Amateur matches are glorified sparring sessions :P

No they're not.
If you're in one of the few eastern european countries that you get paid well as an olympic boxer so you make it your main profession for 24 years, then no, it is amateur by name alone.

Absolutely. What we do call amateur boxing can be different depending on the country we’re talking about.

And we call it, like, amateur boxing.

Absolutely. What we do call amateur boxing can be different depending on the country we’re talking about.

And we call it, like, amateur boxing.
Exactly, so it being amateur boxing is just a semantic thing. In reality it's a different lighter version of the sport "pro boxing".

Anyway, to stick with the topic at hand, and assuming your scanned through the thread, do you think having hundreds of ammy fights(weather adult, yth, or jr) is generally a good, bad or neutral thing? no ammy? little ammy with a lot of pro rising up?

Pro is better than amateur but amateur still means something.
It's also funny that every pro boxer lost in the 2016 Olympics. It wasnt the best of the best but there were a couple former champions in the mix.
Sad we didn't get to see some of these guys turn pro though.. that dude that beat up Hassan N'dam in the first round was promising.

Also, someone should tell Sofiane Oumiha's agent to stop fucking around in World Series and turn pro already... he took Amnat's soul in Rio.

Not everyone has what it takes to fight pro 12 rounders, let alone shine in them, so I don't mind the amateur format at all. I just don't keep up with it all that much.

Oumiha is good, even if he connects with a fair amount of slaps. Dunno how his style would translate in professional boxing. The other issue he'll have is how to make a living out of a niche market in France. He'll be bound to have a terrible risk/reward ratio. A guy like Nordine Oubaali went through hell before he had a title shot.

Last edited:
The ami age limit in Britain has spawned thousands of white collar fighters, which are actually far harder to match up fairly. You can end up with very experienced guys fighting novices. That completely depends on the event and the coaches

Personally I’d prefer Amis to be able to fight much older than they can for a while host of reason, and ban white collar boxing

Not everyone has what it takes to fight pro 12 rounders, let alone shine in them, so I don't mind the amateur format at all. I just don't keep up with it all that much.

Oumiha is good, even if he connects with a fair amount of slaps. Dunno how his style would translate in professional boxing. The other issue he'll have is how to make a living out of a niche market in France. He'll bound to have a terrible risk/reward ratio. A guy like Nordine Oubaali went through hell before he had a title shot.
Lots of pro champions throw in some slappy strikes mid combo. you don't need to even go through the smaller divisions, even tyson fury is a big example you can see him slap every fight almost.
Besides, I think it's very hard to criticize his style transitioning capabilities when He KO'd a guy people in this forum were calling "the next mayweather", not that I agree with that but still.

As for the market, if I was him, I'd move, or move out and train with hunter like Yoka did.

pro guys usualy start career with 4 or 6 rounders. there are some exceptions of course.
12 rounds pro fights usually are only tittle fights, fights for minor tittles ( continental etc ) usually are 10 rounders however 10 rounds might be used also for high level ranking fights. a ranking fight is fight with intent to climb up in rankings.
all fights in pro boxing does have this aim however 10 rounders almost always are with boxers ranked in top level. like at least top 100 in weight class or close to this.

Thanks a lot for stating the obvious.

Last edited:
Lots of pro champions throw in some slappy strikes mid combo. you don't need to even go through the smaller divisions, even tyson fury is a big example you can see him slap every fight almost.
Besides, I think it's very hard to criticize his style transitioning capabilities when He KO'd a guy people in this forum were calling "the next mayweather", not that I agree with that but still.

As for the market, if I was him, I'd move, or move out and train with hunter like Yoka did.

It’s more telling about Amnat than it is about Oumiha IMO. I don’t think Oumiha’s pop will bother elite pros. Besides he doesn’t have Yoka’s HW appeal. We’ll see, I guess, but I’m kind of pessimistic as I think his style is better suited for the ammies. I hope he does well in the next Olympics.

not at all.
10 rouder's purse alone is higher than in lower ranks for 8 rounder unless one was not with some name here.
Pro boxe is a business.

Thanks again for the very same reason.

The ami age limit in Britain has spawned thousands of white collar fighters, which are actually far harder to match up fairly. You can end up with very experienced guys fighting novices. That completely depends on the event and the coaches

Personally I’d prefer Amis to be able to fight much older than they can for a while host of reason, and ban white collar boxing
Totally agree. I wanted to box ammy again but I'm too old now. I could go white collar but I would have an unfair advantage against most opponents which I don't think is fair.

