Amir Khan should join the Mayweather camp...

JDKO

White Belt
Reaction score
There have been loads of rumours circulating on who Khan's next trainer will be since he sacked Oliver Harrison... For me there is only one choice, Roger Mayweather. Khan has the power & handspeed to trouble anyone, but needs to add that slickness & guile to his defence before he can beat the best. Who has a better defence that Flody? I think being around Floyd & Roger in Vegas and learning from them will turn Amir Khan into a boxing monster... Please don't go with Buddy McGirt.

I also think he should dump Frank Warren as promoter before he has him defending his WBU belt 9 times by 2010.

I dont think anybody should join the mayweather camp that isnt already versed in that style of fighting.. That shoulder roll fighting is something you have to grow into. Theres a big upside, but there are also growing pains.. and in this sport, an undefeated prospect shouldnt risk his future on learning a new style of fighting. He should go to a freddy roach or something. Somebody that will add to the style he already has

I dont think anybody should join the mayweather camp that isnt already versed in that style of fighting.. That shoulder roll fighting is something you have to grow into. Theres a big upside, but there are also growing pains.. and in this sport, an undefeated prospect shouldnt risk his future on learning a new style of fighting. He should go to a freddy roach or something. Somebody that will add to the style he already has

Its not all in the shoulder roll though. DLH trains under Floyd Sr. and he isnt much of a shell fighter.
I think Amir should train with one of the Mayweather's, he is only 21 years old and his biggest flaw is his lack of defense. Couple years with those guys he could really be something.

Its not all in the shoulder roll though. DLH trains under Floyd Sr. and he isnt much of a shell fighter.
I think Amir should train with one of the Mayweather's, he is only 21 years old and his biggest flaw is his lack of defense. Couple years with those guys he could really be something.

Besides Flyd Mayweather JR who has Roger Mayweather trained that's been at that top level of fighting?

FLoyd Mayweather Jr. seems like he works for his uncle out of charity if anything because Roger's been good to him. Floyd knows what e's doing inside the ring. "Keep doing whacha doing" advice from Roger has nothing to do with Floyd Jr. winning matches.

Roger needs to build a successful fighter where e can take more than enough credit.

Besides Flyd Mayweather JR who has Roger Mayweather trained that's been at that top level of fighting?

FLoyd Mayweather Jr. seems like he works for his uncle out of charity if anything because Roger's been good to him. Floyd knows what e's doing inside the ring. "Keep doing whacha doing" advice from Roger has nothing to do with Floyd Jr. winning matches.

Roger needs to build a successful fighter where e can take more than enough credit.

LOL right its just charity, its not like PBF has actually needed a trainer he can learn from for the past so many years. And of course Roger had NO HAND in turning Floyd into the fighter he is now, right? Oh lets not forget the fact that he was considering FIRING Roger if he trained Seve Forbes against De La Hoya, cause a Forbes victory takes money out of PB's pockets.
Come on dude, the guy is Roger Mayweather.

Not trying to bash Roger Mayweather, but who has he trained? He trained Forbes for a while right? Who else has he trained that has competed at a high level?

Floyd St trained ODLH, anyone else I might know of? I feel like i always see Steward, McGirt, and Roach in fighters corners, but never Roger of Floyd Sr. Who else do they trian?

depends on his mental state and character; the mayweathers don't do things your way or your management way, they do things their way and expect you to fall in line.

khan might not be willing to take direction the way the mayweathers give it; maybe he will or maybe he won't.

depends on his mental state and character; the mayweathers don't do things your way or your management way, they do things their way and expect you to fall in line.

khan might not be willing to take direction the way the mayweathers give it; maybe he will or maybe he won't.

Well that is there. But Khan said recently that Roger Mayweather is one of the two frontrunners, he and Buddy.
Its my personal opinion that Amir will be most successful under Roger, as long as he respects him as a coach.

The Mayweather style isn't all about the philly shell. You can use your shoulders for defence without having to rotate them at all times(look at OSDLH, who bye the way Sr. didn't have since birth). The Maywheathers do however require natural speed and reflexes as a prerequisite or they won't work with you on a serious level. Sr. and Roger both know how to train punchers, pressure fighters etc., they just choose not to. And yes, Amir will fit in well.

