AMERICAN "PKA" kickboxing appreciation thread!!!

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
I LOVED American "PKA" kickboxing back in the day with its amazing arsenal of spinning and jumping kicks and it's heavy Reliance on American style boxing with lots of head movement plus the "Sugar Ray" style combos available when you don't have to worry about a knee coming up to clean your clock but that style died out thanks to one silly movie and that was probably best as its application in modern MMA would be a shadow of what real Muay Thai could offer

Sometimes I forget how lucky I was to grow up in Hawaii

The international mix of Asian races created a hotbed of martial arts that was widely available to the general public because of Hawaii's intelligent public infrastructure programs that allowed everybody equal access (reguardless of income) to martial arts through community centers/public parks and the relaxed mentalities in private homes (residential dojos)

I was in for a shock when we settled in Louisville Kentucky for my high school and college Years as the awesome diversity of martial arts available for free through the public parks department in Hawaii was long gone being replaced by the for-profit world of strip mall karate gyms and all kinds of Hokie ninja movie Grandmasters who wanted to train to push people's nose bone up into their brain...

LOL

luckily I was able to establish a small group of athletes in the Louisville area who wanted to train in kickboxing, judo, sambo and wrestling and right across the river in New Albany Indiana we had a fantastic gym that supported a couple champions

Unfortunately the drive was strenuous and expensive so I could only make it over there once a week but I brought back the lessons I learned from Hawaii and from the WKA super heavyweight champion who trained at the New Albany gym to my little Community Center program

we were able to participate in all kinds of martial arts and combat sports at the community center because of the massive amount of risk and sacrifice I made to keep my little Community Center kickboxing Program alive even though they tried numerous times to kick us out

I wasent an easy win for the parks department as I was well aware of our legal rights to stay and fought them tooth and nail for decades only finally losing the fight after I converted the club to MMA in 1993 and our television show became big enough that a higher level of community center risk management became aware of what we were doing at the Douglas Community Center in Louisville Kentucky and moved quickly to throw us out despite the fact that we had never had a serious injury in nearly 2 decades of operation

I had a long-term rewarding career working for the city of Louisville and the parks department approached my supervisors who conspired to fire me from my position if I were to try to continue our legal and perfectly correct usage of the community center for martial arts

I reluctantly packed up my gear and walked out after fighting for our rites as martial artists for nearly 2 decades knowing that my day job was more important than the effort I put into my martial arts program at the Douglass Community Center

Long story short This Thread is designed to throw some appreciation towards the old school above the waist American kickboxers that got replaced by the Thai style after that silly Jean-Claude movie popularized it

we had a great time back in the day...

American kickboxing you will be missed!!

Of course...
The international style of kickboxing was not something Americans could contend with because their unique Style kept them from developing skills like leg kicks and knees that turned out to be by far the most effective strategy for "stand-up" striking in martial arts

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/why-americans-cant-win-international-kickboxing.3967211/

man I love Rad Brad!!!
Awesome

I had a chance to personally interview Jerry Rome not long after he fought brad for the heavyweight title for my roommates website

I alwyas loved Jerry!!

Lots of American Full-contact champ were very dirty and were cheating all over the place against other Thai . Guys like Don Wilon , Benny "The Jet" , Sugarfoot , etc...
Of course there were allot of insanely great people ( some I've talked with ) as champion but these 3 guys were just absolutely trash can when it comes to their bitterness against other style . I wont go into details now but in the future I will .

I LOVED American "PKA" kickboxing back in the day with its amazing arsenal of spinning and jumping kicks and it's heavy Reliance on American style boxing with lots of head movement plus the "Sugar Ray" style combos available when you don't have to worry about a knee coming up to clean your clock but that style died out thanks to one silly movie and that was probably best as its application in modern MMA would be a shadow of what real Muay Thai could offer

Sometimes I forget how lucky I was to grow up in Hawaii

The international mix of Asian races created a hotbed of martial arts that was widely available to the general public because of Hawaii's intelligent public infrastructure programs that allowed everybody equal access (reguardless of income) to martial arts through community centers/public parks and the relaxed mentalities in private homes (residential dojos)

I was in for a shock when we settled in Louisville Kentucky for my high school and college Years as the awesome diversity of martial arts available for free through the public parks department in Hawaii was long gone being replaced by the for-profit world of strip mall karate gyms and all kinds of Hokie ninja movie Grandmasters who wanted to train to push people's nose bone up into their brain...