This is like if you are very good long runner and prefer longer warm up, I had advised for you to get 6 rounder over 4 rounder and if vice versa, 4 rounder.
8 rounds are 8 * 3 minutes and each round usually is paid more than in 6 rounder.

Dude, if I thank you a third time for stating the same obvious stuff you’ve already said before, do you promise not to copy and paste another page of Wikipedia’s broken English version ?

When I'm in shape, volume punchers don't give me much trouble, but thinkers totally vex me.
it's more my build than anything, I'm 5'10 and compete at 141, walk around 150. I've got good fundamentals so I hit pretty hard, but I get muscled around by shorter, bigger guys.

Are you only being outmuscled by shorter guys, or by anyone in your weight class? Could be that you are fighting really tall and letting them get leverage.

Are you only being outmuscled by shorter guys, or by anyone in your weight class? Could be that you are fighting really tall and letting them get leverage.
Naw, they were all just stronger.

im happily retired and coaching full time
Now

find instead your chip on shoulder at least benefits.
Instead of pretending to be better than a dish washer here.

I do know people with negative official records here and I never ever had afforded to shit on guy.
I do have value regardless from your race or origin. Unlike you.

Endlessly stating the obvious and insulting people in broken English does indeed bring great value to this place ! Keep up the good work, pumpkin. Maybe someday people will actually read your posts in their entierety. You can do it.

Last edited:
Endlessly stating the obvious and insulting people in broken English

I agree that this forum is better suitable for ppl like you.:D
Waste of time for me and better is to do something more valuable instead of spending time here.

I agree that this forum is better suitable for ppl like you.:D
Waste of time for me and better is to do something more valuable instead of spending time here.

Agreed. This place is more suitable to people who do try to make sense.

I agree on that, but I would go that even further that the whole ameteur career is waste of talent. Go Pro as early as it is possible, like Canelo.
There's no valid reason to waste time on different sport. Some do it for get experience/self confidence or marketibility for pro career. But if you are really talented you should start focusing on professional career early on. Some fighters do that and do amateurs on side. But that's just distracting, focus on pros early on, get yourself good managers who make sure good matchmaking. There are too many politics and fishy situations in amateurs that I even think as dirty some say professional boxing is, it's different but we could argue which one is dirtier.
So focus on 12 round fights, forget tournaments, make sure about matchmaking and prepare for selected opponent, forget amateur scoring system. Stop wasting your time with amateurs.

You start "learning" your trade in the pros, you’ll end up with a bunch of losses, massive and career wrecking beatings and with no shot at making it big.

Canelo had massive backing (and I think about 50 ammy fights) before he turned pro and he was greatly protected for the first 30 odd fights of his career.
That kinda backing is exceedingly rare.
You’re more likely to end up a Emmanuel Augustus with an even record and more known for clowning in the ring than the extremely hard nosed fight he’d actually give you in the ring.

The pros is all about marketing (don’t let the cheerleaders fool you) and nobody gives a shit about a 30-23-8 record fighter.
Give the good managers / promoters etc a reason to invest their limited time with you. A good ammy career attracts a lot financial and career interest before you’ve even laced up your first pair.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, just do what is proven and learn the ropes, away from the pressures of professional fighting, in the amateur game.

Nearly every great fighter worth his shit has taken that route (exceptions don’t disprove the rule).
And that holds true even in the point scoring age (1989-2013).
Ward, Dirrell, Crawford, the Charlo brothers, Usyk, Joshua and on n on.

But you do you.

Canelo had massive backing (and I think about 50 ammy fights) before he turned pro and he was greatly protected for the first 30 odd fights of his career.
That kinda backing is exceedingly rare.
You’re more likely to end up a Emmanuel Augustus with an even record and more known for clowning in the ring than the extremely hard nosed fight he’d actually give you in the ring.

I think you need good management in professional boxing, even in amateurs, to be able to make succesful career. And I think correct matchmaking is most important in professional career.

I don't think that serve's well for ameteur boxing either, if it's a step stone to marketing for professionals. Or way to make backing for pros. Fighter should focus on fighting (training, bouts). not making contacts, and seems like you expressed amateur career as that. I know it's most obvious way, because it's not that easy to find that backing up. I am just telling what's wrong with the sport and what I recommend to do different.

Back