Americans please explain BLM to Europeans

There are multiple studies showing that the more meaningful correlation there is probably poverty. Most of the violent crime being committed is by people in poverty. Poverty raises the odds of every single negative outcome possible substantially. Mental illness, lower level of education, higher odds of being a repeat criminal, higher rates of teen pregnancy, etc.

Of course you guys don't ever want to talk about that. It messes with your argument that black people are innately violent savages. Even though, you know, black people raised in stable environments tend to be less likely to commit crime, the same as everyone else. No, for racists skin color is the only thing that matters. Fuck tons of statistics that clearly state otherwise. Lets just keep hating people based on the color of their skin instead of addressing the massive disparity in income and education

Can you provide sources for the claims? Not trying to discredit you; I'm legitimately interested in the seeing the studies/data.

No, don't give them an out. Just because you are poor does not exempt you from obeying the law. Some people are criminals regardless of race, gender, poor, rich, middle class, age, education....improving ghettos is a solutions but a myopic one at best...it would be better to eradicate hunger in the #1 country in the world, ensure all schools are safe and enable learning, provide adequate healthcare to all and make our streets safe in every city...strong emphasis on taking care of our children, elderly and infirm (both physically and mentally)....how? legalize pot and only imprison violent criminals...enforce STEM focused education into all school systems as well as "trades"...and while we're at it..term limits for politicians, abolish lobbying, reduce corporate greed, execute serious white collar criminals...

Herpa derp. Here comes the personal responsibility argument again. Look dude NOBODY IS SAYING that people aren't responsible for their actions. However the shittier your environment is, the higher the statistical chance is for you to have a shitty life. This is scientifically proven and not debatable. Poverty has a direct correlation to mental illness, crime, drug and alcohol abuse, higher rates of teen pregnancy, pretty much any and every negative outcome.

A lot of what you go on to propose IS dealing with the problem in the ghetto. If you remove the poverty and lack of education the crime rate will go down. People are committing crime because in their world they don't see a better option. There's a reason that there is a direct correlation between crime committed and income level. desperate people do desperate things. It's always been that way and it'l always be that way, it's human nature.

Can you provide sources for the claims? Not trying to discredit you; I'm legitimately interested in the seeing the studies/data.

I don't have most of the links anymore and digging this stuff up and reading through it is a pain. Here's a couple i found though.

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/19/the-poverty-crime-connection/

This article mentions the effects of the "war on drugs" on poor communities, how poverty creates a negative feedback loop because business don't want to invest in shitty neighborhoods etc.,how incarceration generally destroys all of a low income persons resources and stability, leading to repeat incarcerations.

http://irserver.ucd.ie/bitstream/handle/10197/523/kellym_article_pub_004.pdf?sequence=3

There are probably better source out there but both of these mention that it's the combination of poverty and racial inequality that creates problems. If you don't have racial or societal barriers to escaping poverty it's not as harmful generally speaking.

Edit: This also gives some information on the link between poverty and mental illness. Many mentally ill people end up shuffling their way through the prison system as well, since health care is pretty shitty in this country and was ludicrously unaffordable until recently.

http://www.fccmh.org/resources/docs/MentalIllnessandPovery.pdf

Last edited:
Its the social justice warrior mentality.

Large groups hype themselves up online, a tiny fraction acts on the hype in public with a camera. the rare event gets full video coverage and back as fuel in the hype machine.

The fact that their complaints aren't 100% unjustified .... justifies their existence. But imo the 'sjw' mentality is the problem not the solution.

Its the social justice warrior mentality.

Large groups hype themselves up online, a tiny fraction acts on the hype in public with a camera. the rare event gets full video coverage and back as fuel in the hype machine.

The fact that their complaints aren't 100% unjustified .... justifies their existence. But imo the 'sjw' mentality is the problem not the solution.

what's unfortunate is all these screaming idiots get involved in causes that actually matter and inadvertently discredit their own cause by proposing no solutions and just yelling at everybody.

lol
I wasn't aware that numbers are racist.
Like you don't know what your doing. You can't just throw numbers out there without trying to add any context whatsoever. correlation =/= causation. Yeah there are a lot of black people committing violent crimes, typically against other black people. You know what else they have in common? They're in poverty stricken shitty neighborhoods that have been slowly decaying for generations. That matters. Circumstances matter. You can't just say well a lot of black people are committing crimes, so all black people are violent savages. You take any group of people and put them in that environment and they're going to have issues.

