Amir Khan enters MMA in Super Fight League investment

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
i

Two-time world boxing champion Amir Khan has officially entered the world of mixed martial arts.

Khan, 28, has purchased an undisclosed stake in Super Fight League, an India-based MMA promotion founded in 2012. The company has promoted 41 total live events, including five in the U.S. within the last 10 months.

The British boxer is a longtime acquaintance of SFL CEO Bill Dosanjh. Khan says he considers MMA a second passion behind boxing and anticipates taking a hands-on approach as a new co-owner of the promotion.

"We're looking at taking this all around the world," Khan told ESPN.com. "Live events in Dubai and the U.S. as well. We're in talks with some big TV companies in the U.S. and hoping to break into the market in 2016.

"I've made an investment with SFL because I really do believe in it. Obviously, we have things to do yet, but once we crack into the American market and give them a taste of what we do -- this is the fastest growing sport in the world. It definitely gives boxing a good run for its money. One reason I've become a big fan of MMA is I've spent more time in America and it's always on TV. I think within the next couple years, it's only going to get bigger."

Khan is not the first high-profile boxer to invest in MMA. Almost exactly one year ago, boxing star Manny Pacquiao announced he had made an investment in Asia-based promotion ONE Championship.

Like Pacquiao, Khan doesn't anticipate competing in an MMA contest -- but he says he's excited to be involved in both the business and athletic side of the sport. He also sees SFL's focus on the U.S. market as having a potential positive for his image.

"All MMA guys know boxing, and I can give them advice," Khan said. "I've been kind of involved in MMA before, when I trained with Freddie Roach he was training [former UFC welterweight champion] Georges St-Pierre.

"I don't think I'll ever be in the cage fighting, but I think being around the fighters and events will definitely be part of my involvement. My name is getting bigger in America, and I also think being involved with this will help my brand.

"I think it could even help my boxing career. Sometimes you get into grappling in the boxing ring. You have to know how to survive and how to break away from those holds, so working with MMA fighters I think will help me as well."

According to a news release, SFL is in the process of signing a "television distribution agreement that the company expects to announce soon." The company's headquarters is in India, but Khan says it has opened offices in the U.S. and Dubai as well.

Khan's going to be on MMAHour at around 3:45 today.

Wants to get into the MMA biz, blows his money on one of the worst promotions out there.

Lol. Do your research, bud.

hope he fails , like his attempt at getting a Mayweather fight

I thought SFL was shut down due to ridiculously shady business practices with its fighters?

33yl18i.jpg

2nd page and no Supa Fite Leeg GIF? I will help out.

Yeah, all the best companies are dying for those rupees. And that SFL level striking.

2cxvyib.gif

The Hawt one would be impressed, sign them both. A couple weeks with Bas and they'd be knocking people out with those palm strikes

Honestly forgot they were still around.

Damn, for a second I thought he was going to fight in MMA, not give money to SFL.

Back