American Handegg players at UW turn to MMA for increased effectiveness

I'd say they are equally tough; rugby players obviously don't hit each other as hard because they'd probably die without pads :icon_lol:

Football in American wasn't always played with pads. Pads were instituted to make the game safer due the many deaths at the collegiate level. The game was going to be banned in the US without them. It how football has always been played.

they would never use the helmets as a weapon......

tumblr_myosiuAzQn1qhkbk8o1_400.gif

murray-blasts-dl-12292013.gif

Best-NFL-Week-7-GIFs-Bears-DB-Hits-Teammate-Chris-Conte-in-Helmet-Vs.-Redskins.gif

What's frustrating is the number of times I've seen clean hits get called for penalties under the more recent rules against "helmet to helmet" hits. I understand the desire to reduce head trauma but shoulder to head hits shouldn't be penalized.

It's easier to do a spectacular catch like that than it is to do that with a ball from 35 yards out, getting past defenders and one of the best goalkeeper in the world at the time. I'm not saying that US Football doesn't require skill to play, but the skill needed to play football professionally is a whole different thing entirely.

No, it's not. You say "getting past defenders?" Beckham Jr. was fouled on the play by the corner covering him, pass interference, hence the yellow flag flying. The guy was falling backwards, got knocked off-balance and fouled, caught the ball with 3 fingers with his body bent impossibly backwards, and managed to aim the direction of his fall inbounds and inside the pylon. That ball wasn't a friendly 5-yard lob pass, either.

"A whole different thing entirely" is right for pro ballplayers, as they all have individual position coaches that have 100 years of honed research and training methods, with absolute SHITLOADS of money available for training, development, and teaching. Every position in the NFL is a specialized skill position. Stop pretending that elite soccer players are superior to elite NFL players. Saying it's about the same is fair, but being kind to soccer. NFL players have to be explosive as bombs, as well as highly skilled technically at their position. Full-power technicians, every 30 seconds or so. Stop hating, you look stupid as fuck, being so emotionally attached.

For the love of God somebody please figure out where that boobie gif is from.

No, it's not. You say "getting past defenders?" Beckham Jr. was fouled on the play by the corner covering him, pass interference, hence the yellow flag flying. The guy was falling backwards, got knocked off-balance and fouled, caught the ball with 3 fingers with his body bent impossibly backwards, and managed to aim the direction of his fall inbounds and inside the pylon. That ball wasn't a friendly 5-yard lob pass, either.

"A whole different thing entirely" is right for pro ballplayers, as they all have individual position coaches that have 100 years of honed research and training methods, with absolute SHITLOADS of money available for training, development, and teaching. Every position in the NFL is a specialized skill position. Stop pretending that elite soccer players are superior to elite NFL players. Saying it's about the same is fair, but being kind to soccer. NFL players have to be explosive as bombs, as well as highly skilled technically at their position. Full-power technicians, every 30 seconds or so. Stop hating, you look stupid as fuck, being so emotionally attached.

HA! The irony. No, football is a much more skillfull sport, and if you're not good at it before you get to around age 10 you'll never make it... US football is more about physicality and bursts, I don't know why you're taking that so personally.

giphy.gif

Yep, nothing but athleticism and speed.

One gif doesn't change the fact that you constantly hear stories about guys that never played football untill late teens and became NFL pros.

Meanwhile, every football (soccer) player to make it at the top level has to be playing since he was 4 or 5.. waaay deeper technical/skill level ..

You know why I love A-level athlete threads so much?

The butthurt of the Euro and Brazilian fans. Their tears make it all worthwhile. It brings me endless joy watching their feeble attempts to dismiss the superiority of american football.

You know why I love A-level athlete threads so much?

The butthurt of the Euro and Brazilian fans. Their tears make it all worthwhile. It brings me endless joy watching their feeble attempts to dismiss the superiority of american football.

Nobody is butthurt, because no one watches american sports, but americans. Meanwhile our sports are watched by billions. Woops..

So why do the Cowboys sell out Wembley?

Euro soccer teams sell out american stadiums all the time

World cup watched by mass crowds in USA, in rest of world no one care about NFL finals, maybe watched in pubs by some afficionados

One gif doesn't change the fact that you constantly hear stories about guys that never played football untill late teens and became NFL pros.

Meanwhile, every football (soccer) player to make it at the top level has to be playing since he was 4 or 5.. waaay deeper technical/skill level ..

