News Amanda Ribas vs Tracy Cortez Flyweight December 3

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suspect that ribas--with her great tdd, judo, and bjj -- is simply a bad match up for the wrestling heavy style of Cortez, especially when you consider that ribas is the better striker of the two. I expect Ribas to keep it on the feet enough to win a decision. Also, I thought ribas' chin looked a bit rejuvenated at 125lbs, but that could have just been because she was fighting grape handed chook.

Yep. Cortez's wrestling is good, but she doesn't do a whole lot with except hold, and she can be swept and just generally outworked. Like I said in my post, I think cardio is going to be a big factor in this. Ribas just does more and doesn't stop.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Cortez finds herself on her back at some point as well. Ribas is good at lay and praying herself when she wants to be.

And we don't have any clue how Ribas' chin is at 125. Like you said, she only fought Chook, and if you're getting rocked by the The Chook or somehow knocked out even, then you probably should have retired a long time ago.

Cortez doesn't have great striking, but she does have decent power in her punches. In WMMA, sometimes that's enough.

Great fight (or, it should be). Ribas stock has dropped after recent losses, but I think she is more tested than Cortez. Cortez has to prove something in this fight; can she hang with the top 5/10?. Also, Ribas struggles with aggressive, skilled strikers and that isn't Cortez's game. I'm inclined to pick Ribas.

Jarl

And we don't have any clue how Ribas' chin is at 125.

Cortez doesn't have great striking, but she does have decent power in her punches. In WMMA, sometimes that's enough.

Any fighter that has been flash KOd twice fighting at strawweight its safe to say has a bad chin in general.

I disagree though on Cortez having power in her punches. Her opponents walk her down far too frequently for her to have any pop in her shots.

Any fighter that has been flash KOd twice fighting at strawweight its safe to say has a bad chin in general.

I disagree though on Cortez having power in her punches. Her opponents walk her down far too frequently for her to have any pop in her shots.

Yeh, I have some big doubts about Ribas' chin more after seeing Virna drop her than the Marina KO, but Virna does have some power, and the other came against R1 Vianna, which isn't too shameful.

I more meant we don't have clue about her chin at 125 because Chook isn't a measuring stick at all because she couldn't hurt a fly. I do think there's other strikers at 125 who would definitely have KOd or rocked Ribas at the very least if they were landing on her like Chook was.

With Cortez, her power isn't consistent. In one exchange it just isn't there, but in the next, when she really plants her feet, there's some pepper there. It's not big KO power or anything, but like I said in another post, it could be enough to give Ribas some trouble, even if it doesn't phase any of the other FLWs.

Those power punches out of Cortez lose a lot of effectiveness once she slows down though, and she throws them far less.

I suspect that ribas--with her great tdd, judo, and bjj -- is simply a bad match up for the wrestling heavy style of Cortez, especially when you consider that ribas is the better striker of the two. I expect Ribas to keep it on the feet enough to win a decision. Also, I thought ribas' chin looked a bit rejuvenated at 125lbs, but that could have just been because she was fighting grape handed chook.

s'funny because I see it the exactly the other way round - Tracy is a bad matchup for Ribas. She comfortably outgrappled Egger who is a more credentialed Judkoa (and tried to defend the TD's in a similar manner to how Ribas does) AND significantly bigger than Ribas (fought with success at 145, while Ribas built her name at 115). Cortez herself is a 125/135 'tweener so will have a good size advantage for the grappling in this bout. Cortez is also still a bit under the radar (because she doesn't fight often enough) with Ribas having more to lose (being the bigger name and on a skid). Granted Amanda is a much better MMA grappler than Egg, and far ahead in the striking/movement phases as well, BUT STILL...

Ribas lost a round after getting taken down and stuck on the bottom vs Jandiroba, and was taken down by Canda Markos as well (but swept not long later her); Cortez's meaty dumpster is not going to be easy to shake off should she land on top of Amanda. I think Ribas needs to get on her bike here like she did vs Dern. But Cortez is bigger and has wrestling, unlike Dern...

If Ribas does lose I already expect 'what happened to Ribas?' 'was she overhyped?' type posts and already had the 'most ppl thought she beat Chook' 'against Rodriguez she was winning until she lost bro' and now 'Cortez is really good even if not well known and this was just an awkward/bad matchup for Ribas bro' counters being prepared for my quiver by my helper trolls. It's funny how narrow the margins can be - a debatable loss to a #2, a KO loss to a perenially #1 contender in a fight you were winning till then, and a loss to an underrated up-and-comer who is a bad matchup and suddenly you might be 'on the decline' when things could have very easily gone the other way just on a different day...

Yeh, I have some big doubts about Ribas' chin more after seeing Virna drop her than the Marina KO, but Virna does have some power, and the other came against R1 Vianna, which isn't too shameful.

