Crime American busted smuggling handguns into Ontario.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Wet Blanket, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

Sure, many people like the aesthetic component. Me included. The only training I'm interested in is getting my ass out to the range. There's a good thread in the weapons & tactics forum about how useless tactical training is. I could spend my time and money acquiring skills I plan to never use or I could have some sweet guns with resale value when the time comes to part with them.

2. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

Like I said before, you can buy them for whatever reason you want as long as you're safe. I used to go to the range with my grandfather all the time and the old folks would bring all their toys for me to test out for them. Their eyes sucked, and they couldn't hit anything anymore, so they'd bring all these cool guns and have me see what they were capable of. They did not own those guns as tools, they just liked them. It was fun, a hobby.

Hell, my grandfather is 82 and not in great health. He'll probably never shoot a gun again. But he did just buy a Kimber 1911. Why? He just always wanted one. He's not even going to fire it. If you ask him why he bought it, he'll tell you just that. He's not going to pretend that it was bought as a tool, although in someone else's hands it would be.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  3. PHATV

PHATV WHITEBELT Platinum Member

Sounds good to me, get to it. That saves us the money.
    <Gordonhat>

4. Cubo de Sangre

Sounds like fun! And for sure uses vary. Whenever people are looking for advice on which gun to buy the first question is always "For what purpose?". Could be hunting, home defense, fun at the range, 3-gun competitions. Fortunately we don't live in a time where the answer is usually "to join a militia".

Tell him to shoot that thing. Damn.

nac386 likes this.
  5. Ruprecht

Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm honestly surprised the Mormons don't have God carving the constitution (and 2A obviously) into golden plates.

Sohei likes this.
  6. Okichitawak

Okichitawak White Belt

Lets just say, they're not your typical Canadian that's involved with sport shooting, hunting and re-enactments. They're the newer type that doesn't represent Canada and its culture. These gangs do recruit fob immigrants though.

They're the ones that give the liberals all the ammunition they need to ban hand guns and semi auto rifles.

It's estimated that hunters, farmers and sport shooters contribute billions to the economy each year. Why hurt that just because of a few bad apples?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

My grandmother just passed away from Alzheimers. For several years he was pretty much stuck in his house taking care of his wife, and he had his own health issues too. Now that she has passed I have a feeling he will get back to the range, he will probably need a month or two though.

You would have had a blast at that range. It was an outdoor range that was frequented by a group of old guys who had retired from government jobs like my grandfather. So the collection there on any given day was pretty neat. I've fired guns from every era starting around the civil war. My favorites were an old Colt .38 special police revolver and the Browning Hi-Power. Not for any practical reason, they both just felt right.

Farmer Br0wn and Cubo de Sangre like this.
  8. Cubo de Sangre

Sorry to hear that. What a horrible disease.

Not a fan of revolvers, but I always meant to buy a Hi-Power. Browning stopped making them and prices went up a little too much for my liking. And of course the collector in me doesn't want a clone. I want that good Belgian shit. Thanks for making the itch tingle. :(

nac386 likes this.
  9. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

<TrumpWrong1> again!

This was you're exact statement:

Why is this statement perfectly valid for the discussion of gun control, but not valid in areas of the law you personally disagree with (ex: border security)?

Owning a firearm that the state deems prohibited isn't a violent act in and of itself, nor is it infringing on anyone else's rights. Gun control doesn't occupy some opposite moral category of every other legal standard. Despite that, you're attempting to do so with your comment.

I'm glad I could clear up your confusion for you.

10. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

I appreciate that.

Have you shot a CZ-75? They are pretty similar to the Browning Hi-Power, but with a larger capacity. It's kind of a more modern version of the same gun, and quite a bit cheaper. Great ergonomics, one of the most comfortable large capacity guns to hold in my opinion. Also very accurate.

MT7, Farmer Br0wn and Cubo de Sangre like this.
  11. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

<DisgustingHHH>

redwire, PHATV, Lord_Impaler and 2 others like this.
  12. Cubo de Sangre

My wife's dad had the disease. :(

Funny you mention the CZ. The ambi version (CZ 85) is my favorite handgun ever. I've also got three other versions of the 75 (newer model, a compact, and an anniversary edition). All their guns deliver a nice bang for the buck.

[​IMG]

MT7 and nac386 like this.
  13. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

I have one too, and it's my favorite too. A friend of mine was a big Beretta guy, and after he shot my CZ he went out and bought one too, but the more compact version. I was never a fan of his Beretta 92, it seemed clunky compared to the CZ.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  14. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Damn. Never trusted that Randy Jackson guy and his gang symbols.

[​IMG]

15. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

and I don't get it. I have and use a Nexus for travel to and from the US. It certainly speeds things up but you still walk thru the metal detector or a full body scanner.

How was he getting these through? Are there low enough metal content guns that will not beep as my watch and belt do not beep when I walk through and keep them in different zones (watch up near chest), but if my watch is down by my belt the combined metal makes it beep and we get the wand sweep after.

During the week, Jackson would work at a job in Michigan. On the weekends, he crossed the border using a Nexus pass — a voluntary program designed to speed up border crossings for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States — and travelled to London to see his family.

To make the arrest, the Firearms Enforcement Unit of the Toronto Police asked the Canada Border Service Agency to stop Jackson the next time he attempted to cross the border from Port Huron, Mich.

On Oct. 12, 2017, the CBSA flagged Jackson for a secondary inspection when he tried to pass through the Nexus lane.

During a search at the border, CBSA officials found three firearms hidden in Jackson's pants.

16. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

yes, we need to get Canada to the point where we have as few people being shot per capita as in the US. Arming that populace and creating an arms race is key.

Sohei likes this.
  17. Cubo de Sangre

Good man!

Agreed on the Beretta. I like it more than others seem to, but it still just sits in the safe. Buddy of mine is an HK and Sig fanboy. After a couple mags through my 85 he went and bought a 75. :cool:

The metal framed Jericho/Baby Eagle is a nice CZ clone.

nac386 likes this.
  18. Okichitawak

Okichitawak White Belt

I think the more Canadians involved with sport shooting, the better. It's great for the economy. Handguns already need to be registered and the licensing system weeds out the vast majority of idiots.

We definitely need to do something about the gang problem and gang culture. Our immigration system also needs to be looked at because gangs are recruiting immigrants.

This is Canada:

Not this:

19. Rational Poster

Rational Poster Scourge of the War Room

Actually I was just trying to grind your gears.

<Dany07>

20. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Canadian like their guns.

We just don't fetishize and treat them increasingly as toys and social media props as they do in the US.

Sohei likes this.