Amateur matches are glorified sparring sessions :P

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by KillerIsBack V2, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

They are not professional boxers. Neither has actually fought a boxer. They are celebrities boxing other celebs.
    Would you class white collar boxers as semi pro if they make money from the ticket sales? Of course not

SandisLL likes this.
  2. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

Absolutely agree, and It’s where you learn your trade in a much more gentle and controlled environment. And it’s also a good test as to whether a fighter is good enough, tough enough mentally/physically to go pro. I personally feel that fighters shouldn’t be allowed to turn pro until they have had a certain amount of ami bouts

RabbitPunch36, 4daLuLZ and Hagler like this.
  3. 4daLuLZ Black Belt

<TrumpWrong1>

4. aries Gold Belt

Great post. I won't bore anyone but my experience is similar just I didn't ever get as far as wanting to turn pro. I knew a kid that turned pro, he used to spar with us and he'd pick us apart without trying. To me he seemed naturally talented for boxing. He ended up losing several fights in a row as a pro about ten fights in and then he retired shortly after because I think he realised he wasn't going to get anywhere.

5. PrideUltimate Orange Belt

You don't need good management in boxing. It's good for amateur boxing that kids use it as a marketing and network tool for their professional careers. Fighters should not pay focus to training or bouts. They should only focus on networking and making good relationship with background people.
    Thanks for teaching me this.

6. HandNoise Brown Belt

You’re welcome to post and express your thoughts as much as you like. Don’t let anyone make you think/feel otherwise.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  7. MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

I would be in heaven to be matched against you and a 19-20 year old simultaneously. Hell, toss in a few others for good measure. I’m no hard ass or braggart. It’s just that I thrive off of a challenge.
    A few years ago, in a pick up basketball ball game with some special needs kids, I singlehandedly routed that motley crew. 12 points, 4 assists, 5 boards. I’m typically not good at stealing.... but against them? I rose to the occasion.

Hagler likes this.
  8. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

That’s right. He is special.

9. RabbitPunch36 Blue Belt

How is the North Korean system in general? Dud they produce a lot of accomplished amateurs and what type of style of boxing did they teach if you know? On paper chol-su accompliments are extremely remarkable is he as impressive on film (if he has full fights available to watch)? Do you get the impression he was extremely well schooled or freakishly talented?

HandNoise and ironfist05 like this.
  10. 4daLuLZ Black Belt

<RomeroSalute>

11. SandisLL Brown Belt

Your internet posting career is beautiful. No clue abot boxing careers and still an expert.

You are special, I will place you in my ignore list. Only stuff you have better than I do have is english.
    I will not waste time to read your posts.

12. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

As utterly devastated as I may be I'll keep reading the first few words of yours, sunshine. These difficult times we're getting through do make comic relief even more valuable.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 1:59 AM
    Jhonni5 likes this.
  13. SandisLL Brown Belt

Yes.

Yes.

Nope, millions of ppl always will attempt to reinvent the wheel.
    Instead even attempt to ask some notable persons about their opinions.

Yeah. A lot of succesful western fighters were not bad amateurs.
    The same Tyson. Nice KOs in amateur fights. Tank and Ryang were good amateur boxers too.
    Long list with successful, notable pro boxers in Western world had good amateur results.

There is one big difference between high level amateur and a pros.
    In amateur tournament format you should fight everyone they will gave you fight with. Like 1/8 final, 1/4, semi final, final.
    Therefore you can't get here also someone with short notice in the ring with you.
    Highest level amateur tournaments are with yearly schedule. There ppl know when they will be done and prepare.
    To get some medal in Pan Ams is approx Euro championship concurrence level. World championship. Games.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 3:06 AM
  14. SandisLL Brown Belt

Thank You.
    You use so rare words to bite people like TheMaster from f11 subsection.
    Biting english from 50 ies - 60 ies and you TheMaster claim that my english is so bad that I'm not capable to spot out TheMaster from f11 = Hagler from boxing section.

I will see how long this message will remain here visible for users.
    My IQ is a bit higher than you may assume.

15. SandisLL Brown Belt

I agree that you have high level IQ but you underestimated my level because had been based on my english writing skills.
    Sadly for you my reading skills are better than writing skills so you failed a bit, Sir.

16. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

I don’t know about your IQ as a whole, but your logical reasoning is obviously on par with your grammar and spelling skills.

Take one or two minutes every time you post so that people’s eyes do not bleed trying to understand you - this is what I do, as English isn’t my first language. Don’t hesitate to edit your posts either.

English isn’t your only issue, though. Nor is it the most annoying. Just stop lecturing people on basic boxing-related stuff they already do know about. When you do both, everything will be all right.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 5:18 AM
  17. SandisLL Brown Belt

I do not agree.
    I never had refused to delete or edit my posts. I really lenient and agree to do this.

In this discussion yes.

No. Topic starter does not know ammy boxing at all and even recent history.
    Otherwise he didn't had ashamed boxers with this discussion here.
    Despite I agree that since beginnig of 80 ies ammy boxe had turned more into point scoring, this doesn't means that amateur boxer does not risk with his life not alone with his health when he is stepping in the ring with guy.

18. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Slow learner, I guess.

19. SandisLL Brown Belt

You do have opportunity in real life to learn basics: go to the gym and ask someone who does have 11 lbs functional weight advantage vs you to land on you 40 low blows with for example 18 oz gloves.
    50% from gloves weight padding and 50% leather.
    Then you will become enough skilled about stuff called Salido vs Loma talks in this forum.:D

I newer was Loma fan but I should tell you : only War Room is worse than this boxing section. :D
    I do not have intent to stalk you or threat you in any kind, but most likely you too overvalue your value, Sir.

20. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

As expected, you did understand poorly my point about Lomachenko vs Salido, and your answer back then was hardly readable. I was talking about the refreeing, the fouling and the fact that Salido’s style isn’t what you get prepared for in amateur boxing. You replied bringing up the weight issue, which no one can deny but wasn’t my point. As far as Lomachenko had agreed to fight in spite of Salido’s weight, he was confident he could beat him anyway. As an excuse it’s hardly legit.

Nice try, though. Now focus on the English - or this ignore button you also seem to have trouble finding.

Jhonni5 likes this.