DLH looks like crap when he tries to use mayweathers style..he eats a lot of right hands. He has gotten worse.. not better since training with mayweather imo

Oscar looks like crap because hes a flat footed old man whos past his prime and gets tired. Style has nothing to do with it. He looked pretty good shielding his chin against Vargas didn't he?

roger mayweather is training a kid named cornileuos lock look out for him he looks like hell be pretty damn good fighter.

Roger Mayweather hasn't got the biggest stable of fighters to back up his credentials, but i think Khan would mature better training with him than Buddy McGirt.
With Floyd Jr retired now, he'd be there to help Amir develop as well. Being based in Vegas couldn't hurt either...

Oscar looks like crap because hes a flat footed old man whos past his prime and gets tired. Style has nothing to do with it. He looked pretty good shielding his chin against Vargas didn't he?

He looked like crap against Vargas. Had he used his old style(which he eventually reverted to in that fight), he would have totally dominated that fight. He ate a lot of leather because he was trying to make a style that takes years and years to perfect work without putting in those years.
Also, being flat footed has nothing to do with why Oscar looks bad... look at Floyd's highlight moments of defensive displays... the one thing they all have in common is that he goes flat footed before he starts making his opponents look like free winging green amateurs.

Now what has Mayweather done for DLH?... he's improved his right hand.. thats it... and it was at the cost of lessening his left hook

Not trying to bash Roger Mayweather, but who has he trained? He trained Forbes for a while right? Who else has he trained that has competed at a high level?

Floyd St trained ODLH, anyone else I might know of? I feel like i always see Steward, McGirt, and Roach in fighters corners, but never Roger of Floyd Sr. Who else do they trian?

The problem with Roger's other Fighters is he neglects them a lot when Floyd was in training, but they exist, and they're not all garbage either.

Floyd Sr. has trained Dawson, Hanshaw, and a couple of other Fighters who have at least fought on the World Level.

That said, Jeff > both of them.

He looked like crap against Vargas. Had he used his old style(which he eventually reverted to in that fight), he would have totally dominated that fight. He ate a lot of leather because he was trying to make a style that takes years and years to perfect work without putting in those years.
Also, being flat footed has nothing to do with why Oscar looks bad... look at Floyd's highlight moments of defensive displays... the one thing they all have in common is that he goes flat footed before he starts making his opponents look like free winging green amateurs.

Now what has Mayweather done for DLH?... he's improved his right hand.. thats it... and it was at the cost of lessening his left hook

If crushing Vargas with left hooks(because it's second nature being hes naturally left handed and his left hook is fing beast) is "changing his style" than you got me. I don't think he looked like"crap" in that fight, wasn't that a career defining win? One could argue he looked like crap running from Tito in the final round. Also, Oscar would not have dominated with a different corner man sorry. I will agree that he went through obvious growing pains converting to his new style. He didn't look "bad" sheilding himself against the ropes. Of course the MayW style takes years to develope, thats why I wrote earliar that Sr. didn't get to train Oscar since birth. Are you telling me that when your in a philly shield you plant your feet in the pocket to roll off shots, NO FING SHIT CRACKY RICKSON BYE ARMBAR. I call Oscar flat footed because hes never on his toes anymore even at long and mid range(I 'd like to hear you argue against that one). Just because Sr. got Oscar after his better years doesn't make him a bad trainer. Just because I'm a yellow belt doesn't make me an idiot Cracky, read my other posts.

I know Mcgirt is considered the hot trainer right now, but I'm not real impressed. The way he yells and talks so fast in between rounds has gotta be distracting. The dude is seriously going 100 mph for the entire minute between rounds.

I know Mcgirt is considered the hot trainer right now, but I'm not real impressed. The way he yells and talks so fast in between rounds has gotta be distracting. The dude is seriously going 100 mph for the entire minute between rounds.

I would avoid McGirt like the plague.

He's been a roll lately...a bad one.

McGirt: You'll be fine Gatti, dont worry about Mayweahter

Gatti gets beat up for 6 rounds

McGirt: Stay calm, your doing fine

throws in towel

lol

Back