You want that to change, you should be advocating for the improvement of these ghettos. they're not going to get better on their own, that's quite obvious at this point.

Europeans: Black Lives Matter is an organization of obnoxious, uppity brown people who have the audacity to publicly say that their lives matter. Don't worry, we'll find a way to shut them down. We've got a long and illustrious history of it.
I sure hope so

Like you don't know what your doing. You can't just throw numbers out there without trying to add any context whatsoever. correlation =/= causation. Yeah there are a lot of black people committing violent crimes, typically against other black people. You know what else they have in common? They're in poverty stricken shitty neighborhoods that have been slowly decaying for generations. That matters. Circumstances matter. You can't just say well a lot of black people are committing crimes, so all black people are violent savages. You take any group of people and put them in that environment and they're going to have issues.

You want that to change, you should be advocating for the improvement of these ghettos. they're not going to get better on their own, that's quite obvious at this point.
You're right, they have no responsibility whatsoever.

You're right, they have no responsibility whatsoever.
Ugh. People like you are so annoying. I've said over and over and over and over that personal responsibility is still a factor. So are circumstances though. You can say all you want that people should rise above any and all circumstances and do the right thing no matter what their environment is. Statistics have repeatedly shown that most people are not capable of doing that though. You don't want to have a conversation, you just want to drop in your weak little one liners and leave.

Your not interested in improvement, you're interested in having a group of people to hate. I know you're not dumb enough to really believe that a persons environment has no bearing on how their life turns out at all. That's why statistically speaking the better your environment and the more resources and support you have the better the outcome. Because people are completely equal no matter the adversity they encounter, or how negative the environment they're raised in. The entire study of psychology is complete fiction :rolleyes:

Ugh. People like you are so annoying. I've said over and over and over and over that personal responsibility is still a factor. So are circumstances though. You can say all you want that people should rise above any and all circumstances and do the right thing no matter what their environment is. Statistics have repeatedly shown that most people are not capable of doing that though. You don't want to have a conversation, you just want to drop in your weak little one liners and leave.

Your not interested in improvement, you're interested in having a group of people to hate. I know you're not dumb enough to really believe that a persons environment has no bearing on how their life turns out at all. That's why statistically speaking the better your environment and the more resources and support you have the better the outcome. Because people are completely equal no matter the adversity they encounter, or how negative the environment they're raised in. The entire study of psychology is complete fiction :rolleyes:
I was just giving you a taste of your own straw. ;)

I was just giving you a taste of your own straw. ;)
Oh look another one liner. Kind of ironic to accuse me of strawman when you don't even explain or back your poistion. You just drop a statistic and leave.

Let's try it this way, what do YOU think is the reason for the high rate of crime. Do you think it's purely that black people are savages, or do you think there are societal issues that come into play? Do you literally think the history of racism has NOTHING to do with the current situation?

So lots of threads are about BLM now. It looks like a pretty radical new movement, strongly fueled by social media and a reaction to percieved racism against black people. I was raised on the US and I visit regularely so I understand the American social dynamics regarding race.

Please answer the following questions for me, trying to stay objective and not inflammatory.

1) Is it really as diffuse as its "internet presence"? Apart from the internet do you encounter BLM regularely? Do black coworkers and friends feel strongly about it?

2)What exactly do they demand? I understand the typical buzzwords, " equality", "tolerance" etc, but technically what is it that they want changed?

1. No. No. Black coworkers think it's a bunch of bullsh*t because they only address white on black violence and Shaun king.
2. End of the white supremacy. (Free stuff). Attention basically. The founders keep getting nailed for embezzlement

Well the movement itself seems to be largely young, uneducated, pissed off people. I think of it a bit like being a teen that is finally grasping that they have shitty parents. They've realized things aren't always fair and equal, and the media is now agreeing with them about this. So they're trying to seize this momentum and do something with it but they're just a bunch of dumb kids. They have no idea how to make a coherent point, when to stop, or how to make a point rationally without getting angry and alienating people.

How you word things is important as what it is you're trying to say, and they have absolutely no tact. A lot of black people also grow up feeling as if their community is on its own, and everyone else has to look out for themselves. It makes them come off badly when they repeatedly make it clear they ONLY care about how things effect black people. It's hard to get people on your side when you're that selfish. I get that they feel like everyone else already has some sort of representation already, but you have to know how to play politics. They just want to scream about unfairness.
I actually think the leadership of BLM is fairly well educated and knows what they're doing. They're just blindly pushing CRT theories. It doesn't mean that some points don't have at least a little validity, but they're blinded by their overarching focus on "white supremacy." They may have some really good points and proposals, but their ideology and adherence to said ideology, along with their abrasive protesting tactics, turns people away from their entire message.

