Am I not cut out for bjj?

Actually I never seen or heard of someone that train for 2 years at twice a week and do not improve at all.

I doubt he's not actually improving, but rather believes they're not improving. I've known several guys that struggle with this. The belief that they aren't getting better when, in actuality, they are.

I have been at the stuff off and on for years. I rolled with a muscley less experienced guy two weeks ago and ended up spraining my lcl.

I am stuck to rolling with kids or small women now, because of it.

But, whatever, there will always be someone better, stronger, or faster. As long as I progress, I am happy.

With everyone I train with I have to change my goals.

And if I cant train because of my body, then I need to adapt, and work around that.

The martial way is different for everyone, and its greatest reward is internal.

Well to be fair, I myself have been training for 2 and a half years and usually weigh around 118 - 120kg. There's a guy who has come and begun training just a few weeks ago, who outweighs me by a good deal and actually has so much muscle in his pectoral area he cannot bring his elbows together to touch lol. Anyway, this guy has only been training a few weeks, and granted I have been giving him top position because he's new and granted he's never come within a country mile of tapping me out but he has literally just started, muscles everything, but man he definitely gives me a lot of trouble. Given a few months I'd put the smart money on he smokes me no trouble.

If he's muscling everything, I don't know why you would think he'll be tapping you soon. If anything, he's going to tire himself out like that and be easy pickings after just a few minutes of fruitlessly trying to muscle you around. If you have sound fundamentals, its easy to play defensive guard and let him burn himself out.

If you've been training for 2.5 years, I'm sure you've seen bigger stronger guys get owned by much smaller guys. BJJ is about efficient technique, period. Strength obviously helps, but it's WAY WAY less efficient if you don't have sound technique to go with it.

And don't be intimidated by a strong new guy. Look at him as a challenging new training partner who's going to help you learn to use clean technique. It's not a competition and the more you get your ass kicked in practice, the more you learn and the better you get.

I think you must learn to accept bjj as true lifestyle. I have been rolling for nearly 9 years now(proud purple belt btw) and occasionally, such as right now, I get disgruntled and frustrated and want to quit. Nevertheless, I still show up and train and push myself to learn and most imprortantly have fun. In pushinh myself to train and over the long term, gratification from bjj training manifests itself in mininscule forms such as hitting an armbar I have worked to perfect, escaping a sub attempt from a higher belt, passing someone's guard even giving a good though ultimately un-victorious fight to a higher level guy.

Can't wait to train !

I doubt he's not actually improving, but rather believes they're not improving. I've known several guys that struggle with this. The belief that they aren't getting better when, in actuality, they are.

Well, we all been there but at least you can see how much you improved by the time you start rolling with newbies.
It is not the case of ts.

If he's muscling everything, I don't know why you would think he'll be tapping you soon. If anything, he's going to tire himself out like that and be easy pickings after just a few minutes of fruitlessly trying to muscle you around. If you have sound fundamentals, its easy to play defensive guard and let him burn himself out.

If you've been training for 2.5 years, I'm sure you've seen bigger stronger guys get owned by much smaller guys. BJJ is about efficient technique, period. Strength obviously helps, but it's WAY WAY less efficient if you don't have sound technique to go with it.

And don't be intimidated by a strong new guy. Look at him as a challenging new training partner who's going to help you learn to use clean technique. It's not a competition and the more you get your ass kicked in practice, the more you learn and the better you get.

Yep, that's definitely the way to look at it. I agree.

Well, we all been there but at least you can see how much you improved by the time you start rolling with newbies.
It is not the case of ts.

He never said that. He said he is "losing to guys that started after me." Doesn't really indicate newbs. Could be guys that have been training for 1.5 or 1 year(s).

Sometimes I wish people who don't feel they are progressing could roll with themselves from 6 months ago. Odds are, they'd smash that version of themselves.

Yep, that's definitely the way to look at it. I agree.

And you already know this, but I'd also encourage you to think in terms of promoting a collegial environment. Rolling with the same guys every week and taking pleasure in their progress as well as yours is what's it's all about.

If the same guy keeps tapping you this week, and the next, and the next, cool. Turn it into a friendly competition and tell him you've finally got him right where you want him. No one wants to roll with that guy who's so competitive he can't handle losing in practice. The important thing is keeping it challenging and most importantly, fun.

He never said that. He said he is "losing to guys that started after me." Doesn't really indicate newbs. Could be guys that have been training for 1.5 or 1 year(s).

Sometimes I wish people who don't feel they are progressing could roll with themselves from 6 months ago. Odds are, they'd smash that version of themselves.

You are correct.

I understood it as newbies.

People that start after you will beat you up if they train more often than you.

I think you don't like losing.

BJJ is not for you.

I think you don't like losing.

BJJ is not for you.

