American Kickboxing vs Muay Thai roundhouse kick

Hairrow

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I am curious as to whether these two styles differ in terms of arm/hand position during a roundhouse kick.

I've been taught to whip my arm in an opposite direction of my leg which makes as it generates more power. Some are telling me to keep both of my hands up by my face in case of a counter, or at the very least to extend it forward, but to keep it up. This feels very awkward and watching most Muay Thai and MMA kicks I see that fighters most often whip their arm, dropping it low.

Is there a correct technique when it comes to the same-side arm when doing a roundhouse kick? Is this a matter of different styles? The guy telling me to keep the arm up competed in kickboxing back in the day.

Last edited:
Personally, I tend to push one arm down when I kick to generate more power. It really goes without saying to keep your other hand up for defense. Be careful though as you can run into trouble if you let your dropped hand linger in a low position for too long. I have sparred with people who like to counter me on the same side that my hand is dropped. Just my $.02

I doubt that since this match is based around Roufus' skills when he could have just easily been destroyed in a Thai clinch.

I doubt that since this match is based around Roufus' skills when he could have just easily been destroyed in a Thai clinch.

There would be no leg kicks if it was based around Roufus skill. Rick had the Thai dead on his feet and the corner began spilling water into the ring to stall for time. There are better fights to show, really.

Besides, Rick did MMA. Dude could dump the Thai and GnP him, but that's against the rules.

There would be no leg kicks if it was based around Roufus skill. Rick had the Thai dead on his feet and the corner began spilling water into the ring to stall for time. There are better fights to show, really.

Besides, Rick did MMA. Dude could dump the Thai and GnP him, but that's against the rules.

Rick Roufus at that time didn't even know what MMA was when Changpuek destroyed him. You must be smoking something really good. :icon_chee

If you have someone who can teach you both kicks you should just try to do both kicks. With a little time you will be able to hybridize them for speed vs. power, reach vs. power, retraction vs. follow through for comboing, feel, and trickery.

I think the idea that the Thai's began spilling water in to the ring to stall for time is a myth.

You just have to watch a few fights from Thailand to see that they do that all the time, its the culture. They even have a large dish they use to catch the water.

I really doubt that anybody told them before the fight they couldn't do it.

wasnt that fight in 1988? unless Roufus was fighting in Brazil doing Vale Tudo fights or something, im not sure he would have had any ground skills at that time.

never knew Rick R. did MMA...i remember him from K-1 like 10 or 15 years ago. his first fight was in Strikeforce in 2008 so im not sure he would have taken Changpuek down and GnP'd him.

Back