LOL

luckily I was able to establish a small group of athletes in the Louisville area who wanted to train in kickboxing, judo, sambo and wrestling and right across the river in New Albany Indiana we had a fantastic gym that supported a couple champions

Unfortunately the drive was strenuous and expensive so I could only make it over there once a week but I brought back the lessons I learned from Hawaii and from the WKA super heavyweight champion who trained at the New Albany gym to my little Community Center program

we were able to participate in all kinds of martial arts and combat sports at the community center because of the massive amount of risk and sacrifice I made to keep my little Community Center kickboxing Program alive even though they tried numerous times to kick us out

I wasent an easy win for the parks department as I was well aware of our legal rights to stay and fought them tooth and nail for decades only finally losing the fight after I converted the club to MMA in 1993 and our television show became big enough that a higher level of community center risk management became aware of what we were doing at the Douglas Community Center in Louisville Kentucky and moved quickly to throw us out despite the fact that we had never had a serious injury in nearly 2 decades of operation

I had a long-term rewarding career working for the city of Louisville and the parks department approached my supervisors who conspired to fire me from my position if I were to try to continue our legal and perfectly correct usage of the community center for martial arts

I reluctantly packed up my gear and walked out after fighting for our rites as martial artists for nearly 2 decades knowing that my day job was more important than the effort I put into my martial arts program at the Douglass Community Center

Long story short This Thread is designed to throw some appreciation towards the old school above the waist American kickboxers that got replaced by the Thai style after that silly Jean-Claude movie popularized it

we had a great time back in the day...

American kickboxing you will be missed!!

Of course...
The international style of kickboxing was not something Americans could contend with because their unique Style kept them from developing skills like leg kicks and knees that turned out to be by far the most effective strategy for "stand-up" striking in martial arts

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/why-americans-cant-win-international-kickboxing.3967211/

I love this style of Kickboxing not as popular as
it should have such a shame.

Lots of American Full-contact champ were very dirty and were cheating all over the place against other Thai . Guys like Don Wilon , Benny "The Jet" , Sugarfoot , etc...
Of course there were allot of insanely great people ( some I've talked with ) as champion but these 3 guys were just absolutely trash can when it comes to their bitterness against other style . I wont go into details now but in the future I will .

Come on man... everybody knows you had to kill a thai to win a thai judged about

Come on man... everybody knows you had to kill a thai to win a thai judged about

Are you blind ? Prayuth raped the so called Full-Contact GOAT Benny there and then .
Benny pussied out after seeing Pud Pad Noy kick the bag in front of him a thousand time .
Is that your idol .
I don't even have to talk much , just look at history .
Muay Thai is is most striking organization and Thai area easily the best stand up fighter on earth ... while Gay Full Conatct has sunk into nothingness .

I love this style of Kickboxing not as popular as
it should have such a shame.

there was a time... it was doing pretty good back in the 80s but really fell off after that aweful Jean-Claude movie

I guess it's for the best as above the waist kickboxing would have been god-awful in its MMA crossover

Even though we never got real Muay Thai we at least got the "anglicized" version

Not true, all it takes is you also headkick the thai's boss after ending the fight

Are you blind ? Prayuth raped the so called Full-Contact GOAT Benny there and then .
Benny pussied out after seeing Pud Pad Noy kick the bag in front of him a thousand time .
Is that your idol .
I don't even have to talk much , just look at history .
Muay Thai is is most striking organization and Thai area easily the best stand up fighter on earth ... while Gay Full Conatct has sunk into nothingness .

It's not really a fair comparison because full-contact was so much more restrictive than Thai boxing

that's like saying "cuz a Thai boxer can't beat an MMA guy in MMA Thai boxing sucks"

If you put any of those thais in the ring with Benny in full-contact he would have murdered them

there was a time... it was doing pretty good back in the 80s but really fell off after that aweful Jean-Claude movie

It fell off because the style is to weak to stand the test of time and competition .
The 80s guys were extremely thought , but then the American generation afterward weren't and so the style of fighting doesn't work against Thai , Dutch , Japanese , etc...
Look at Roufus Vs Changpeuk or any other U.S.A VS Thai fight at the time .
The Thai almost always dominated even when most of those fight they were limiting the Thai arsenal .
The American took a beating but still tried to fight back , the generation was tough .
But once you get weaker that style crumble .

Have not seen the full Benny fight video. But based on, the video above, he really took a beating.

