Am I too small to try BJJ?

I'd love to get in to the sport, at least just from non-competitor standpoint, but I worry that being 140 lbs. and 5'8" will make training really hard (keep in mind this is me after spending a year of P90X/etc. - it would be unrealistic to think I will get any bigger).

Side question - I'm looking at Valko BJJ in Chicago, anyone familiar with them, and is it a friendly/good place to start at? I don't have a car, and it's within walking distance, so it's my only real option right now.

Thanks in advance, appreciate any advice, tips, whatever. :icon_chee

troll?

Caio Terra is 120 lbs. and he kicks asses.

when he first started BJJ he was less than 100lbs.

I have a friend who is about 125 and a blue belt at 16 years old, he absolutely destroys people that are much bigger than him in both gi and no gi, after getting some basic technique down you should be handing 250 pound whitebelts their asses in no time

Keep training, and with proper technique and positioning, it will feel like you weigh 200+ pounds when you get someone in certain positions. Good BJJ technique has a funny way of making a little man feel like a big man.

BTW, 5'8 140 pounds isn't really that small. I train with a guy who is about 5'6 and MAYBE a buck ten and he's a tenacious little bastard who will eventually get good because he doesn't get frustrated.

Another nice thing about BJJ is it allows you to not only learn techniques, but unique ways of applying them that is most effective for you. You learn yourself as much as you learn any technique.

No, you are not too small to try BJJ.

/thread

Back