There was a Latino man who had the cops called on him after assaulting his wife. He had a knife in his hands. Someone filmed the incident from afar and showed him with his hands up in the air when a cop (or the cops) shot him and killed him. I don't know what was made of that investigation, but it looked to me a clear case of the police overstepping their boundaries and killing a suspect who didn't pose a threat at that specific point in time. But since he was not black, he couldn't be part of BLM. I railed about this in a thread right after this shooting happened. Because BLM has grown to mean only black lives matter when it comes to police brutality, what happened with this Latino man couldn't be used for a much greater point. That's what happens when you run a social movement based on exclusivity. If they were more inclusive and didn't act like inbred retards, their movement would have potential. As it is now, they've turned away almost everyone outside their group, even former supporters.

I actually think the leadership of BLM is fairly well educated and knows what they're doing. They're just blindly pushing CRT theories. It doesn't mean that some points don't have at least a little validity, but they're blinded by their sole focus on the black community. They may have some really good points and proposals, but their ideology and adherence to said ideology, along with their abrasive protesting tactics, turns people away from their entire message.

There was a Latino man who had the cops called on him after assaulting his wife. He had a knife in his hands. Someone filmed the incident from afar and showed him with his hands up in the air when a cop (or the cops) shot him and killed him. I don't know what was made of that investigation, but it looked to me a clear case of the police overstepping their boundaries and killing a suspect who didn't pose a threat at that specific point in time. But since he was not black, he couldn't be part of BLM. I railed about this in a thread right after this shooting happened. Because BLM has grown to mean only black lives matter when it comes to police brutality, what happened with this Latino man couldn't be used for a much greater point. That's what happens when you run a social movement based on exclusivity. If they were more inclusive and didn't act like inbred retards, their movement would have potential. As it is now, they've turned away almost everyone outside their group, even former supporters.

Well like I said earlier IMO it comes from that chip on their shoulder of feeling like black people are on their own so fuck everyone else. It's a prevalent attitude in a lot of the black community. I can understand why they feel that way, but it just stops them from gaining real ground. You can't be ridiculously selfish while asking others to care about YOUR problems that don'e effect them at all. It's just a weird and immature attitude to have. If anything minorities should be banding together to object to racism.

Blame Lives Matter is a racist organization seeing special treatment for black people due solely to their race. Its members are becoming increasingly violent.

Well like I said earlier IMO it comes from that chip on their shoulder of feeling like black people are on their own so fuck everyone else. It's a prevalent attitude in a lot of the black community. I can understand why they feel that way, but it just stops them from gaining real ground. You can't be ridiculously selfish while asking others to care about YOUR problems that don'e effect them at all. It's just a weird and immature attitude to have. If anything minorities should be banding together to object to racism.
I don't think we're in any real disagreement other than I think the leaders know what they're doing, and BLM would argue that their entire movement is everything you typed in your last sentence.

I don't think we're in any real disagreement other than I think the leaders know what they're doing, and BLM would argue that their entire movement is everything you typed in your last sentence.

Yeah our opinions are pretty close on this. I also don't know all that much about who's leading BLM so you could be right that they know what they're doing and it's part of the agenda. I definitely don't think the rank and files have any idea.

Yeah our opinions are pretty close on this. I also don't know all that much about who's leading BLM so you could be right that they know what they're doing and it's part of the agenda. I definitely don't think the rank and files have any idea.
Check out my first post in this thread (at least I think it's the first). IIRC, a cofounder of BLM is arguing that the first amendment hurts African Americans and needs to be reformed to a more European version of "free" speech. That's about as high up in the movement as it gets.

Check out my first post in this thread (at least I think it's the first). IIRC, a cofounder of BLM is arguing that the first amendment hurts African Americans and needs to be reformed to a more European version of "free" speech. That's about as high up in the movement as it gets.
Yeah that's insanity, the last thing we need is the neutered "don't hurt my feeling or I'll put you in jail" free speech of Europe. It's already drifted a little far in that direction for my liking.

Yeah that's insanity, the last thing we need is the neutered "don't hurt my feeling or I'll put you in jail" free speech of Europe. It's already drifted a little far in that direction for my liking.
Completely agreed. It's the bedrock of our American society as far as I'm concerned, something worth fighting for.

Back