Am I overtraining?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Sakuraba is #1, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Sakuraba is #1

Sakuraba is #1 Blue Belt

I do a lot high intensity workouts (similar to Crossfit), but lately I feel like I've hit a wall. My strength is decreasing, I get fatigued quicker and I don't seem to be advancing in performance. Nothing has changed in terms of routine: sleep, diet and workout intensity. I usually workout five days a week. Is it time for me to take a break? If so, how long should that be?

2. IronWolverine**

IronWolverine** White Belt

My suggestion would be a week off! Let your body ,fully recover.

3. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

It's impossible to say without knowing your full routine, how long you've been doing it, and a host of other information that would still make the question hard to answer.

The likelihood is that you're probably burned out and mildly overreaching and just need a small break of deload. But again, that suggestion is not based on your individual conditions; it's based on how difficult it is to truly overtrain.

How long have you been going at near full intensity? When's the last time you took a week or had a deload?

4. BoxingFan123

BoxingFan123 Purple Belt

Cut some cardio

5. irc

irc Brown Belt

Yes, you're overtrained. Take a break. A couple days to a week. See how you feel.

6. Sakuraba is #1

Sakuraba is #1 Blue Belt

I've been doing Crossfit type workouts for over a year now. The most time ever I took off was four days. But just in the last couple of months I feel like I've taken a step backwards. My overall performance: strength, endurance, speed, desire and mental focus have decreased to about 30% of what I was at my peak. Even bodyweight exercises: pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups have gotten worse. I was able to do 30 regular pull-ups in a row at one point and now I can barely do 20 and I'm already fatigued. Maybe I need to switch things up or just take a long break?

7. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

You've been doing MetCon 5 days a week for a year straight and the most you've taken off is four days in that year?

I'd say yes you should take a break.

8. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Orange Belt

5 days a week for a year without more than a couple days off?

Damn dude.

I was gonna tell you to take a week off, but now I'm gonna say take a month off.

9. Artigo

Artigo Blue Belt

This.

I deload every four weeks

10. zx

zx adventurer

How much, in %?

11. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

Yes take a deload week every four to six weeks. It will do you wonders and you'll come back refreshed.

12. BIKES!

BIKES! So then I said... Platinum Member

When I lifted hard I would take 1.5 weeks of every 7 weeks to recharge. The first week back was always an insane go

13. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

Hmm so deload weeks are good? Aight then. What exactly is involved in a deload week? Breaks, whatever % off weights doing the same routine?

14. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

If you've been doing this type of working out for that long with that amount of frequency and intensity. I'd think you would have a good grasp of your body and it's weaknesses and or symptoms of over-training.

No one person can specifically identify if you over-training without an extensive list of info on your routines, strength gains, rep schemes, etc. If you notice a loss in strength or conditioning in certain exercises and routines, focus on assisting yourself in those areas. It should be your responsibility to yourself to keep an extensive journal for training to notice and weaknesses and to adjust as needed to overcome any plateaus as they come up.

As said originally if you feel losses resting is a vital and integral part of any training routine. After a good few days or weeks of deloading go back and try any part of your routine that you felt losses and if better then the deloading was needed if not to standards yet assist yourself based on what you feel is necessary.

15. Morganation

Morganation Brown Belt

Haha no shit,thats insane.