American History X vs. A History of Violence vs. True Romance

StewDogg11

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Picked these three up in a collection today. Thought it was strange they were packaged together but thought hey I love all all three films and don’t own any of them so why not. Where do y’all rank the three?

m24704453368_1.jpg

Last edited:
Never seen True Romance.

I see in the other 2 the movie involves someone who wants to move on in life and get away from the past

Is true Romance like that?

Never seen True Romance.

I see in the other 2 the movie involves someone who wants to move on in life and get away from the past

Is true Romance like that?

Sweet find mate. Do you also like Eastern Promises?

That's a very good Triple Feature!

Sweet find mate. Do you also like Eastern Promises?
first time i watched that flick i was pretty blasted. loved it and was going on and on about how it was a hardcore russian mob movie etc.. then i sat down to rewatch it, and was like wtf this is all in england???

still a great movie

True Romance is one of the hidden gems of the 90's. The cast is unreal, the performances are both fantastic & superb, Patricia Arquette is like the cherry on the cake in more ways than one and the plot is just a lot of fun. Directed by Tony Scott and screenplay by Quentin Tarantino.

I have found so many who have never seen it and I couldn't give a higher recommendation.

Dennis Hopper & Christopher Walken, thank me later

A history of Violence was great until towards the end where it jumped the shark.

This scene alone sets True Romance apart.

first time i watched that flick i was pretty blasted. loved it and was going on and on about how it was a hardcore russian mob movie etc.. then i sat down to rewatch it, and was like wtf this is all in england???

still a great movie

Haha Viggo is awesome in it. The naked fight scene was ridiculous. I guess it was like little Russia of England haha

Which one did a young Marisa Tomei show her tits in? I know it was edited out via cropping then put back in widescreen maybe.

American History X
True Romance
A History of Violence

For those that don't know, Tarantino wrote True Romance.

For me it’s:

1. True Romance
2. A History of Violence
3. American History X
you are correct.

The first two are fantastic. AHX is actually pretty stupid if one rewatches it as a mangrown.

American History X. It’s real. Usually people who make films on this subject make the controversial characters complete clowns with straw man views that nobody could even believe, because they really don’t know anybody like that. It lets everybody off the hook. Like the marauding KKK guys in Django is usually what Hollywood gives you on this subject and it’s easy for people to laugh at this. Nobody is laughing when Derek rants before they raid the supermarket and it probably makes a lot of people uncomfortable in a constructive way. Roger Ebert noted the importance Of writing characters like that as real people. Not in Regards to American History X but perhaps one of the neo-nazi characters in Higher Learning that he thought was well written,

True Romance is excellent and obviously true to a Tarantino screenplay unlike Natural Born Killers. Though the main score for the film doesn’t fit at all and there is some tacky Tony Scott stuff...not that Tony Scott wasnt awesome

True Romance is far away the best and American History X for as fun as it is, is still an after school special.

Back