Am I too small to try BJJ?

Psh im 5'3 113 lbs, the guys i go against are about 5'11 - 6' and weigh 160-200 there are a few that are bigger. There is one girl but she is 5'5 165 lbs. I'm a 15 year old male. I figure this will only make me better, when i go against people in my highschool wrestling it is sooo easy compared to what i do in bjj

There is no such thing as being too small.

I am from Vigo, Spain, and there are no so many BJJ instructors around here. I've been training for a couple of years with Bruno Panda, A BJJ brown belt under Cavalcante but with about more than 10 years of training. He is a big boy, easily a 6-3, 250 pounds guy. He is quite good, flexible and powerful, and has such a thick neck and arms that is quite difficult to submit (indeed he has only being tapped by other guy of the gym).
Pequeno Nogueira was at my gym one year ago, and he is only 5-7 around 160. My trainer tapped a few times to his guillotines.
Size matters. Talent and skills matters more.

At first, you're going to feel too small. You'll be rolling and drilling, in class, with people of all sizes and early on, your size is going to be a problem.

Work through it and you'll be fine.

In competition, if you choose to do so, you'll face people your own weight, so that will not be an issue.

do it. You're not "smaller" than the kids/teens/young adults. You'll be fine. Besides, you compete is weight divisions so it's not a problem.

Bro I'm 5'9'' and 125lbs

Size doesn't mean anything if you want to start. Just start.

How would pretty much any BW or FW get a belt in BJJ if their was a height requierement ;)

Size doesn't matter (that much)

When you take down and tap someone bigger and stronger than you, it is all worth it. DO IT.

Assuming you're male, most likely you're going to be too big for the two lightest men's divisions unless you cut weight for tournaments; I think Roosterweight maxes out at something like 125 and Light Featherweight at 135-ish.

You're bigger than me and I'm having the time of my life, so probably you will too, provided you remember that sometimes you're the pit bull and sometimes you're the squeak toy.

I think an earlier poster said that the thing that matters most is not giving up. But a good sense of humor helps too. If you're going to get snippy every time someone subs you out, tosses you around like a rag doll, face plants you into the mat, makes you into a human pretzel, or rips part of your uniform off and uses it as a weapon, you'll sign up for a lot of angst. It's better if you appreciate the humor and artistry at least a little bit.

Jiu-Jitsu is made for small guys. Asking this question is almost like saying "Am I too tall for basketball" Or "Am I too thin to be a sprinter" lol NOOOOOO get in there and start training. :)

I was 5'11'', and 140 when I started. There is no size requirement for BJJ, so don't worry. You'll only need to worry about havng training partners your size, but I'm sure that won't be a problem either. BJJ will teach you to work with your size.

Its not the size of the boat, its the motion of the ocean...

Excellent Norm Macdonald quote.

I'm like 5'2, 145-150 pounds from weight training and such, and I started out like 115. I have no issues.

definitely not too small. i'm 125ish and was training for 3 and a half years having the time of my life. Just be careful with who you roll with. Some bigger people will roll really hard and might end up hurting you. Got my ACL and meniscus torn a few weeks ago from someone rolling like they were trying to kill me.

Your size shouldn't stop you. Be like water my friend. :D

Being that small will only make you better, you really learn the techniques and postions and the proper way to use them and roll without strength.

I like being the smaller guy :)

i came here to write pretty much this. After 6 months of being one of the smallest guys in class, i've developed pretty good defense and a relatively technical guard (for a white belt).

like others have said, it's pretty rough at first. Be careful rolling with the bigger white belts, because they're the most likely to hurt you. blue belts and up are generally more careful. i also suggest picking up Saulo's Jiu Jitsu University because it focuses a lot on survival and shows you how to stay safe in bad positions. Just be patient and focus on protecting yourself. In a few months, things will start to come together, then it's a lot more fun.

Last edited:
My fiancee is much smaller than you and got her blue belt in only 9 months!

Back