Am I the only one who thinks competitions are worthless?

BJJ community is becoming self centered and delusional like those TKD folks. The art has lost self-defense application to a large extent. Instead of taking down and defeating bigger, stronger guys in a no hold barred tournament, the whole BJJ art is now focused on defeating itself under narrow rules which it has created for itself. At least TKD had some aesthetics to it and was pleasing to watch purely for its acrobatics. BJJ doesn't even have that!!! Its only selling point was to dominate and destroy bigger, stronger faster strikers in NHB. It has totally lost that and turned martial arts into a butt scooting competition. But ... within the fantasy world we BJJ guys create for ourselves, this is evidence of two "athletes" showing equivalent "technique." The same lot will then laugh at Taekwondo people about how disconnected their art is with realities of hand to hand combat.

Or at least the IBJJF rules of competition?

I was watching a few matches the other day on YouTube with all of the well-known guys, the guys who dedicate their entire lives to jiu jitsu and train every day, multiple times a day, and that's all they ever do. I wasn't impressed with any of the performances. I saw one guy chill and stall out in 50/50 guard and another guy never passing. Nothing was happening. The guy on top never passed but won and then proceeded to cheer and fistpump like he achieved something huge and like he even did anything at all, when in reality he didn't do a damn thing. People dedicate their lives for performances like these? Performances and matches that don't pay anything, mind you. Seems like a lot of sacrifice and not a whole lot of pay off. It seems the only pay off would be for bragging rights and the ego.

I feel like these type of matches don't prove who's more skilled or who's better, it just proves who's more skilled in exploiting the holes in the scoring system. I feel like any number of recreational grapplers I've seen who treat this as a hobby could have done the exact same thing that I saw in that match.

If I'm at all looking at competition the wrong way, I'd like to hear your what you guys think.

I totally agree with you TS. A lot of the competitors are just there to win on points and advantages to get to the next round. The scoring system doesn't force them to work. I would love to see a rule change which allowed more action and awarded guys who look to finish

1. make a qualifying round one day then the next day the final 16 fight

2. make the the matches 7-8 mins long to force action. I feel 10 mins is too long and tiring over one day

3. guard pulling needs to -1 advantage. im sick of seeing double guard pulls. give 4 points for a takedown instead of two.

4. ban 50/50! yes ban it as it leads to stalling. or set a time limit on that position so they can go for footlocks/ sweep.

5. yellow cards for obvious stalling. the ref should call for action more frequently.

6. in the case of a draw the fighter who was most aggressive or came closest to the finish is awarded the win by the judges/ref

you see at these pro/ submission only tournaments REAL BJJ action where guys go at it knowing they dont have to worry about losing to silly advantages. i loved the brown belt kumite with no time limits that separates real fighters from point winners

--

also i wanna say i do get BJJ and i do train and watch the comps. I just dont like the stalling and guys trying to win on points. I have watched the mundials since the early 2000's when jacare was going through guys with aggression and a will to finish. not guard pulling and playing for an advantages. I want the rule set to change for the better. recent pro tournaments have shown that BJJ can be an amazing spectator sport under the right rule set

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from TS. I love jiujitsu, but nothing is more disheartening than seeing two guys pull guard at the same time and not want to come on top. It's boring and that is all there is to it. I appreciate the level of top competitors and there are good matches, but watching two people stall out with an advantage is ugly. I am not saying this happens all the time, but when it does it sucks.

I really enjoy old school matches where people seemed to be more submission oriented.

there needs to be more takedowns in the sport. we need to start modeling after guys like jacare again :/

BJJ community is becoming self centered and delusional like those TKD folks. The art has lost self-defense application to a large extent. Instead of taking down and defeating bigger, stronger guys in a no hold barred tournament, the whole BJJ art is now focused on defeating itself under narrow rules which it has created for itself. At least TKD had some aesthetics to it and was pleasing to watch purely for its acrobatics. BJJ doesn't even have that!!! Its only selling point was to dominate and destroy bigger, stronger faster strikers in NHB. It has totally lost that and turned martial arts into a butt scooting competition. But ... within the fantasy world we BJJ guys create for ourselves, this is evidence of two "athletes" showing equivalent "technique." The same lot will then laugh at Taekwondo people about how disconnected their art is with realities of hand to hand combat.

Oh lawd....this post is too much real life.

Yeah but in my example that I gave in one of my comps, the guy pulled guard and didn't really try anything. I couldn't really pass his guard either, but they gave me the win 2-0 and called his guard pull a "takedown" for me. So I didn't really win, the other guy just defeated himself. He was the much better grappler for sure yet he still lost. At the end of the day, this doesn't mean that I'm a better grappler, not by a long shot. It just means I didn't engage much. Idk this troubles me.

