Amir Aliakbari vs. Heath Herring

I have to watch again but I think you are right.

Are they judging each round or the whole fight? I couldn't tell. If you judge the whole fight Amir did a lot more damage.

it shouldn't have gone to a 3rd round. I get why you'd want one, but Aliakbari killed him for half of the fight, and at worst the second was a draw, and i wouldn't have had it that. Aliakbari won just about the entire fight. Herring stood, Herring fought and Herring lost.

Yeah judging the whole fight Amir takes it. First round it was raining punches by Amir

Where was Shane Carwin? Did Rizin not have appropriately XXXXXL gloves for him to wear?

Aliakbari looked bad.

Herring was in horrible shape. Worse ever. And if this fight would have gone to a third round, he might have been able to beat Aliakbari.

All in all disappointing fight from both guys.

Aliakbari had a very disappointed look on his face at the end of the event.

He realized he was not such an unstoppable force he thought he was after his first three wins.

Yes, he is extremely dangerous in the first round, but drag him to the deep waters and he's very beatable.

I still think he's an awesome prospect (and might even win the event) but he needs to learn a lot.

Actually a good performance by Herring considering his age, layoff and short notice..easy toughest fights of Amirs career, didn't look super horribly out of shape but has def out on some fat and lost a bit of muscle mass, looked a bit rusty but still very durable and could of nearly taken that fight. Amir blasted him very hard, I'm not sure many other heavyweights could of eaten that onslaught.

We'll see on Amir, but I think one fight is a little too early to say his cardio in horrible in general. Pretty much any HW, even Cain, would have gassed doing what he did. The throw was cool but probably not a good idea in this weight class. It takes a ton out of you. He needs to learn to pick his shots and be more patient. Even still he was never in any real danger in round 2. If he does learn to fight more patient and still ends up gassing then yeah, his cardio is bad.

What has Amir been working on at AKA? In his 4 fights I haven't seen him demonstrate anything other wrestling. I'd expect to see him strive for position, and go for some RNCs.

I was surprised at no 3rd round.

Yes, obviously Amir won R1 by a lot more than Heath won R2, and so Amir clearly did better over the whole 10 minutes.
But I thought the scoring system was supposed to all or nothing, by round. There's no way you can claim Herring didn't win R2.

And momentum was working in Heath's favor.

The judging clearly worked against wrestlers, but this was also a terrible matchup for Heath on top of short notice and long layoff.
At his age, with no championship aspirations driving him, you're never going to see prime Herring again. But I thought this wasn't bad. If he goes back to regular training and full camps, I think he can still put on a couple more very respectable 'fun fights' for Rizin and/or Bellator.

Last edited:
I was surprised at no 3rd round.

Yes, obviously Amir won R1 by a lot more than Heath won R2, and so Amir clearly did better over the whole 10 minutes.
But I thought the scoring system was supposed to all or nothing, by round. There's no way you can claim Herring didn't win R2.

And momentum was working in Heath's favor.

The judging clearly worked against wrestlers, but this was also a terrible matchup for Heath on top of short notice and long layoff.
At his age, with no championship aspirations driving him, you're never going to see prime Herring again. But I thought this wasn't bad. If he goes back to regular training and full camps, I think he can still put on a couple more very respectable 'fun fights' for Rizin and/or Bellator.

it isnt

they judge the fight as a whole

commentators were seemingly unaware of this information, though.

They said more rounds after herring vs lesnar too

I just watched the fight again...you guys are right, amir won if the fight was judged as a whole...I tuned in late so I missed the rules if they were given...it was a head scratcher when round 3 never came about....

This is Heath Herring's first fight since 2008. Give the man some slack. The last time he fought, it was against pre-champion Brock Lesnar. Amir should have done exactly what he did in the first round throughout the fight. I'm surprised he didn't do more damage in the 2nd round.

Back