You physically can't play handegg from age 4 or 5. You will be crippled by the time you are 18. It is too brutal. A good friend of mine played in the NFL for over a decade. He isn't even 40 and his body is like a 70 year old man. He has chronic pain, early onset dementia and loss of fine motor skills in his hands. Many of his friends from the NFL are suffering the same thing. He is absolutely against anybody playing football before puberty. He thinks that the cause of most of his physical disabilities came from the damage he took playing full contact at a young age while his nervous system was still developing rather than the abuse he took in the NFL.

Euro soccer teams sell out american stadiums all the time

World cup watched by mass crowds in USA, in rest of world no one care about NFL finals, maybe watched in pubs by some afficionados

There is a rather large and growing contingent of Americans who enjoy soccer. I myself have Dallas FC to follow. This sport vs sport shit is weak, and I've been hearing about it ever since I played youth soccer and football in the same year for the first time. Like boxing fans who hate MMA, baseball fans who hate cricket, like much of the world outside of Canada that LOLseizures at curling. I can appreciate any kind of competition and the skill it takes. I'm not the one missing out, it's the entrenched on the opposite sides, drawing battle lines and heaving flaming bags of shit.

You physically can't play handegg from age 4 or 5. You will be crippled by the time you are 18. It is too brutal. A good friend of mine played in the NFL for over a decade. He isn't even 40 and his body is like a 70 year old man. He has chronic pain, early onset dementia and loss of fine motor skills in his hands. Many of his friends from the NFL are suffering the same thing. He is absolutely against anybody playing football before puberty. He thinks that the cause of most of his physical disabilities came from the damage he took playing full contact at a young age while his nervous system was still developing rather than the abuse he took in the NFL.

"Handegg" again. See my previous post regarding that term. As for the rest of it, derp. Youth leagues have different rules about contact nowadays, and there are thousands of flag football leagues as well. 13 is when we started being strong enough to lay real hits, but there are years of skills development beforehand.

Texas is the king of football states, nobody is close. It's as hardy and strong and deep-rooted in families and communities here as any FC in Europe. You don't know anything really about the subject.

handegg. we used to call it "women's rugby, because they wear pads". handegg is probably less offensive.

The pads and helmets were a compromise to save the sport as too many people were dying. Now, the helmets and pads allow for guys to just sustain brain damage without suffering crushed skulls. The face masks are a plus though, as we can stay handsome and not look like rugby players.:wink:

"Handegg" again. See my previous post regarding that term. As for the rest of it, derp. Youth leagues have different rules about contact nowadays, and there are thousands of flag football leagues as well. 13 is when we started being strong enough to lay real hits, but there are years of skills development beforehand.

Texas is the king of football states, nobody is close. It's as hardy and strong and deep-rooted in families and communities here as any FC in Europe. You don't know anything really about the subject.

what the hell, you totally missed the point of my comment. I was responding to the guy who was saying that football doesn't take skill because you can start it later in life and still make it to the NFL, while soccer requires starting at age 4 and is therefore a much more demanding, skillwise. I was explaining to that guy that football is a much more physically demanding sport than soccer and you therefore just can't do it from that early of an age. You just wear out, just like little league world series pitchers never make it to the major leagues because their arms are shots by the end of high school from throwing curveballs for 8 years while their arms were developing. Football isn't sipping tea.

And if you want to belittle the suffering of my friend who was in the NFL, just go screw yourself. You should look into all of the NFL players that are trying to stop youth football and all of the disabilities these guys have pre-age-40.

There is a rather large and growing contingent of Americans who enjoy soccer. I myself have Dallas FC to follow. This sport vs sport shit is weak, and I've been hearing about it ever since I played youth soccer and football in the same year for the first time. Like boxing fans who hate MMA, baseball fans who hate cricket, like much of the world outside of Canada that LOLseizures at curling. I can appreciate any kind of competition and the skill it takes. I'm not the one missing out, it's the entrenched on the opposite sides, drawing battle lines and heaving flaming bags of shit.

It only started because some guy here started going "Murrica".. I like NFL and football, but its not crazy to say football is more technical and NFL is more about athleticism..

baseball sucks though :p

Nobody is butthurt, because no one watches american sports, but americans. Meanwhile our sports are watched by billions. Woops..

so why does the nfl stomp the english premier league in money?

Back