What do you suggest?
You want no time limit sub-only comps even when there are hundreds of competitors?
Maybe you should stfu and work on your guard passing

Or at least the IBJJF rules of competition?

I was watching a few matches the other day on YouTube with all of the well-known guys, the guys who dedicate their entire lives to jiu jitsu and train every day, multiple times a day, and that's all they ever do. I wasn't impressed with any of the performances. I saw one guy chill and stall out in 50/50 guard and another guy never passing. Nothing was happening. The guy on top never passed but won and then proceeded to cheer and fistpump like he achieved something huge and like he even did anything at all, when in reality he didn't do a damn thing. People dedicate their lives for performances like these? Performances and matches that don't pay anything, mind you. Seems like a lot of sacrifice and not a whole lot of pay off. It seems the only pay off would be for bragging rights and the ego.

I feel like these type of matches don't prove who's more skilled or who's better, it just proves who's more skilled in exploiting the holes in the scoring system. I feel like any number of recreational grapplers I've seen who treat this as a hobby could have done the exact same thing that I saw in that match.

If I'm at all looking at competition the wrong way, I'd like to hear your what you guys think.

Really? REALLY? Dumbest thing I've ever read. Are you high?

What do you suggest?
You want no time limit sub-only comps even when there are hundreds of competitors?
Maybe you should stfu and work on your guard passing

I definitely need to work on my guard passing, no doubt about that.

However, if I keep winning this way with horrible passing, or in the case of my last match, non-existent passing, and I keep winning matches under the point system this way, there really isn't a need for me to work on it though, is there?

I'm not suggesting no time limits or sub only, but I shouldn't have won. Neither should the other guy. IMO it should've been a draw.

Really? REALLY? Dumbest thing I've ever read. Are you high?

I'm not saying throw a recreational grappler against a guy who trains 24/7 and lives, eats, breathes, and craps BJJ.

No. What I'm saying is two recreational grapplers going at it could have the same style match where nothing happens just the same as two people who train 24/7, as was the case in the match I saw. I don't see what separates the recreational grappler from the devout BJJ lifestyle practioner.

Is amazing cardio and superb technique really required to stay in the same position for the duration of the match? I'm not getting it, as another person pointed out.

I'm not saying throw a recreational grappler against a guy who trains 24/7 and lives, eats, breathes, and craps BJJ.

No. What I'm saying is two recreational grapplers going at it could have the same style match where nothing happens just the same as two people who train 24/7, as was the case in the match I saw. I don't see what separates the recreational grappler from the devout BJJ lifestyle practioner.

Is amazing cardio and superb technique really required to stay in the same position for the duration of the match? I'm not getting it, as another person pointed out.

Yes. Yes, it is.

If a recreational grappler went against anyone and found themselves in the guard, chances are, the match would not be long at all.

Sometimes, two elite grapplers are so close in skill that even a failed sweep attempt can be the end of the match. They are doing a lot, though to an inexperienced viewer, it could be viewed as stalling or doing little at all.

Part of what is exciting in a high level BJJ match is the match itself: For those who understand what's going on, positioning and points can be exciting. It's a sport, and it isn't MMA. It's different, but the point system currently supports an MMA style of grappling.

My advice is to understand whats going on and get to know what it's about before trying to dismiss it as worthless.

BJJ comps are not there to determine who has the best BJJ IMO. There are too many rules and unrealistic variables that come into play that wouldnt in a street fight. Self defense is the original purpose of BJJ although it has changed now. Comp is the main focus as it is free advertising for clubs.
Comp has its advantages though. It teaches you to control your nerves when performing in front of crowds.
Some say this is the same as a street fight but I disagree. I street fight happens in front of small groups and usually happens quickly. No time to get nervous or mentally screw yourself up waiting for your fight.
Fear. I have never felt fear in a BJJ comp of getting seriously hurt or dying which is something yo have to consider in a street fight.

However, if I keep winning this way with horrible passing, or in the case of my last match, non-existent passing, and I keep winning matches under the point system this way, there really isn't a need for me to work on it though, is there?

a) It probably won't happen again
b) If you were truly trying to stall, for example, then the ref would award your opponent an advantage, followed by points if the stalling persists

I watched a game of Soccer recently,

It was completey shit, Not one goal.

It was the EPL and so these guys were supposed to be good.

Were they also laying on the field on their butts?

Nah, but they were rolling around on their backs holding their knees a lot.

Which thought was a bit strange but I must say their hair looked fantastic!!!

(Flat mate is a big soccer fan so I give it shit at every opportunity, but I am actually going to a game this weekend).

