'American Dirt' book tour canceled because of safety concerns

Like I said in my prior post It seems like a hot news story that every news outlet seems to be reporting on, so I thought I would share it.
“A hot news story”

thanks for sharing but the only people seeming to give a single fuck are right wing perennial victims who are on the hunt for the next thing to trigger them

Next!

Like I said in my prior post It seems like a hot news story that every news outlet seems to be reporting on, so I thought I would share it.

I get it. I understand why you would fall for it. I once did as well.

I just hope that now that it has been pointed out to you that this is what is going on, that you would question if what you are looking at is manufactured controversy meant to be guerilla marketing.

“A hot news story”

thanks for sharing but the only people seeming to give a single fuck are right wing perennial victims who are on the hunt for the next thing to trigger them

Next!

All of the places reporting on it are left leaning sources. Look at the links I provided.

Sounds like fake news to pickup traction for a book no ones ever heard of. Thanks for sharing.

It's actually one of the most anticipated books of the year, and it had gotten huge traction before there was any controversy. Hard to say what to make of the criticism without reading it, but it sounds like bullshit to me.

The author is a white lady of Puerto Rican decent, but this shouldn't matter, because in the United States anybody should be allowed to publish stories that have fictional characters from a different race.

Exactly.

Last edited:
lol at anyone here reading a book
<LatsRickStory>

What other choice do I have?

Netflix releases one show a month worth watching, and regular TV where you watch commercials is for poor people, and it is shit anyways.

I've read over 1000 books, n00b.
dating back to 79 whilst at CAL.
the classics, my senior thesis was on Shakespeare, Milton, Chaucer, etc.
20th century novel: Faulkner, Hemingway, etc.
since then some favorite biographies: Being Nixon, Churchill, the last Lion, Israeli leader books (Moshe Dayan), etc
and on and on.
I'm old as fuck, imagine the time I've had.
this doesn't make me smarter or imbue my opinion with intrinsic wisdom.
it just means I've had an inordinate amount of time to spend reading books.
cheers.

Last edited:
This is such a non-event, except as a marketing tool. Book tours get cancelled all of the time and controversial writers get threats all of the time.

Yet controversial writers who get threats don't always cancel their book tours and book tours that get cancelled don't broadcast that they're cancelling the book tour with a press release from the president of the publishing house. Outrage marketing.

It would be firmly in the "meh" category, except there will always be morons who will think that this represents some new assault on their right to free speech....while the book remains firmly in print.

I've read over 1000 books, n00b.
dating back to 79 whilst at CAL.
the classics, my senior thesis was on Shakespeare, Milton, Chaucer, etc.
20th century novel: Faulkner, Hemingway, etc.
since then some favorite biographies: Being Nixon, Churchill, the last Lion, Israeli leader books (Moshe Dayan), etc
and on and on.
I'm old as fuck, imagine the time I've had.
this doesn't make me smarter or imbue my opinion with intrinsic wisdom.
it just means I've had an inordinate amount of time to spend reading books.
cheers.

I respect that, but I've also read over 1,000 books, and I have my own favorites and stories. *I'm* not claiming to have read more books than *you've* heard of.

I get it. I understand why you would fall for it. I once did as well.

I just hope that now that it has been pointed out to you that this is what is going on, that you would question if what you are looking at is manufactured controversy meant to be guerilla marketing.

So do you think all of these news sites (Vox, AP, PBS, NBC, ABC, Axios, NPR, Buzz Feed, New York Times) that are reporting it are in on it some how? Also giving today's current climate it is not unreasonable that the author of this book received threats.

I can understand how the publisher could use this to their advantage as all of this attention is just free advertising, but do you think the whole thing is a full fabrication, or maybe an embellishment of what happened in order help boost book sales.

So do you think all of these news sites (Vox, AP, PBS, NBC, ABC, Axios, NPR, Buzz Feed, New York Times) that are reporting it are in on it some how? Also giving today's current climate it is not unreasonable that the author of this book received threats.

I can understand how the publisher could use this to their advantage as all of this attention is just free advertising, but do you think the whole thing is a full fabrication, or maybe an embellishment of what happened in order help boost book sales.
Yes

They're all competing for the same clicks

Or should I say

Working together to collect the same clicks*

List all the books you've read.
hm, that would be a time consuming effort
the following list is just an approximation of what I read while an under graduate at CAL
www.listchallenges.com › english-student-book-challengeEnglish Student Book Challenge - List Challenges

there were hundreds more, obviously.
the last time I donated books to the local library, I loaded them all into the back of my pickup.
it was over 600 books, some first editions.
I kept a signed copy of The Pentagon Papers by Daniel Ellsberg and some other
first editions but is was a windfall for the library for an upcoming book sale.

It's actually one of the most anticipated books of the year, and it had gotten huge traction before there was any controversy. Hard to say what to make of the criticism without reading it, but it sounds like bullshit to me.

Exactly.
Saw them talking about the book on "The Breakfast Club" yesterday and one of the things I remember about the criticism on the book was stereotypes and this woman not making the book authentic like making mistakes such as calling her mother "Abuella" which means grandmother in Spanish. lol

I think that all of these publications literally sell news coverage, and you can see it when they review McDonald's new sandwich, or the new Chevy Truck.

That years ago when they first started this, there was backlash against it, and they started putting sponsored on those stories, and since then have been finding new and creative ways to sell advertising as news, without the sponsored disclaimer.

Not_Without_My_Daughter__front.jpg
Great movie based on an autobiography.

images

Back