American sniper. Hero or Murder? Just a movie or propaganda?

The part where he said it was fun to kill them was disturbing.

I know a guy who served (infantry) in Iraq who said the same thing. He's one of the nicest people I've ever know and doesn't have a criminal record but he told me that killing the enemy in was easy once you got to see for yourself what kind of slime you were killing and the kind of things they did to innocent people.

Good ol'Sherdog, where soldiers are murderers and cop killers are heroes.

It's hard to blame soldiers, who enter a system of corruption and lies, at a very young, impressionable age.

It's also possible that these terribly young and oh so stupid servicemen serve overseas and come back with a different opinion than you.

The notion that someone's a hero just because they served is laughable.

The guy didn't just serve, he earned a slew of medals and saved other SEALS and Marines on numerous occasions.

I'm guessing that dude Bukowski will say hero. Dude seems to straight up worships SEAL's as living gods.

Haven't seen it, but I can't imagine they'd give the material the Platoon treatment.
Pretty much has to be propaganda, intentional or not.

Haven't seen it, but I can't imagine they'd give the material the Platoon treatment.
Pretty much has to be propaganda, intentional or not.

yes, the upper hierarchy of the illuminati were sitting around their recently sacrificed human baby and decided that they would formulate a plan to further their agenda in the middle east. To do so, they needed the populace on board, so they called the jews in Hollywood and asked them to construct a movie that would brainwash the people into further worshipping the war machine they had built.

Or...

Hollywood found a compelling true life story that they could bank with.

But I'm sure you're right and it's all about dat der "propaganda".

yes, the upper hierarchy of the illuminati were sitting around their recently sacrificed human baby and decided that they would formulate a plan to further their agenda in the middle east. To do so, they needed the populace on board, so they called the jews in Hollywood and asked them to construct a movie that would brainwash the people into further worshipping the war machine they had built.

Or...

Hollywood found a compelling true life story that they could bank with.

But I'm sure you're right and it's all about dat der "propaganda".

Notice my use of the word "intentional"...

Yeah yeah. I hate every time a war movie comes out the goofs in this forum deem it "propaganda".

Why? Most movies have an agenda and make emotional appeals.
I mean Platoon is propaganda as well for that matter, just not jingoistic, pro-war propaganda.
There's plenty of that type though.
Pearl Harbour, Behind Enemy Lines, Blackhawk Down, Red Dawn... doesn't have to be war movies either. Look at Iron Man.

I mean Platoon is propaganda as well for that matter, just not jingoistic, pro-war propaganda.
Pearl Harbour, Behind Enemy Lines, Blackhawk Down, Red Dawn... doesn't have to be war movies either. Look at Iron Man.

Propaganda - information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

How do the movies you stated (including iron man) fit this definition? Sometimes a story is just a story. It doesn't have to hold some sort of deeper meaning or fit a specific agenda.

People throw the word propaganda around without knowing what it means.

Propaganda - information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

How do the movies you stated (including iron man) fit this definition? Sometimes a story is just a story. It doesn't have to hold some sort of deeper meaning or fit a specific agenda.

People throw the word propaganda around without knowing what it means.

Are you kidding?
You can't see how movies like Red Dawn and Black Hawk Down are flag waving, jingoistic, pro-war propaganda? That's about as blatant as it gets... nothing "deeper" about it.
Have you seen them?

He seems like someone who fell in love with the concept of glory through war. I've heard that he made up a bunch of lies about shooting looters after Katrina, knocking out Jesse Ventura, and otherwise doing things that people would see as "badass" and I think that this may be do to the fact that he felt he needed to present himself as a larger than life figure, he couldn't deal with being Chris Kyle the person so he had to be Chris Kyle the unstoppable macho badass killing machine.

Are you kidding?
You can't see how movies like Red Dawn and Black Hawk Down are flag waving, jingoistic, pro-war propaganda? That's about as blatant as it gets... nothing "deeper" about it.
Have you seen them?

Red Dawn perhaps, but not the rest you mentioned, especially not Iron Man.

Re-read the definition I posted. It doesn't apply. Here, I'll post it again.

For these movies to be considered propaganda, there has to be an intentional narrative that they are pushing. Is that what you are saying? That the movie studios aren't in fact all about the money, but instead are pushing a specific agenda?

No. Sometimes a story is just a story. They find something that they believe will sell and make it. There is no agenda.

I have always thought one would need to be a psychopath to be a sniper for a long period of time.

I can't see most people being able to live with killing like that over and over.

It might be distasteful but war is.

Man was doing his job, and it sounds like he was damn good at it.

Its hard to put the same amount of heroism on today's soldiers as those of the 1st and 2nd WW. See back then you were fightingfor a clear cause. War today is really more about politics.

Pearl Harbour felt more like a romantic drama. Didn't see BEL. Agreed that Red Dawn is a pro-war movie.

BHD is more complicated. The writers/producers/some actors felt and said it was an antiwar movie. Obviously the US military thought it was a good idea to subsidize the movie by lending helicopters and having actual soldiers in certain scenes which added alot of realism and they talked up alot about the valorous heroism and self sacrifice shown by the soldiers which was true. But the movie did not show was the backdrop of another failed heavy handed US intervention, so the 'antiwar' message is more muted.

Back