't align someone getting a cut as a fighter being hurt unless they show that they are hurt in some way, neither do trainers, neither do referees, the commentators don't and I'm pretty sure most fans don't.

The only time a guy is hurt from a cut is if the cut effects his ability to fight at his best, if he's not showing any distress or sign of being hurt, he isn't hurt.

If a guy has a broken nose he is definitely hurt. If a guy has a cut on his eye then he is hurt too. There is not one kind of "hurt" in the boxing world.

A broken hand is hurt. An eye that is swollen shut is hurt. And so on.

You are using hurt to mean woozy, wobbled, or as some expression of the guy's feelings. You can stop guys without ever having them in that condition. I do not think that is the only time you can use the word hurt.

Khan can, and often does, hurt people with punches. He stopped Paulie, dropped Maidana, opened a cut on Garcia, put Collazo down 3 times, all with punches. Not accidental head butts, only punches.

If he can drop Maidana and stop Paulie, yes he can hurt Garcia (and arguably did hurt Garcia).

Out of curiosity, do you think Cotto hurt Margarito in the rematch? That is a good example of how we differ I think.

Last edited:
For a guy that kind of could hit at 140 (respectable power), to seeing very little of that power carry up to ww with him, to now fighting at MW, I don't see how Khan can keep Canelo honest. Better movers, and more defensively reliable guys have had trouble keeping him at bay. Nothing makes me feel good Khan winning this fight.

Man, If I was Khan''s team I would of pushed for some sort of rehydration clause but I think Team Khan was so desperate to get a big PPV fight that they just went with it. Poor guy, if it were a even fight he would win but Canelo is going to be 180 while he will be 165.

Upset in the air Khan too fast

Seems like khan is the kind of guy that does damage over time. Fast Punches, multiple hits equals damage over time. He can create some damage but it is not the attractive "power punching" that fans are looking for. Can it be effective? It can if one had a the strength to withstand some counters. Khan does not have the strength to withstand a well placed shot to the chin. Luckily for Garcia that was the case. I have to see more Khan matches to see how he will do against Alvarez.

If Khan beats Canelo, its not going to be because of his punching power.

Back