American woman complains about dating in japan

Yuval Levy

Yuval Levy
@purple
Reaction score
http://www.vagabondish.com/female-foreign-japan/

We usually have a tough time keeping female teachers here,” my boss informed me on my first day of work as an English teacher in Tokyo. “They usually don’t last more than six months.” I looked up from studying the roster list of teachers (30 — all male), in surprise.

“You mean at this school?”

“No, I mean … in Japan.” He shrugged. “Tokyo’s a tough city to be single … If you’re, you know … a western woman.”

...... Far from it. Slim, medium-height, with hazel eyes and freckles, I was at best ‘cute’ and at worst, average. But I had something that the competition didn’t: long, naturally curly, blond hair. Furthermore, I was bilingual, well-traveled and college-educated.

But as I realized a few weeks into my stay in Japan, I was also mysteriously, frustratingly invisible.

Cute baristas at Starbucks wouldn’t look at me, business men on bicycles ran over me and college students hurriedly backed away from me with mumbled apologies whenever I tried to strike up a conversation about the weather or ask for directions. They wouldn’t even give me the time of day. Literally.

But as wide-spread as the problem seemed to be, it was one that many women avoided talking about. Understandably it was a tough subject to discuss without grossly overgeneralizing fifty percent of a country’s population or worse, sounding like a racist or a man-hating, snob.

The pervading theory though, among expats and Japanese alike, was that Japanese men were in fact attracted to western women but were just too intimidated to do anything about it. Western women in Asia were like the Jennifer Anistons of the expat world. Strong, independent, assertive and outspoken, they were interesting to admire from afar, but no man would ever dream of striking up a conversation with one. Western women were so different, so foreign, they were virtually un-datable.

Not true for their Y-chromosome-carrying expat buddies though. While the female expats spent Saturday nights alone, crying into their Ramen bowls, their male counterparts drank freely from the dating pool like they owned it. Which in a way, they did.

If you’ve ever visited Asia, you’ve likely seen the pale, rail-thin, greasy-haired white boy walking hand-in hand with a perfectly made-up, mini-skirt wearing Asian chick. This would never happen anywhere else in the world. Because everywhere else, Barbie ends up with Ken, not his underemployed, socially-awkward, samurai-sword-collecting neighbor, Kevin. But in Asia, dating rules defy all logic or evolutionary law. In Asia, the nerd is king.

Because the truth is that Tokyo’s a tough city to be single … if you’re, you know, a Western woman.

Last edited:
women dont know what the want, like this bitch here says nobody gives a fuck about her and the dudes dont even acknowledge she exists and she complains, but if all of the sudden a bunch of guys were trying to talk to her she would rage about harassment, she doesnt know why she does what she does

Bunch of whiny babble. Really deserves no sympathy from anybody.

I was in Thailand in the summer and there were at least five white girls that came on to me thirsty AF, but I was like, I didn't come all this way to do white chicks.

I dunno, looking at the article, she seems to be actively pursuing Japanese men, and failing miserably.

I skimmed through it but her problem seems to be self-entitlement and mistaking Japan for all of Asia. So much for her college education. She's also jealous of white dudes who are successful with local chicks. Attractive qualities no doubt.

I was in Thailand in the summer and there were at least five girls that came on to me thirsty AF, but I was like, I didn't come all this way to do white chicks.
I hope I have the same experience in Thailand. I'm not really into Thai girls.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Korean men find assertive Western feminists loathsome as well?

Nah Korean guys are thirsty for basically any white chick. Gives them bragging rights among their friends.

Nah Korean guys are thirsty for basically any white chick. Gives them bragging rights among their friends.

They seem to be focused on Turkish girls.

http://www.instagram.com/asyadaki_turkler

I've seen a good number of Korean dudes (some Japanese) here in Istanbul with the local women

Ugh. Of course. The fetishization of white women is prevalent amongst men there too.

The hell? I thought it was largely forbidden for Muslim women to date or marry non-Muslims?
Turkey is a secular country and one of the most liberal Muslim countries in the world. Peoeple, especially in the big cities aren't really that keen on living by the quran

Srsly. Most turkish guys dgaf. Some of the dudes even took the wives home to Korea.

She should hit up a local bukkake bar and drown her sorrows.

Turkey is a secular country and one of the most liberal Muslim countries in the world. Peoeple, especially in the big cities aren't really that keen on living by the quran

Srsly. Most turkish guys dgaf. Some of the dudes even took the wives home to Korea.

I had a feeling that it was probably the most secular nation out of all the Islamic countries, but I didn't know they didn't observe the religion to that extent. By the way, are you Jewish and living in Istanbul? You ever encounter anti-semitism in those parts?

Well, part of the story was the first white girl acted like she was completely offended and being sexually harassed b/c I made eye contact with her. I'm like we are in Pattaya. I can walk five feet and have sex with a girl hotter than her. I'm not playing that game. I was turned off by how stupid it was. There were at least five other girls th hat just smiled and tried to start stupid conversations but I was like "I am on vacation and don't want to deal with BS"

I had a feeling that it was probably the most secular nation out of all the Islamic countries, but I didn't know they didn't observe the religion to that extent. By the way, are you Jewish and living in Istanbul? You ever encounter anti-semitism in those parts?

Nope, never did.

Turks don't really hate Israel like its neighboring Arab states, although they have sympathies for Palestine

Not to mention Turkey gave women equal rights way before a lot of western countries did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back