Am i using this "slip bag" correctly?

Hey guys so i wanted to work on my head movement, so im using a yoyo as a slip bag. Am i doing it right?

Over looked and under utilized tool.

I would start with it in front of a mirror if possible and keep things basic at first. Once you get good at it you can play with it, cut angles and punches etc.

This guy has a great channel and is very knowledgeable about boxing

Over looked and under utilized tool.

I would start with it in front of a mirror if possible and keep things basic at first. Once you get good at it you can play with it, cut angles and punches etc.

This guy has a great channel and is very knowledgeable about boxing

Sounds good, thanks.

I can't say for sure without seeing your hips and legs but it looks like you're just moving your torso from side to side without rotating your trunk. Also, you're not supposed to spin around like a dreidel. Use timing to slip the bag on its way back without looking at it.

I can't say for sure without seeing your hips and legs but it looks like you're just moving your torso from side to side without rotating your trunk. Also, you're not supposed to spin around like a dreidel. Use timing to slip the bag on its way back without looking at it.

Ok sounds good. Thanks for the feed back, im sure ronda rousey didnt use the slip bag properly.

You're moving too "side to side", when the movement should be more side & forward (or backward if you'r eback stepping), so if we look at a bird's eye view and picture an analog clock, you're in the center and for forward slips should be moving at 1 or 11, not 3 or 9, and backwards would be 5 or 7.

Keep the movement as tight as possible, the bag or fist should graze slightly ideally. Too much wide space will affect the balance. Remember, the point of a slip is to basically enact your offense or escape + strike as fast as possible as you avoid their strike. To slip and do nothing is basically a wasted motion that would've been better served blocking

You're moving too "side to side", when the movement should be more side & forward (or backward if you'r eback stepping), so if we look at a bird's eye view and picture an analog clock, you're in the center and for forward slips should be moving at 1 or 11, not 3 or 9, and backwards would be 5 or 7.

Keep the movement as tight as possible, the bag or fist should graze slightly ideally. Too much wide space will affect the balance. Remember, the point of a slip is to basically enact your offense or escape + strike as fast as possible as you avoid their strike. To slip and do nothing is basically a wasted motion that would've been better served blocking

Thanks, i will make sure i go either forward or back with my slips

Looks like you are doing it Mike Tyson style where you slip at the waist.

The conventional way slipping is taught in my experience is to begin with the legs.

Cus D'amato apparently taught his fighters to slip without using the legs bending at the waist. This guy was taught by D'amato and goes over his style of slipping here;

I'm not sure which is necessarily better.

The conventional way slipping is taught in my experience is to begin with the legs.

Cus D'amato apparently taught his fighters to slip without using the legs bending at the waist. This guy was taught by D'amato and goes over his style of slipping here;

Both ways are legit, just different types of slips for different tasks.

Unless you're literally training at Catskill under Kevin Rooney, you shouldn't try to mimic anything Mike Tyson does or it would be a disaster.

im a fan of Damato style. I was going to recommend watching some tyson clips. Im a big tyson fan as well. That being said, keep in mind it is a different style of slipping than standard. Nothing wrong with learning both ways.

Both ways are legit, just different types of slips for different tasks.

I think you’ve always got to learn the method that begins with the legs for weaving under hooks.

Doing the Tyson method is an option if you can find a coach who teaches but they are very rare.

I think you’ve always got to learn the method that begins with the legs for weaving under hooks.

Doing the Tyson method is an option if you can find a coach who teaches but they are very rare.

We learn both here, their usage is situational - sometimes "pendulum" variant is better suited, sometimes - traditional. But I agree that you better start with the slips that involve legs fiŕst

What? Tyson slipped a LOT with his legs bent. In general he was a master of utilizing his legs be that power development, slipping, changing sides infight...etc. A lot! A classic boxer bending at the waist was Frazier.

DeadGaseousGourami-size_restricted.gif

What? Tyson slipped a LOT with his legs bent. In general he was a master of utilizing his legs be that power development, slipping, changing sides infight...etc. A lot! A classic boxer bending at the waist was Frazier.

DeadGaseousGourami-size_restricted.gif

He clearly practised slipping punches by initially moving horizontally at the waist as was posted above by Shincheckin and he executed it plenty of times in his fights.

If I said D'amato taught his fighter's to slip punches by initiating the movement at the waist then I should have clarified that was only for one style of slip, I later said in this thread both movement's were essential within one style.

Frazier bent forwards at the waist not horizontally.

He clearly practised slipping punches by initially moving horizontally at the waist as was posted above by Shincheckin and he executed it plenty of times in his fights.

If I said D'amato taught his fighter's to slip punches by initiating the movement at the waist then I should have clarified that was only for one style of slip, I later said in this thread both movement's were essential within one style.

Frazier bent forwards at the waist not horizontally.
I wont continue to argue but I see Tyson near always starting with his legs if I watch his training clips with Rooney or many of his old fights. I would say the difference is that he uses the waist a lot more than traditional taught.

Well besides that I agree with @StopDucking . As long as there is not an experienced coach with this method of moving I wouldnt try it.

Back