The worst thing is that the better you get, the smaller the thing you count as a loss.

I saw a legit black belt get butterfly guard swept one day by a middling student twice his size. The black belt was a good sport and could do no wrong the rest of the night but you could tell it aggravated him.

The worst thing is that the better you get, the smaller the thing you count as a loss.

I saw a legit black belt get butterfly guard swept one day by a middling student twice his size. The black belt was a good sport and could do no wrong the rest of the night but you could tell it aggravated him.

When I was purple belt, I swept a bb that was at least 25 kg smaller than me. And it was situational rolling which meant he started from closed guard. A position that he never be in at the first place.

The bb actually went and told the head instructor about it later on.

I will quote someone: "as I promote to bb, I now pity you. Everyone on earth is now looking at that target on your back".

If you like it, you're cut out for it.

And you already know this, but I'd also encourage you to think in terms of promoting a collegial environment. Rolling with the same guys every week and taking pleasure in their progress as well as yours is what's it's all about.

If the same guy keeps tapping you this week, and the next, and the next, cool. Turn it into a friendly competition and tell him you've finally got him right where you want him. No one wants to roll with that guy who's so competitive he can't handle losing in practice. The important thing is keeping it challenging and most importantly, fun.

Yeah there's one guy in my class who won't roll with me at all because I tapped him twice one time like a year ago. He's tapped me out too, but for some reason I guess he doesn't like running the risk lol. Never competes, probably for the same reason. Always likes to "coach" other people on stuff and whatnot.

Not that I'm sitting there in class focusing on motes instead of beams or anything, just something I noticed and remind myself of to help me be mindful lest I fall into the same mentality. I'm thankful that I was taught long ago there are only two outcomes in a fight; either you win, or you learn. There is no loss.

I don't roll, I just wrestled and currently coach wrestling, but I thought I would give my thoughts. You joined BJJ for recreation. I am sure there are other reasons, but that is the main one. Don't focus on the winning and losing, truly enjoy your time on the mats. It should be a time where you can escape your worries and problems in life. I know when I am coaching or wrestling, there is not another thought on my mind.

I like what Nnedd said, if you like it then you're cut out for it. Take a step back and remember why you roll. It isn't about winning, it's about much more. You're being WAY too hard on yourself and I imagine that you're exaggerating your claims in the OP.

Yeah there's one guy in my class who won't roll with me at all because I tapped him twice one time like a year ago. He's tapped me out too, but for some reason I guess he doesn't like running the risk lol. Never competes, probably for the same reason. Always likes to "coach" other people on stuff and whatnot.

Not that I'm sitting there in class focusing on motes instead of beams or anything, just something I noticed and remind myself of to help me be mindful lest I fall into the same mentality. I'm thankful that I was taught long ago there are only two outcomes in a fight; either you win, or you learn. There is no loss.

You got it. But man, that guy sounds like a real dick. And the type that's never going to improve.

probably AIDs. If l learned anything from straight outta compton, you will prolly die soon anyways. sorry op

Does everyone get those periods where they get pretty demoralised though? Going through a period right now where I'm seeing everyone else who started training after I did pass me by, skillwise, and I seem to be going completely backwards from where I ever even got to. At present I can't even hold my own against somebody who has been training for maybe a month or so, also I've noticed everyone else has changed physically since they started training; looking leaner and more in shape. I weigh the exact same amount as I did 2 years ago when I started training. Not making any progress in any direction at all, and in the back of my mind I'm always wondering if people are just looking at me like a big joke; "what's this dumbass still even doing here?" kind of a thing.

Fuckin sucks, can't wait till something happens and some change breaks through.

Does everyone get those periods where they get pretty demoralised though? Going through a period right now where I'm seeing everyone else who started training after I did pass me by, skillwise, and I seem to be going completely backwards from where I ever even got to. At present I can't even hold my own against somebody who has been training for maybe a month or so, also I've noticed everyone else has changed physically since they started training; looking leaner and more in shape. I weigh the exact same amount as I did 2 years ago when I started training. Not making any progress in any direction at all, and in the back of my mind I'm always wondering if people are just looking at me like a big joke; "what's this dumbass still even doing here?" kind of a thing.

Fuckin sucks, can't wait till something happens and some change breaks through.

Yes, most people get frustrated with plateaus in personal development. Especially the early years. My advice, stop comparing yourself to others. Compare yourself to your past self. Do that, and your improvements should be more obvious.

Yes, most people get frustrated with plateaus in personal development. Especially the early years. My advice, stop comparing yourself to others. Compare yourself to your past self. Do that, and your improvements should be more obvious.

Yes, trouble is I'm pretty sure the me from, say, a year ago could mop the mat with me today. Something's happened where I've kind of gone downhill or something, I dunno. Hard to quite explain.

Back