Americana-keylock-ude garami lovers?

Oleg Raktatov

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So guys,

Anyone here gets regular success against decent grapplers with this lock or a variation?

I do get good results with some catch variations, but i must not be the only one?

I tend to find it with ease for some reason. I do love finding it from bottom side though.

Alternative thread title: any fat guys on sherdog?

Lol

No, TS, I don't. I seem to have an abnormal amount of success with kimuras especially considering that I'm not stocky or very strong for my weight, but tbh I never really look for the americana.

I threaten with it from mount sometimes, but it usually ends up being just to bait. Kimura is far superior, so I mostly go for that.

Yesterday I submitted one of our best purple belts who is ~20kg heavier with americana from side mount. I get more success with kimura from side/north, though.

Alternative thread title: any fat guys on sherdog?

Came here to post this, beaten to it.

Although the other classic fat guy attack, the papercutter choke from side control, is possibly my highest-percentage submission nowadays.

Guess this means (a) I'm fat and (b) I should take another look at the americana.

To be fair, i use a variation from mount that requires less strenght and is very powerful :

See this vid at 2:35 and follow up with technique at 2:45

http://youtu.be/RJ2qMmXg_uA

I also have other follow ups and variations

Just went far in the study of that techniques i guess, but its a tech that every black belt think they know but are generally inneficient with it.

Hence, me asking if other people here took time to study it a bit...

Americanas and straight arm locks from top half are two of my highest percentage submissions. People love to hate on Americanas for some reason but it's just as good a submission as any.

I've been having a lot of success with kpoz's kimura/armlock tips and some stuff josh Barnett showed I some vids, but applying them to Americanas

I've been having a lot of success with kpoz's kimura/armlock tips and some stuff josh Barnett showed I some vids, but applying them to Americanas

If you dont mind taking the time to share, i am interested.

Its the whole point of my thread: when you think you are good AT something, someone else is far ahead of you in that field.

I am looking for that someone

Thanks

If you dont mind taking the time to share, i am interested.

Its the whole point of my thread: when you think you are good AT something, someone else is far ahead of you in that field.

I am looking for that someone

Thanks

Josh has a YouTube vid series about hand control and using that + pressure to isolate the arm/tire your opponent out. Kpoz has a thread "who wants to snuggle?" That has him explain how he uses rotational force/pressure with his extending motion to lock up kimura/armlocks. His tip about having you elbow trap their elbow is gold. I'm on mobile so its kind of hard to do links right now

Also"revving the motor cycle grip" tightens up everything so the finish is a really small movement

Oh, sweet!

People love to hate on Americanas for some reason but it's just as good a submission as any.

I think two reasons.

It's a noob move. As basic and flair-less as it gets. So it's cool for upper belts to look down on such an inferior move.

And, I guess it's a fat guy move and people hate tapping to the fat guy. Lol.

I use it mostly to bait the guy to give me his opposite arm so I can get a gift wrap. Then it's smooth sailing to the back.

Back