American military reduced 25% under Obama?

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
I have a hard time believing the cuts were that stark. I also am not sure whether that has anything to do with the sequester.

Either way, it's a positive trend.

The only reason it appears defense spending has declined is because of how much spending escalated Obama's first two years in office. Military spending now is at 2007-2008 GW Bush levels and is projected to again escalate in the coming years for a number of reasons.

Heritage BS or not, the chart is correct. http://www.heritage.org/~/media/images/reports/2010/b2418_chart1_1/b2418_chart1_2.ashx

I love the 1000 bases nonsense

Do you people actually understand what a base is?

I love the 1000 bases nonsense

Do you people actually understand what a base is?

Places we have no right being in anymore like Germany and Japan as well as pissing off the Muslims by being in Saudi Arabia

Places we have no right being in anymore like Germany and Japan as well as pissing off the Muslims by being in Saudi Arabia

Go back to eating the paste young man, no need for more trite nonsense

Lulz at Muslims not being offended about something though

Sigh. For some reason, your post isn't quoting, but it's typically retarded.

We're talking about the decline in the military budget. That's what that headline 25% decline is about. Other military-related items on the budget aren't part of that (and aren't declining anyway).

In the last paragraph, you added pensions and VA spending to salaries *but not to the total budget*. So you're taking separate items, adding them to a portion of the defense budget and then dividing. That's bad math. Imagine if veteran's benefits (healthcare and pensions) were more than $600B. Your method would say that they're more than 100% of the defense budget. :)

They're part of the same budget, Jack. No matter how often you deny it, it doesn't make it less true.

They're part of the same budget, Jack. No matter how often you deny it, it doesn't make it less true.

They aren't. The budget figure I cited does not include VA and pensions. If you look up the defense budget for the year, it won't include those things.

They aren't. The budget figure I cited does not include VA and pensions. If you look up the defense budget for the year, it won't include those things.

That's because pensions are mandatory. Salaries are discretionary. You've been exclusively citing the discretionary and ignoring the mandatory within the same budget.

Pretty much this right here.

Closing down the nearly 1,000 bases throughout the world would also be a good place to make cuts.

well i'm for that, but i think this would require our European allies to grow some balls and start paying for stuff themselves instead of crying when we leave.

That's because pensions are mandatory. Salaries are discretionary. You've been exclusively citing the discretionary and ignoring the mandatory within the same budget.

So at least you're finally admitting that you've been getting it wrong. So when people are talking about the 25% decline in military spending, it has nothing to do with pensions (which haven't fallen anyway).

So at least you're finally admitting that you've been getting it wrong. So when people are talking about the 25% decline in military spending, it has nothing to do with pensions (which haven't fallen anyway).

I'm not admitting anything. You seem to be confused. Those aren't two separate budgets. They're two parts of the same budget. The sooner you wrap your mind around that, the better.

it has nothing to do with pensions (which haven't fallen anyway).

Again, did you miss the part where I said I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps? I know of plenty of people whose pensions have been cut. I know plenty of people, both Army and Marines, who have had their compensation benefits cut. You can continue to throw your hands over your ears and deny it, but it isn't true.

Wow Jack

It was 25% decline in personell

You keep moving the goalposts on him

And if salaries are getting cut, which you admitted they are, that means that pensions are too since they are tied to salary

Wow Jack

And if salaries are getting cut, which you admitted they are, that means that pensions are too since they are tied to salary

Moving the goal posts is pretty much par for the course with Jack.

Wow Jack

I noted that the military budget has declined by roughly 25% since 2010. And no, salaries aren't getting cut. You asked a theoretical question. If, theoretically, raises were lower than inflation, that would be a cut. But that's not what happened.

I noted that the military budget has declined by roughly 25% since 2010. And no, salaries aren't getting cut. You asked a theoretical question. If, theoretically, raises were lower than inflation, that would be a cut. But that's not what happened.

No Jack you thought the OP was about the budget, it wasn't, your first fuck up.

Raises are lower than inflation, I asked theoretically because you would never answer truthfully because you are a shill.

No Jack you thought the OP was about the budget, it wasn't, your first fuck up.

Raises are lower than inflation, I asked theoretically because you would never answer truthfully because you are a shill.

Oh, lovely. Here I thought I was talking to a regular person capable of having an adult discussion...

1986bllvwy2tqgif.gif

well before obama, there was a pretty famous statistic that claimed the US spent 6 times more on the military than the 2nd place country in military spending.

id say we're still fine. but...saying youre going to strengthen the military always pushes your votes, even among alleged "conservatives."

When all else fails, resort to a stupid gif from a leftist shill site for a shill

More like, "when all else fails, throw out a lame personal attack against the guy who was trying to inform you." Seriously, man, what's your deal? Why bring in that kind of disrespect and irrationality into what had been a civil discussion? It does make you look like a retard.

Back