I more meant we don't have clue about her chin at 125 because Chook isn't a measuring stick at all because she couldn't hurt a fly. I do think there's other strikers at 125 who would definitely have KOd or rocked Ribas at the very least if they were landing on her like Chook was.

With Cortez, her power isn't consistent. In one exchange it just isn't there, but in the next, when she really plants her feet, there's some pepper there. It's not big KO power or anything, but like I said in another post, it could be enough to give Ribas some trouble, even if it doesn't phase any of the other FLWs.

Those power punches out of Cortez lose a lot of effectiveness once she slows down though, and she throws them far less.

Cortez is such an uncomfortable striker in general I don't know if she has the sustained output to score a knockdown.

If Ribas is able to put Cortez on her backfoot I see her having a lot of success.

s'funny because I see it the exactly the other way round - Tracy is a bad matchup for Ribas. She comfortably outgrappled Egger who is a more credentialed Judkoa (and tried to defend the TD's in a similar manner to how Ribas does) AND significantly bigger than Ribas (fought with success at 145, while Ribas built her name at 115). Cortez herself is a 125/135 'tweener so will have a good size advantage for the grappling in this bout. Cortez is also still a bit under the radar (because she doesn't fight often enough) with Ribas having more to lose (being the bigger name and on a skid). Granted Amanda is a much better MMA grappler than Egg, and far ahead in the striking/movement phases as well, BUT STILL...

Ribas lost a round after getting taken down and stuck on the bottom vs Jandiroba, and was taken down by Canda Markos as well (but swept not long later her); Cortez's meaty dumpster is not going to be easy to shake off should she land on top of Amanda. I think Ribas needs to get on her bike here like she did vs Dern. But Cortez is bigger and has wrestling, unlike Dern...

If Ribas does lose I already expect 'what happened to Ribas?' 'was she overhyped?' type posts and already had the 'most ppl thought she beat Chook' 'against Rodriguez she was winning until she lost bro' and now 'Cortez is really good even if not well known and this was just an awkward/bad matchup for Ribas bro' counters being prepared for my quiver by my helper trolls. It's funny how narrow the margins can be - a debatable loss to a #2, a KO loss to a perenially #1 contender in a fight you were winning till then, and a loss to an underrated up-and-comer who is a bad matchup and suddenly you might be 'on the decline' when things could have very easily gone the other way just on a different day...

I wouldn't put too much stock into Cortez's wrestling prowess. All of her opponents thus far have been fighters easily controlled on bottom and with demonstrably poor takedown defense.

Ribas will be the best MMA grappler and striker Cortez has faced thus far.

Tracy should have a pretty big size advantage as you said but then again she has problems making weight so who knows what condition she will be in.

Its definitely a winnable matchup for both.

Cortez is such an uncomfortable striker in general I don't know if she has the sustained output to score a knockdown.

If Ribas is able to put Cortez on her backfoot I see her having a lot of success.

^^^ This is pretty much the whole fight to me: if Ribas can put her on the back foot.

There's something about the sort of output Ribas can put on that I don't think Cortez will be able to deal with. We saw cracks in Cortez's game against both Kish and Gatto. Kish made her work enough that she slowed and from there almost won a split decision. Gatto took over briefly when Cortez slowed and had her in trouble, but then seemed to slow herself in the final round and Cortez came back strong.

The difference with Ribas is that she can maintain her high pace for 3 straight rounds, just like she did against Virna and Dern.

If she can avoid early takedowns and make Cortez work, I don't give Cortez much chance at all from that point.

I wouldn't put too much stock into Cortez's wrestling prowess. All of her opponents thus far have been fighters easily controlled on bottom and with demonstrably poor takedown defense.

People definitely overlook this. Mello is no wrestler. Agapova has no cardio and isn't great off her back. Egger's judo is nice, but again, she's not great off her back. Kish sucks at grappling. And then you have Gatto, who literally doesn't seem to care about being taken down because she's more than willing to fish for subs and sweeps off her back.

Ribas does have some issues when she's put on her back, but she might be the hardest one of that entire list for Cortez to actually put there in the first place.

I suspect jandiroba's top game is much more dangerous than Cortez's to be honest. Ribas is a better grappler than just about all those girls you mentioned that cortez beat. Gatto is a great grappler, too, but as someone else mentioned, she is too accepting of bottom position-- ribas is not. Even then, Gatto got cortez in some very bad positions.

If cortez wins the way she usually does, I'll be surprised.

NegligibleIllinformedHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif
CourageousSilverBittern-max-1mb.gif

polishing-cleaning.gif

Amanda Ribas on Tracy Cortez ‘will be a fight between Smart Fighters’ | UFC Orlando
MMA Crazy

After 3 minutes it stops being in English

Back