It's not really a fair comparison because full-contact was so much more restrictive than Thai boxing

that's like saying "cuz a Thai boxer can't beat an MMA guy in MMA Thai boxing sucks"

If you put any of those Thais in the ring with Benny in full-contact he would have murdered them
Why would Thai limit themselves into an extremely restrictive arts ? They would just stay in Thailand if the other option was to go to America and abandon leg kick , elbow , clinch , throw , sweep , knee in succession , Muay Thai scoring , etc..
The fact that Thai are able to limit some of there attack and still beat the shit out of top tier American champion just proved how weak the art of America Full-Contact is .
Thai down give a shit about MMA . Rarely there guy like Somdej M-16 , Dejdamrong , Sittichai , Yodsanan , Yodwicha who might or have semi-competed in MMA for fun or money .
Still Muay Thai fighter has has WAYYYYY more success in MMA than any Full-Contact guy will ever have .

I was literally thinking of making this thread.

Someone shared that played out old video of Rick Roufus getting his legs smashed in by Changpuek and it rubs me up the wrong way because it tries to undermine how good those fighters actually were.

I was literally thinking of making this thread.

Someone shared that played out old video of Rick Roufus getting his legs smashed in by Changpuek and it rubs me up the wrong way because it tries to undermine how good those fighters actually were.

Yeah full contact got totally robbed

Then again they had no freaking idea what to do about those leg kicks

Why would Thai limit themselves into an extremely restrictive arts ? They would just stay in Thailand if the other option was to go to America and abandon leg kick , elbow , clinch , throw , sweep , knee in succession , Muay Thai scoring , etc..
The fact that Thai are able to limit some of there attack and still beat the shit out of top tier American champion just proved how weak the art of America Full-Contact is .
Thai down give a shit about MMA . Rarely there guy like Somdej M-16 , Dejdamrong , Sittichai , Yodsanan , Yodwicha who might or have semi-competed in MMA for fun or money .
Still Muay Thai fighter has has WAYYYYY more success in MMA than any Full-Contact guy will ever have .

Dude they sell boys to the kickboxing gym in Thailand and you're asking why those kids wouldn't want to come to America and be a kickboxing champion?

For a lot of young Thai Street boys their only option is Muay Thai or the whorehouse... and they ain't doing the laundry there!!

It fell off because the style is to weak to stand the test of time and competition .
The 80s guys were extremely thought , but then the American generation afterward weren't and so the style of fighting doesn't work against Thai , Dutch , Japanese , etc...
Look at Roufus Vs Changpeuk or any other U.S.A VS Thai fight at the time .
The Thai almost always dominated even when most of those fight they were limiting the Thai arsenal .
The American took a beating but still tried to fight back , the generation was tough .
But once you get weaker that style crumble .

It's got nothing to do with the style

it's got everything to do with its popularity

The fact that Americans invented their own style of kickboxing and thus couldn't compete internationally and that stupid movie is the reason why full contact went the way of the dinosaur

Boxers couldent beat Thai boxers in Thai boxing and IT didn't fall off

is boxing weak?

I bet the average Stadium Champion would murder Floyd Mayweather 9 out of 10 times in Thai boxing

And Tank Abbott could probably beat Coban in MMA

Dude they sell boys to the kickboxing gym in Thailand and you're asking why those kids wouldn't want to come to America and be a kickboxing champion?

For a lot of young Thai Street boys their only option is Muay Thai or the whorehouse... and they ain't doing the laundry there!!
Alright dude how about you come to Ayuthaya right now , i'll gladly break your leg and those of your gay friend too .
Wanna see you say anything about whorehouse in my face .

American Full-Contact champion were a bunch of moving sand bag for Thai that is a facts , you can Google a trillions fight from that Era and you'll see that no one give truly respected American striker .
Joker who got kicked around the ring like amateurs .
Funny you mentioned whore , American full-contact were whore when they got int other ring with Thai fighter .
Thai just clinch raped them and they couldn't do anything at all .

It's got nothing to do with the style

it's got everything to do with its popularity

The fact that Americans invented their own style of kickboxing and thus couldn't compete internationally and that stupid movie is the reason why full contact went the way of the dinosaur

Boxers couldent beat Thai boxers in Thai boxing and IT didn't fall off

is boxing weak?

I bet the average Stadium Champion would murder Floyd Mayweather 9 out of 10 times in Thai boxing

And Tank Abbott could probably beat Coban in MMA

Yes Boxing is very weak compared to most top style of Striking .
Kentucky go make some chicken or another Ali .
Leave the stand up world alone you guys are joke , bunch of gay American in long pants .
Go training your joke art for years , you'll still lose to any Thai kid who trained in Muay Thai for 3 months hahahah !

Back