Am I too small to try BJJ?

I respectfully differ on the view by an earlier poster that cardio and strength are the most important things in BJJ (perhaps they are more critical in other styles of grappling). The most important thing in BJJ is not giving up.

Cardio and strength will come in time, but they will be the special kind of cardio and strength that are developed in BJJ. In fact, new guys that have great raw cardio and strength often gas out anyway because they end up clenching their muscles and not breathing. In fact, I see a lot of guys that have their development hindered by relying too much on natural talent and fitness.

My hope is that your partners will not be jerks and smash you too much when you are just getting a feel for things and learning at first. It's a lot harder at first for smaller guys, but trust me, if you stick with it, you will begin to see the results. All the work and patience will pay off when you start tapping big, strong guys and they give you a look like you're some kind of jedi master.

Again, if you put in the mat time, I guarantee that your size will become less and less of a factor. After all, jiu-jitsu was designed for the smaller person to beat the bigger person.

Last edited:
One of the blue belts at my school is 5' at most and she
Could destroy most people with speed and technique and that's what it's all about. It's all Bjj just the way you play is different

everyone has limits, but i don't think you can be too small to try bjj.

i was 124lbs when i started and now i'm about 140 at my biggest. you have to modify things and it seems to be harder on smaller people, but.....

no, you are not too small, so please start.

Being that small will only make you better, you really learn the techniques and postions and the proper way to use them and roll without strength.

I like being the smaller guy :)

I'm an inch shorter and started 10 pounds lighter.

5 years later I'm still training. You're not too small.

your a lot wider than me.
I'm 6 foot, 135 lbs. So no, your not too small

I didn't read the other posts so forgive me if it's already been said.

BJJ was made for people of a smaller stature to overcome larger attackers. If there is any martial art out there you should be doing, it's BJJ.

What everybody else said. I am a 5'3" 135 pound blue belt and I hold my own quite well.

I didn't read the other posts so forgive me if it's already been said.

BJJ was made for people of a smaller stature to overcome larger untrained attackers. If there is any martial art out there you should be doing, it's BJJ.

edited your post to add some emphasis.

while it's designed to let technique nullify strength, the bigger people than you in clas will also have more training.

You're gonna get bullied a hell of a lot. Just don't quit.

No, youre not too small. But if you want to put on more weight, p90x will NOT help you. You need to be doing squats and deadlifts if you want to put on weight. Go to the strength and conditioning forum and read the faqs for more information about lifting and getting bigger.

I'd love to get in to the sport, at least just from non-competitor standpoint, but I worry that being 140 lbs. and 5'8" will make training really hard (keep in mind this is me after spending a year of P90X/etc. - it would be unrealistic to think I will get any bigger).

Side question - I'm looking at Valko BJJ in Chicago, anyone familiar with them, and is it a friendly/good place to start at? I don't have a car, and it's within walking distance, so it's my only real option right now.

Thanks in advance, appreciate any advice, tips, whatever. :icon_chee

You are exactly the same size as Samuel Braga....trust me..if you train.. you will be fine. I watch samuel tap 6'3 guys that are 280 lbs like they are children. You'll do fine, just get in there and start training.

No, youre not too small. But if you want to put on more weight, p90x will NOT help you. You need to be doing squats and deadlifts if you want to put on weight. Go to the strength and conditioning forum and read the faqs for more information about lifting and getting bigger.

this. I was about 140 when starting bjj. I'm a blue belt now and I've been lifting heavy for the past couple months(working out for a while now). I now sit around 148. you can definitely gain size if you have the proper workout regimen and diet. don't worry about size so much. just go and train. you have to realize that the people will have been doing this sport much longer than you. so, naturally, they will be better at first. their extra weight will only add to your discomfort. however, just stick with it, show up often and soon you will be the one smashing them.

I was 5'0" in height when I started now I'm 5'6"! wow!

I was 135 lbs in weight when I started now I'm 160lbs!

Helio Gracie was 6'5", 235 lbs, so that must be the minimum height and weight, otherwise they won't let you train...

Seriously, we've got 4'10" girls training, so height and weight are not factors, just the determination to learn...

yes, you are far too small. go try one of those martial arts that was designed for smaller peopl-- oh wait.

also, 5'8 140 isn't really THAT small, there are definitely smaller people I've rolled with.

The only thing you need is the perseverance to keep training even though you get smashed most of the time, until you get good enough.

Back