Opinion Amazing look at SpinLaunch insane engineering of spinning a rocket at 6 times the speed of sound ..

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Into space.

Currently at 1.6 times the speed of sound but seeking to hit 6 times the speed of sound to enter low earth orbit. The extreme science involved is nothing short of amazing and seeking to launch several of this up to 10 ton rockets into space each day. As a weapons platform could be a game changer because it would bring down the costs of hypersonic launch rockets to a few million each or even 100's of thousands each. You could consider putting this on a nuclear powered ship or similar to launch almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Very interesting!

And by that I mean, I'm also not watching that randomly on a forum, I hope it crosses my path some other day.

But yeah.

Cool stuff!

Reactions: PEB
That is cool but what if there was a malfunction and it threw that thing sideways?
I would imagine there are fail safes built in but nothing perfect and it seems to bring some risk? I imagine there is a protocol for a safe distance from the platform to protect the people operating the platform.

I would imagine there are fail safes built in but nothing perfect and it seems to bring some risk? I imagine there is a protocol for a safe distance from the platform to protect the people operating the platform.
I imagine they have a lot of fail safe and redundant safety protocols but there is always a chance. Winding that thing up and hoping it goes straight up each time would be scary and the thought of that thing ripping sideways is even scarier.

Into space.

Currently at 1.6 times the speed of sound but seeking to hit 6 times the speed of sound to enter low earth orbit. The extreme science involved is nothing short of amazing and seeking to launch several of this up to 10 ton rockets into space each day. As a weapons platform could be a game changer because it would bring down the costs of hypersonic launch rockets to a few million each or even 100's of thousands each. You could consider putting this on a nuclear powered ship or similar to launch almost anywhere.

YouTube channel "Thunderfoot" say this is not feasible. One can argue on whether this debunking is valid.

--

It really does not look feasible, because how are you going to ensure the integrity of the payload under those extreme centrifugal force? They did launch a camera into space, but a camera is small and simple. A satellite is larger and far more complex.

YouTube channel "Thunderfoot" say this is not feasible. One can argue on whether this debunking is valid.

--

It really does not look feasible, because how are you going to ensure the integrity of the payload under those extreme centrifugal force? They did launch a camera into space, but a camera is small and simple. A satellite is larger and far more complex.

It could be a modern trash disposal device. Instead of worrying about nuclear waste we could use to fuck it off right into the sun

The 'G' forces alone would destroy sensitive equipment. Humans would be out of the question.
We do have some artillery shells with sensitive electronics that can handle the 'G' forces. The stuff is highly complex and classified.
If you cannot put humans in those rockets, it is a waste of both time and money in my opinion.

It is not rocket science. Built a giant one of these. Much cheaper! o_O
rBNaN2E5pGaAJEUjAAIp6fYRcf4198.jpg

The 'G' forces alone would destroy sensitive equipment. Humans would be out of the question.
We do have some artillery shells with sensitive electronics that can handle the 'G' forces. The stuff is highly complex and classified.
If you cannot put humans in those rockets, it is a waste of both time and money in my opinion.
I heard a statistic where less then 5 percent of rocket trips to space carrying people. 95 percent it's carrying payloads an payloads are getting smaller an smaller so rockets are carrying smaller payloads. So rockets needs to operate more affordability or be huge to carry 100's of satellites or weapon systems.

Back