American cultural obsession with a fighters physique and figure over actual combat effectiveness

The GOAT HW (open weight class)View attachment 731113 looked like this.
H]
One of things that pisses me off the most.
This is a combat sport, not a modelling contest and figure admiring competition.

I get tired of the amount of threads I see, 'Fedor is a middleweight or fat welterweight'
'So and so needs to cut weight'

(Also many threads about Rogans body but a separate topic)

I remember Chuck used to get criticised for ''not looking like a fighter' when he was lhw champion!

As though because he didn't look like a body builder something was wrong.
The pressure drove tubby Josh Barnett to roid to avoid ridicule for his build when it was totally unnecessary for his fighting performance.

If you are man enough to fight and win at an upper weight, you don't need to cut weight and fight smaller guys to please some ideal of having a slimmed down good looking physique.

The GOAT HW (open weight class)View attachment 731113 looked like this.

That's right, perfect fighting build including some fat for fuel and more weight for power and padding to absorb shots.
Looks like a big sized regular guy with a belly because this is fighting not modelling.

Honorary mentions among many others:
View attachment 731133
View attachment 731119

Schwarzenegger-volume.jpg

I'll take peak Arnold and no martial arts over mesomorph Fedor. Perception is reality and he looks awesome.

Have you watched the nba and nfl? The announcers say stuff like “these are the most athletic men alive” all the time.

I haven't watched the NBA lately, but I wouldn't be surprised they said that to promote their athletes.

With that said, my point was that the heroes and action figures in cartoons and comic books get into people's mind at a much younger age, and for that reason, I believe those have a huge impact on people's image of what a good fighter looks like.

Another reason is that, if we think about it, the heroes in cartoons and comic books are often portrayed as fighters, whereas NBA and NFL players are portrayed as athletes. So between the two, it makes more sense to me that the comic books have a much earlier and bigger impact in shaping the image of what a "great fighter" would look like to the average person. Now, this is not to say that the NBA and NFL don't have an influence on how people view what a good fighter should look like.

I'll take peak Arnold and no martial arts over mesomorph Fedor. Perception is reality and he looks awesome.
Honestly I think most regular dudes have this mindset and I think that's perfectly fine. Who the fuck would choose getting his brains bashed in, being a better fighter but looking like a flabby fuck versus being built like a Greek statue and have people actually thinking your invincible because you look the part?

As for the OP there is some truth to what you're saying but there's levels to it. Most bodybuilder types don't do well (shamrock in the early days and ubereem being the obvious exceptions to me) but there is something to be said to being in top shape - which often results in one LOOKING the part as well - considering the physical advantages it brings. You're not going to tell me that Fedor would be worse off in the athletic department if he retained all his skills and was built like Randleman.

It reflects discipline, lucky genetics, or steroids.

it comes off strong. It’s been that way for hundreds/thousands of years, minus the steroids..

Ken was basically a bodybuilder and got his breaks in Pancrase and UFC primarily due to his 'look'. Yes he was also tuff as nailz but he was chosen as a poster boy to appeal to the prodominant american male demographic based on his appearance.

Ken Shamrock beat some of the toughest fighters back in the days, such as Bas Rutten (twice), Dan Severn, Kimo Leopodo (who destroyed Sakuraba), Patrick Smith, etc. and fought to a draw with Royce Gracie back when Royce was destroying everyone left and right.

Shockrock had legit submission wrestling back in the days.

Seems like a weird thing to get upset about no?

Back