I mean it kind of doesn't make sense to not want to compete because you don't like it, because you have to consider the fact that this sport is not neutral; you have to dominate somebody else to win. This is a win/lose game, and I don't understand how you cannot like competing when it's what this sport is all about. It's about seeing who can submit the opponent, seeing who's better.

Ryron did not TOY with Andre.

He survived and that's it.

Uh, he did actually. And Andre knew it. Hence his running away the last 5 minutes, refusing to engage, and then the whining at the end while gasping for air.

Is Galvao taking chances by attempting subs?

Yes. Any time you go for a sub you create an opening. ..That's why he never fully committed to the lapel choke he set up over 9,000 times. He was afraid of the circumstances.

..IIRC, he never actually attempted a sub. Watch it again. (If you find one, give me the time stamp please) Ryron at least went for a foot lock, and was stalking him down as the clock ticked away.

You have to be a shill or a worshiper of Ryron to think this. It's much easier to protect yourself from submissions than it is to engage in them successfully against a resisting opponent.

Seriously, Ryron got controlled and passed repeatedly. He tried one lousy submission attempt.

Now, I'm not saying that Ryron is crap. He's very good, but you're just showing either your ignorance or your bias here.

Neither ignorance nor bias on my part, I don't really like either one.

Ryron didn't get "passed repeatedly" - he fucking let Galvao take him down and just move to side mount. The one time he mounted Ryron, he fell immediately for a while belt escape. How many subs did Andre *go for*? None. He held the lapel, and held it, and held s'more. He even almost thought about it for one second (his hand reaches, but he decides it's a bad idea, and just locks back down in side control). He was "defending" just as much as Ryron.

If these positions (side mount for 10 minutes, mount for a few seconds, knee on belly) were so damn important, why couldn't he sub Ryron from them?

That's the reason they shouldn't be awarded points. Getting to the position means fuck all if you can do nothing with it.

This doesn't make the entire system worthless. They'll move beyond 50/50 and into whatever is next. It will keep progressing and rules will change to keep the sport moving in the right direction.

Furthermore, you rarely see that sort of game being played at lower levels. Those matches are much more dynamic.

In the black belt divisions, in championship rounds, you are seeing the top athletes in the world in their sport, both physically and mentally, cancelling each other out. Even the slightest error can mean the difference between winning and losing.

Some people really like that sort of match. Others like a wide open match. Thankfully, there is enough variety in BJJ that in any given tournament, you'll have all sorts of different types of matches.

You continue to harp on individual matches, but I simply do not see this as a reality across the entire plane of competition.

..It does make the system worthless. Not that there are no exciting IBJJF matches (certainly are!) but the "points system" is ridiculous as it currently stands. Things like knee reaping are maddening too.

You're arguing against yourselves here. The positions are *so* important they can win you matches, you're dominating, right? ..but we've been shown an excellent example of that not happening, despite Ryron basically giving Andre every one of them.

Then leave. We don't need you.

Wow, that's rude. But guess what, no one needs you either. So leave. (See how childish that sounds? "I'll take my toys and go home" like you own the fucking forum or something.) Ridiculous.

You clearly never learned respect or "check your ego at the door" homie. :rolleyes:

Yes. Yes, it is.

If a recreational grappler went against anyone and found themselves in the guard, chances are, the match would not be long at all.

Uh, no. It doesn't. I couldn't run a 1/4 mile, but I can hold guard against someone willing to play "stalemate" with me for 40 minutes +. I'm definitely what you'd call a "recreational grappler" and have no thoughts that I could do something like that to any legitimate high lvl grappler, but someone like me? My size? I'll keep them there for 10 minutes easy. With no cardio, and little technique.

Someone gets it.

Last edited:
Uh, he did actually. And Andre knew it. Hence his running away the last 5 minutes, refusing to engage, and then the whining at the end while gasping for air.

Uh, not he didn't actually.

Don't come in here and talk like it is common knowledge that this is how it when, when there are many reasonable people (in fact, most people) that simply don't see it that way.

Wow, that's rude. But guess what, no one needs you either. So leave. (See how childish that sounds? "I'll take my toys and go home" like you own the fucking forum or something.) Ridiculous.

I don't need to leave the art. I'm not the one complaining about the current point system. So, all I really see is that you have no idea how to make a rational argument. I wasn't telling him to leave the forum...just the art.

That's the reason they shouldn't be awarded points. Getting to the position means fuck all if you can do nothing with it.

Not that there are no exciting IBJJF matches (certainly are!) but the "points system" is ridiculous as it currently stands. Things like knee reaping are maddening too.

So what is are the rules for your ideal tourney?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back