Amateur wrestling for a beginner

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So after searching for my designated BJJ gym, I stumbled across a wrestling place instead and was wondering if you guys could help me out with some basic questions I have. I got a little curious to try it out...

- What is the default style of amateur wrestling taught in gyms (it does not state) - Greco Roman or Freestyle?

- Is there anything allowed in Greco Roman rules which is banned in Freestyle? (kinda retarded question but still)

- Would a 30 year old be thrown in with the regular seniors and learn by doing, or do I have to train beginner level with toddlers?

If its composed of mostly school age kids (which it probably is) then they will most likely teach scholastic/American folk during the school year and shift to FS/GR toward the spring and summer. Though you will learn stuff that is useful for al 3.

Not that I am aware of.

No. A 30 year old beginner wouldn't be training with toddlers. If you would be joining a school that would take a 30 year old beginner it's because there is a class that they would fit into.

If its composed of mostly school age kids (which it probably is) then they will most likely teach scholastic/American folk during the school year and shift to FS/GR toward the spring and summer. Though you will learn stuff that is useful for al 3..

It has a seniors/teenagers group separate from beginners/kids.

Okey so I just googled folkstyle:

I was a bit disappointed to learn this:

"In collegiate wrestling, there is a de-emphasis on "throws", or maneuvers where the other wrestler is taken off his feet, taken through the air, and lands on his back or shoulders. This lack of emphasis on throws is another example of how collegiate wrestling emphasizes dominance or control, as opposed to the element of risk and explosive action. "

So I wanted to do wrestling to become a beast in takedowns and what do I learn? That throws are deemphasised in the introductary style. Sigh.

I don't mind supplexes being banned however...

Okey so I just googled folkstyle:

I was a bit disappointed to learn this:

"In collegiate wrestling, there is a de-emphasis on "throws", or maneuvers where the other wrestler is taken off his feet, taken through the air, and lands on his back or shoulders. This lack of emphasis on throws is another example of how collegiate wrestling emphasizes dominance or control, as opposed to the element of risk and explosive action. "
You'll see throws in NCAA but they are just not rewarded any more than a regular takedown.

So I wanted to do wrestling to become a beast in takedowns and what do I learn? That throws are deemphasised in the introductary style. Sigh.

I don't mind supplexes being banned however...
If a wrestling club has a significant population of non-students, im sure there is a sizeable chunk of the instruction devoted to moves native to FS/GR.

So you figure I'll get decent a throwing regardless?
Yes. Even if there isn't a significant freestyle element to the curriculum (which is unlikely), the skills, strength, muscle memory, etc that one would gain from practicing singles, doubles, mat returns, go-behinds, snap downs, turns/back-points, underhooks, armdrags, etc. will help you get good at throwing. Especially if you lift to be a better thrower. This is not nearly as good as actually learning to throw but its decent enough.

As a 30 year old you don’t want to be practicing 4 point throws anyways

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would want to be practicising wrestling at all as a 30 year old..
Wasn't that the whole point of this thread though? You want to take up wrestling at 30 years old?

I've never met anyone over 18 that says they want to join a wrestling club to learn from the start. Good luck. I didn't know it was even available.

As a 30 year old you don’t want to be practicing 4 point throws anyways
Come on, bro. Where is your just bleed attitude at? 4 pointer throws all day everyday, bro. Forget the basics, that is all you need.

Intuition tells me OP isn't ever gonna join a BJJ gym or wrestling club, but he'll keep posting threads here till he gets bored.

American Folkstyle has the most diverse takedown set so if that's what you're looking for, that's your best bet.

So after searching for my designated BJJ gym, I stumbled across a wrestling place instead and was wondering if you guys could help me out with some basic questions I have. I got a little curious to try it out...

- What is the default style of amateur wrestling taught in gyms (it does not state) - Greco Roman or Freestyle?

- Is there anything allowed in Greco Roman rules which is banned in Freestyle? (kinda retarded question but still)

- Would a 30 year old be thrown in with the regular seniors and learn by doing, or do I have to train beginner level with toddlers?

Have you trained at all? Have you contacted the gym yet ?

Why don't you go do a couple classes at all these gyms before you sign up and pick the one you like the most?

Back