Amazing: A Man Accepted into a Pride of Adult Lions and a Clan of Spotted Hyenas

This is going to be like Timothy Treadwell allover again. Granted Treadwells death had more to do with him being in the park later than usual in the season. Food was scarce for some of the Bears who didn't eat and bulk up enough for their winter hibernation so they were desperate. Timothy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. he had filmed a Bear earlier and didn't feel comfortable around it. He was in an area with Bears he didn't know and being that it was late in the season that Bear he filmed attacked him and Huguenard killing them both and eating them.

This other guy is just asking to be mauled. I wouldn't be surprised if a Lion turns on him latches onto his throat and kills him. FOOD!

Please change the thread title from "pack of spotted hyenas" to "clan of spotted hyenas." It's driving me crazy.

Even with my extensive experience with hyenas, I wouldn't begin to predict how something like this would go. It's hard to imagine a hyena turning on him if they think he outranks them, but who knows how those hyenas even perceive him? What sex would they even think he was, if they were just treating him as a clan member? They can't possibly be just fitting him into the typical rank-and-file. Hyenas have various ways that the scent of members gradually becomes more similar, and obviously he won't be participating in that.

Spotted hyena social behavior is actually remarkably plastic (to allow them to acclimate to different environments), which further complicates things.

It's very odd. If I had any confidence in the honesty of nature programs I'd actually be pretty interested to see how it goes down. Overall, I'd think the lions are the bigger threat. Lion social structures are far more volatile than hyena social structures, though again that's under the assumption they actually see him as a member of the group, rather than some external force they interact with, the latter of which seems far more likely.

Like that one guy was accepted into the bear culture?

Then they ate him?

Like that one guy was accepted into the bear culture?

Then they ate him?

While I think this eventual scenario is not unlikely (as Richardson seems to acknowledge, based on a quick glace at his wiki), it's worth noting that lions are hyenas are both social animals, while grizzly bears are not. There's a big difference between Treadwell getting chomped by some inland grizzly he barely knew and Richardson getting chomped by social animals he has a long-standing relationship with. If anything, I think a Siegfried and Roy situation where the animals harm (and potentially kill) him accidentally is more likely.

Just look at someone like George Adamson (an all-timer on the badass list). He was doing this sort of stuff with lions for more than 30 years before he got gunned down by bandits.

Love this quote from fatheroflions.org:

Some persons worried for the safety of George and Joy living with animals that could pose a danger. But what killed both George and Joy is the most ruthless and dangerous predator of any in existence, humans.

GeorgeAdamson_WalkingAtSunsetWith_ThreeLions_InKoraReserve.jpg

George_WithLion-are-Free_Med.jpg

Tread well was an entirely different set of circumstances. That guy was in the Wild exposed to many different bears at any given time. This guy is in a controlled environment, more or less.

Tread well was an entirely different set of circumstances. That guy was in the Wild exposed to many different bears at any given time. This guy is in a controlled environment, more or less.

Pretty much this.

It was also a bear he didn't actually know so he was uncomfortable from the get go. And grizzly's are unsocial animals while lions and hyenas are social animals.

Ah ok. Fair enough.

Btw, that picture of the guy walking beside the lion at sunset?

I thought that was a centaur.

Blew my fucking mind for a second.

Now watch him win the Darwin award by getting mauled to death

Bitch please this is so easy a child could do it

A child named Token

He has a book called "part of the pride", good read to those interested.

Imo our animal champion zookeeper gabe should embark on a similar way of life, to become the alfa male of groups of hippoes elephants and silverback gorillas.

He prob outwrestles the hippo and the gorilla, but I can see the elephants posing a slight problem

the Treadwell comparison isn't accurate b/c he met and lived with those grizzlies in the wild. and he was gay.

animals don't like the gays.

the Treadwell comparison isn't accurate b/c he met and lived with those grizzlies in the wild. and he was gay.

animals don't like the gays.

He was gay? I'm sure he was killed with his girlfriend.

So they're making a sequel?

grizzlyman.jpg

If you watched the documentary, it was a bear from a different pack that had attacked him before, but he thought if was a good idea to go and try to hug him. He never was attacked by the bears he lived with.

Lol crap like this has always bothered me, these animals don't need a human hanging around them. They should not be befriending people, this isn't Ferngully. It's impressive what he's done but there's a very good chance one will eat him someday. Maybe he will be hanging with his pride and an unrelated male will swing by and cause an uproar, maybe he will be chilling with his hyenas and some lions will run a train on them.

Except for cases where valuable scientific information is gathered this only serves as a way to stroke the ego of the person. It does very little in most cases for the animals.

Lol crap like this has always bothered me, these animals don't need a human hanging around them. They should not be befriending people, this isn't Ferngully. It's impressive what he's done but there's a very good chance one will eat him someday. Maybe he will be hanging with his pride and an unrelated male will swing by and cause an uproar, maybe he will be chilling with his hyenas and some lions will run a train on them.

Except for cases where valuable scientific information is gathered this only serves as a way to stroke the ego of the person. It does very little in most cases for the animals.

That's what I thought at first but then I thought "what the heck?", he's not causing any harm. He might eventually be harmed or killed, so what? He clearly chose to do this knowing the risks.

That's what I think the main motivation/payoff is too.

I'm sure he knows the risks and probably doesn't mind the prospect of dying to these animals in the least. He probably knows that his life is in danger better than any outside observer. I don't know why people always have to say shit like, "Well he might die." in response to something like this. You don't say?

I guess the idea of loving what you do the extent of placing your life secondary to it, is so incredibly foreign to most, they simply can't understand it.

That's what I thought at first but then I thought "what the heck?", he's not causing any harm. He might eventually be harmed or killed, so what? He clearly chose to do this knowing the risks.

Imdeed, and he makes no bones about it in his book and various interviews.

Back